• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    I'm a 100% disabled 'Nam Vet. Please tell me more about the discount, and any more you may remember. Thanks

Hmmmmmm, Lowe's huh? Or Loewe's the movie theater company?

Ya, Lowes, the hardware store, Lowes and Home Depot both offer a 10% discount all the time to military (likely current and former). They do ask for ID though. A friend told me about it (of course a week after I just remodeled an full bath). That's really the only one I know of, I generally don't ask people if they offer it.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I never got BAH (housing allowance) when I was was in college in from 2002-2004, 2006-2007. My tuition was paid for and I got the GI bill stipend, and that was more than enough. I did not need to get a job, and I lived comfortably. And the benefits today are only higher. We have awesome benefits, and you get more than the people that have preceded you. So quit complaining about the couple of weeks a year that they pause your benefits, and be thankful that you get them in the first place.

Who is *****ing? We signed a contract guaranteeing us so much money for the life of our GI Bill. I used to get close to $600 in book stipends for 9 credit hours. Eight credit hours is considered full time. This semester I only got $350. You do realize books are not cheap right? Also, no matter if I was on semester break or not I would get my whole housing allowance, now it's pro-rated. On top of that, we now only get 80% of our housing allowance which cut mine back over $200 a month. My friends got cut back over $400 a month. Yet, the Government spends Millions of dollars for welfare benefits for Illegal Immigrants. Nothing but leaches sucking off every tax payers money. I supppose you consider that to be alright though?

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Why do you expect the Sodomy from Uncle Sam to stop or change just because you went from Active Military to Veteran...

I expect the Government to stand by their word. Rather if it's realistic or not. If we sit back and do nothing, then they will contiune to give us the shaft!

dead2rights

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Indiana
    Ya, Lowes, the hardware store, Lowes and Home Depot both offer a 10% discount all the time to military (likely current and former). They do ask for ID though. A friend told me about it (of course a week after I just remodeled an full bath). That's really the only one I know of, I generally don't ask people if they offer it.

Sorry to hear that man, bath remodels aren't cheap. I ALWAYS ask if places offer because most places that offer military discounts do it because they want to help us. Certain cases may come up to where they forget to tell us about their specials and If I don't ask about it I might not get it. :yesway:

Sean

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 6, 2011
    That's the problem with the way this country is heading no respect for our service members. They cut vet benefits but have no problem educating and taking care of individuals that are here illegally, maybe we should take care of those that protect us first. Thanks all the vets in this thread you are appreciated!

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Both the OP and U.S. Patriot made good points. The administration and congress take vets for granted.

I am a retired vet and use the VA some of my service connected medical treatment. I now pay a co-pay for each visit. The med techs at the VA are wonderful people who are forced to jump through many bureaucratic hoops by poorly crafted laws.

I work with many military members using the GI Bill. The cut-backs are busting morale and causing a lot of frustration for a few extra $$$ saved.

Udderchaos

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    NW Indy
    I can relate to both Jeremy and U.S. Patriot. But, veterans are close to the last in the money line. The bs my recruiter told me about getting a free education and other benefits. Humorous now..

The one thing the government CAN"T take away from me is the pride and satisfaction knowing I served the greatest country in the world. :patriot:

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    It is the government, what do you expect. Obviously they should be cutting somewhere else first but if they cut everything off, even my dad, I do not think I would have a problem with it.

the money is not there and it must be taken from someone else for it to be given to anyone. Just another Ponzi scheme. it is time for current people to quit paying for someone elses promises

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I can relate to both Jeremy and U.S. Patriot. But, veterans are close to the last in the money line. The bs my recruiter told me about getting a free education and other benefits. Humorous now..

The one thing the government CAN"T take away from me is the pride and satisfaction knowing I served the greatest country in the world. :patriot:
    Thank you for your service. You are right, they cannot take that away from you.:patriot:

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere

our government leaders are slowly stripping us of the rights to that title IMO

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    Disabled veterans in Indiana also used to get in-state tuition for their children for free, however with the recent changes, it is now percentage based. God forbid, we went into combat risking our lives but yet these politicians can sit at their desks making 6 figures to tell us our benefits are getting cut! They wouldn't even be able to do that if it wasn't for us.

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    It sucks but I think that this is just the beginning. If you're using your post 9/11 GI Bill, I'd do it soon. It's easier politically cut veteran's benefits than it is to cutoff the welfare queens or unionized government emloyees.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I have written both my Congressman and Senator. It may not change anyhting, but at least I can say I did more than talk. Maybe we need to organize a rally on the State House lawn. Actions speak much louder than words.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    why should you get the housing allowence if your not in school, plus they still charged you months of benefits anyway but you wouldn't be getting any education, just housing allowence.

It has nothing to do with obama or lazy congressmen, it has to do with making sure you don't burn up your benefits over summer break.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    why should you get the housing allowence if your not in school, plus they still charged you months of benefits anyway but you wouldn't be getting any education, just housing allowence.

It has nothing to do with obama or lazy congressmen, it has to do with making sure you don't burn up your benefits over summer break.

no it doesn't.....you ARE in school...you are a full time student simply because the school makes you take a break from classes is out of your control...........

..it maxes at 4 weeks.....meaning any break under 4 weeks you get pro-rated housing allowance.......so say you pay 800/month for your dorm(which is considerably lower than most dorms) and get 1000/month for BAH.....December comes and you get a 2 week break between semesters for Xmas....you just got payed only 500 for that months allowance meaning now you have to find an employer to give you a job for only those two weeks to make up the difference.......how many employers do you know will hire a student for a week at a time??

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    it has nothing to do with summer break......you don't get BAH during the summer anyway...never did...that hasn't changed..................the ONLY way you rate BAH during summer is if your taking a full time course load of summer classes all summer long

Top Bottom