• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy60

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Central IN
    In CCW's have a duty to inform. If you watched the Video you can see the guy trying to say something to the Officer but the Officer keeps cutting him off and screaming/threatening him. How can someone tell you something if you keep telling them to shut up and threatening to kill them? What Academy teaches this type of questioning technique?

That is exactly my point. If the officer had pulled the driver from the car and secured him he would have asked "do you have anything on you that may hurt me." Ahh yes in fact I do. That is what I amm trying to convey, I have a legal concealed weapon.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Wait, so you are obligated to notify an officer of your carry gun in Ohio?
    do we Have to do this in Indiana too?
    It is an Ohio law, you have no duty to inform any LEO in Indiana, but you may choose to too. Message Titanium_Frost and ask him, after taking Guy Relfords class( Tactical Firearms Training) he has since changed his mind that he will notify every time.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    It is an Ohio law, you have no duty to inform any LEO in Indiana, but you may choose to too. Message Titanium_Frost and ask him, after taking Guy Relfords class( Tactical Firearms Training) he has since changed his mind that he will notify every time.

This is true. In Indiana you have no DUTY to inform, but doing so means that you take advantage of case law and are in a better position to not be unsafely disarmed during a police encounter.

It is an individual decision and one that should be planned for ahead of time, but allowed to be flexible as well. :twocents:

Manan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    West Central
    This is true. In Indiana you have no DUTY to inform, but doing so means that you take advantage of case law and are in a better position to not be unsafely disarmed during a police encounter.

It is an individual decision and one that should be planned for ahead of time, but allowed to be flexible as well. :twocents:

Titanium Frost, could you please elaborate on this. I am very much interested learning more.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Do a quick search for Melvin Washington v. State (indiana) here on INGO and on google.

There are several threads and hundreds of posts on the subject. Perhaps the best source is from one of my threads where I changed my stance on the subject. The title was "do you inform" or something like that. I think I explained it in detail there. If you aren't clear or can't find it make a new thread so we don't derail this thread with a complex discussion.

undeRGRound

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2012
    Do a quick search for Melvin Washington v. State (indiana) here on INGO and on google.

There are several threads and hundreds of posts on the subject. Perhaps the best source is from one of my threads where I changed my stance on the subject. The title was "do you inform" or something like that. I think I explained it in detail there. If you aren't clear or can't find it make a new thread so we don't derail this thread with a complex discussion.

If there is a new post, please link back here so we can find it! TIA

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    Canton wants arbitrator?s ruling on Harless thrown out - Canton, OH - CantonRep.com <-- The city actually appealed the arbitrator's decision to allow him to return to work once cleared medically. They don't want him back because of recent rulings saying that cities are liable for the actions of hired and reinstated employees' conduct. That's only up to July 14th, though.

BTW: It looks like Canton has fired 10 cops in the past x years and all of them have been given reinstatement by the arbitrator. This is the first one they've appealed because of the reasons above.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Why does he get the $40K, fire his sorry ass excuse for a LEO and be done with him.

Edit:: I realize that he WAS fired and they were forced to rehire him and basically strike a deal, but let's get real. Why does a man, who acted illegally and unethically, get a $40K check for being a dumbass?

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Officer Harless wins the grand prize of $40,000 from the city's taxpayers, a neutral job recommendation, and a "retired officer" ID (presumably can now carry under LEOSA for the rest of his life) for threatening to murder a citizen and abusing his authority under color of law. Your tax dollars at work, ladies and gentlemen.

To Scutter01,

I get how you are feeling. Not the best end for someone with that lack of discipline.

At least it appears that the city has tried to do the right thing by getting rid of a loose cannon. Sometimes the best we can do still sucks.

I am content that this man will probably not have undue authority over anyone else again!

Regards,

Doug

Last edited:

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Unbelievable! At least this dirtbag is gone. Coming to a city near you? Quite possibly!!! Someone needs to follow this guy and rile up the local Indians if he tries to get a job In their city. Keep this dangerous jerk unemployed for life!

thankfully with technology and citizens standing up, more and more cops like this that get "protected" will be looking for new careers and maybe even being cell mates with bubba.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Brandonki
    Top Bottom