• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Hey kidd, you were on just 30 minutes ago, but since I have said that I just want to go shooting with you, and you can teach me somethings you haven't responded, what's up keyboard broke, nope you have posted in other threads.

According to your bio

About the1kidd03 Biography Prior U.S. Marine, survivalist, defense/combat insructor, competitive shooter, private collector

It says you are a combat/defense instructor, I would like to take a class from you, I can pretty much anytime, you just name a place
    It also says you are a competition shooter, which if that is the case then what competition, when and where I will go, hell I will drive!
    Just let me know, I am ready to
    -just go shooting
    -take a combat/defense course from you
    -go to the competition of your choice

Call me 317-828-5338, email jakemartens@comcast.net,
    Come by the house
    7529 blue willow drive
    Meet me at work, SEARS at Washington square mall
    Come out to watch a match, I will be at Atlanta conservation club this Saturday and sunday

Same goes for you Jeremy, still haven't seen anything about those jobs that you could line up, please don't forget.

No, keyboard's not broke...just sick of this post since everyone likes to take everyone elses words out of context and not stay on the OP's topic.....everyone here can not believe me, badmouth me, do as they wish...I'm really tired of repeating myself, especially since everyone here has at some point posted the exact same point of view that I have several times but for some reason don't see that I've said the same thing they have.....and they choose to take my words as "I'm better" or "Combat vets are better"...or whatever other sort of BS they choose to hear when I have never even implied such an opinion.....As everyone else has done at some point here (including yourself), I've merely pointed out that the skills are valuable and interchangeable, but there are many other variable which are not...but again, for some reason everyone else can point out this exact same fact, but when the Vets say it everyone else seems to want to take it as a personal attack on competition guys.....and so I'm simply tired of repeating myself and this will probably be my last post on this thread (of course further personal attacks will undoubtedly ensue, but whatever)

as far as your desire to take a class....I'm not a civilian instructor and do not attempt to make a living at it.....I stated that I don't have enough time to take part in competitions, hardly enough even to shoot at all...what LITTLE "free" time I have had I've spent working out, running through drills with friends/my wife...but this is a rare thing too lately.....I work through weekends so that I can further my degree during the week

In any case, if you're sincere about taking on another position(which I highly doubt, no offense)...you may contact a S.Sgt Stephen Andrews at 272-5035( I believe if I still have the right #) out of the Avon recruiting office, he could also put you in touch with a recruiting station closer to your location if necessary.....keep in mind if you're over 28yo, have any medical conditions/injuries, excessive/un-hideable tattoos, a history of drug use, or ANY criminal activities you will likely NOT be allowed to take on a position with the Corps and you will have to speak with an Army recruiter as they are much more "laxed" on entry requirements........if you prefer to stay civilian than there are number of companies to look at, but chances are without extensive CZ experience they will not likely even talk to you...as I have known several basic grunts who were not accepted...although, if accepted the positions can be very lucrative between $60k-$200k per year depending on your individual contract agreement/ skill level/experience.....a few links to these organizations:

http://careers.triplecanopy.com/careers/Careers.aspx?adata=zZVGElJdaa%2fiCXkE4VUqSKVRSICkXwxT2bUdxD87bq1%2fnrsmcmjNVDsZudwe7ZTwkRqUqvOtnhhsamKiG2phRNCHWyulprYZfWexeEGCB1Cjcy4X%2bPqdP1VwPbPNXALFNCH%2bKVtPpCAqesIRs3d4%2b78eH5baCGimOMot8JXBEI4%3d

http://www.dyncorprecruiting.com/ext/cojobs.asp?From=1&Keyword=&Category=197&Location=

Assuming you MIGHT be sincere about your request(s) ...how old are you Jake? What professional experience/training/education do you have under your belt?

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    This may be off topic but the easy way to train at home is with an unloaded weapon and a treadmill.Any gun any speed . Try to keep the front sight on target with dry trigger presses.

Lol....that's a good idea....although I think it would be rather funny to watch someone do it..lol

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    No, keyboard's not broke...just sick of this post since everyone likes to take everyone elses words out of context and not stay on the OP's topic.....everyone here can not believe me, badmouth me, do as they wish...I'm really tired of repeating myself, especially since everyone here has at some point posted the exact same point of view that I have several times but for some reason don't see that I've said the same thing they have.....and they choose to take my words as "I'm better" or "Combat vets are better"...or whatever other sort of BS they choose to hear when I have never even implied such an opinion.....As everyone else has done at some point here (including yourself), I've merely pointed out that the skills are valuable and interchangeable, but there are many other variable which are not...but again, for some reason everyone else can point out this exact same fact, but when the Vets say it everyone else seems to want to take it as a personal attack on competition guys.....and so I'm simply tired of repeating myself and this will probably be my last post on this thread (of course further personal attacks will undoubtedly ensue, but whatever)

as far as your desire to take a class....I'm not a civilian instructor and do not attempt to make a living at it.....I stated that I don't have enough time to take part in competitions, hardly enough even to shoot at all...what LITTLE "free" time I have had I've spent working out, running through drills with friends/my wife...but this is a rare thing too lately.....I work through weekends so that I can further my degree during the week

