• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I wonder if the mayor and police chief lay awake at night for the past several weeks, knowing this was coming like a freight train with no brakes, or did they somehow hope and pray that it was going to miraculously pass them by.

Why would they? They're not the ones that screwed up. Unless you count that extortion thing.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    Why would they? They're not the ones that screwed up. Unless you count that extortion thing.

The mayors I know consider their town almost like their child -- in that anything that hurts their town causes them pain also. This is a real black eye for Canton and regardless of the culpability (or non-culpability) of the mayor he has to be feeling really badly now. Not that that bothers me.

And what police chief wants his department exposed to national ridicule. Yes, of course the chief could have avoided it if he had done his job honorably and with integrity. But still, being treated like a pinata is never fun, no matter how much it is deserved.

The possible good news is that some other towns will learn from Canton's rightful sufferings... and this kind of nonsense will be minimized. One can always hope.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    The mayors I know consider their town almost like their child -- in that anything that hurts their town causes them pain also.

It's Canton. Canton would be the problem child always causing embarrassment and trips to the school to meet with the principal in your analogy.

Absolutely disgusting place and run down region of Ohio. I feel for the people stuck there trying to raise kids.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    How could you people have the gall to bring this all up the day after those two cops in Chicago were shot?!? ;)

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I just emailed the Canton Chief of Police (dean.mckimm@cantonohio.gov) and the visitors bureau to let them know of my disgust. However email to the mayor (William Healy II) didn't go through. Don't know why. I hope enough people dump on them that they dread getting out of bed. (BTW, I've never seen a thread grow as fast as this one has. Evidently there are a lot of really p***ed people here and rightly so.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    What's that got to do with anything? A cop getting shot in Chicago doesn't mitigate what a punk POS cop in Canton did.

It was sarcasm based on another thread were someone brought up some cops who were on trial for crimes committed in NOLA during Katrina, and some INGO LEO's got all butt-hurt because it was brought up on the day a Terre Haute cop was shot.

You aren't allowed to say unflattering things about cops on the day another cop gets shot. Even if it is totally unrelated.

Smitty506th

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Don't you sleep well knowing these are the kind of guys that make it through the psych and lie detector tests........ and "protect and serve".......

jsgolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Greenwood
    The mayors I know consider their town almost like their child -- in that anything that hurts their town causes them pain also. This is a real black eye for Canton and regardless of the culpability (or non-culpability) of the mayor he has to be feeling really badly now. Not that that bothers me.

And what police chief wants his department exposed to national ridicule. Yes, of course the chief could have avoided it if he had done his job honorably and with integrity. But still, being treated like a pinata is never fun, no matter how much it is deserved.

The possible good news is that some other towns will learn from Canton's rightful sufferings... and this kind of nonsense will be minimized. One can always hope.
    I hope they have had nightmares, regularly, on the hour with visions of Hitler and sodomy. It's not an "isolated incident" as evidenced by the information provided, it's endemic:

Canton’s internal affairs unit has investigated 16 complaints involving Harless dating back to 2000.

I've no sympathy or compassion for those who either perpetrate, condone or allow this type of behavior.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    16 complaints sounds like a lot to me but I have no knowledge in this area. Perhaps our resident LEOs or attorney that deal in the criminal justice area can opine.

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    The victim's lawyer released it, according to OHCC.

A defense attorney is an officer of the court, the same as the prosecuting attorney and judge. One of the nice parts of our legal system is that the prosecution must share with the defense any evidence or exculpatory material.

Ah, got it. Thanks.

I was more concerned with this... Canton’s internal affairs unit has investigated 16 complaints involving Harless dating back to 2000.

Makes you wonder how many of these types of incidents might have happened without being pursued.

Always record all interactions. (That is, as long as you're not in a state where recording a cop might turn a misdemeanor into a felony.)

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    Admittedly, I try to avoid the criminal justice system as much as possible. But it would appear to me that Officer 1 may have violated a number of laws.

Wouldn't the video be probable cause for arrest?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Wouldn't the video be probable cause for arrest?

Cops don't have to follow the same rules we do, especially when they're acting under color of law. He was put on paid vacation while the incident was being investigated. When it blew up in CPD's face, "administrative leave" turned into "sick leave" so he could still get paid while the department could claim that he's not "on duty".

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Could sick leave also mean that he has checked into a mental health facility?

HIPAA regulations mean that we're unlikely to find out, unless it's presented at evidence during his trial; a trial that's never going to happen. The way Canton has been desperately trying to spin this, I'm far more inclined to think that it was a CYA move on their part.

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    Cops don't have to follow the same rules we do, especially when they're acting under color of law. He was put on paid vacation while the incident was being investigated. When it blew up in CPD's face, "administrative leave" turned into "sick leave" so he could still get paid while the department could claim that he's not "on duty".
    Yes, but my question was in regards to the law, not rules.

Top Bottom