In any case, if you're sincere about taking on another position(which I highly doubt, no offense)...you may contact a S.Sgt Stephen Andrews at 272-5035( I believe if I still have the right #) out of the Avon recruiting office, he could also put you in touch with a recruiting station closer to your location if necessary.....keep in mind if you're over 28yo, have any medical conditions/injuries, excessive/un-hideable tattoos, a history of drug use, or ANY criminal activities you will likely NOT be allowed to take on a position with the Corps and you will have to speak with an Army recruiter as they are much more "laxed" on entry requirements........if you prefer to stay civilian than there are number of companies to look at, but chances are without extensive CZ experience they will not likely even talk to you...as I have known several basic grunts who were not accepted...although, if accepted the positions can be very lucrative between $60k-$200k per year depending on your individual contract agreement/ skill level/experience.....a few links to these organizations:

http://careers.triplecanopy.com/careers/Careers.aspx?adata=zZVGElJdaa%2fiCXkE4VUqSKVRSICkXwxT2bUdxD87bq1%2fnrsmcmjNVDsZudwe7ZTwkRqUqvOtnhhsamKiG2phRNCHWyulprYZfWexeEGCB1Cjcy4X%2bPqdP1VwPbPNXALFNCH%2bKVtPpCAqesIRs3d4%2b78eH5baCGimOMot8JXBEI4%3d

http://www.dyncorprecruiting.com/ext/cojobs.asp?From=1&Keyword=&Category=197&Location=

Assuming you MIGHT be sincere about your request(s) ...how old are you Jake? What professional experience/training/education do you have under your belt?

My time has passed for being able to join up, I will be 39 in December. I have no professional experience, I have never taken any training or have any education in shooting, combat, or combat tactics.

Trust me I understand having little free time, I do not belong to any range, and spend very little time doing any practice.

All I want to do is meet up and do some informal shooting, nothing else.
    Hell it can be .22's, I will bring the ammo and I have an old S&W .22 that is almost as old as me. I will pay the range fee's even.

I was hoping that you would be able to find a half hour, 45 minutes to put some rounds down range.

I am not calling anyone out, not putting forth any challenge, just to go plinking for fun.

CombatRex

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 20, 2010
    NE side of Indy
    Sorry, about the post, things got hung up and froze and all that appeared were the shrugging happy faces. Anyway as I was saying, the only thing I have against moving and shooting is, I CANT FIND A RANGE THAT WILL LET ME DO IT!!! So if anybody knows of a range, or has private land in the Indianapolis area, please by all means send me a message. I would be eternally greatfull.

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Sorry I just assumed from your Bio on here
    About the1kidd03 Biography Prior U.S. Marine, survivalist, defense/combat insructor, competitive shooter, private collector

that where you list defense/combat instrutor, competitive shooter that that was currently.

My Bio
    38 years old
    Signed up for the service when I was 19, passed and accepted, but I ended up putting a telephone pole thru the front of a 1982 Camaro, drove it down the street to a friends house to call the police, by the time I got back I was ticketed for leave the scene, so until that was cleared up they wouldn't take me. By that time I had moved and tried to go to school.
    I ended up going into retail and have been there ever since. I did sign up, test and was accepted into the Homeland Defense/Border Patrol, but by the time that everything came back we had our 3rd child on the way and what they were offering pay wise would have been a $20k cut in pay and with a 3rd child on the way it didn't make sense.
    I grew up shooting with my father and my uncle. I did not shoot in competitions until 2000, IDPA,I shot IDPA matches up until 2005, and then started shooting USPSA matches. I have reached the level of Master Class in USPSA.
    Along they way I have competed in some 3 gun matches, nothing major and several major USPSA matches.

I am not calling anyone out, not trying to put anyone in a competition match, just want to go shooting.

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Sorry, about the post, things got hung up and froze and all that appeared were the shrugging happy faces. Anyway as I was saying, the only thing I have against moving and shooting is, I CANT FIND A RANGE THAT WILL LET ME DO IT!!! So if anybody knows of a range, or has private land in the Indianapolis area, please by all means send me a message. I would be eternally greatfull.

Atlanta Conservation Club www.atlantacc.net
    Wildcat Valley Rifle & Pistol Club www.wvrpc.org
    Riley Conservation Club www.rileycc.com

And . . . South Central Gun Club, probably Martinsville, etc.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere

Agreed....there are not enough places within the Indy vacinity which allow for shooting of various techniques and weapons........I was doing som research into opening a better indoor range, but it's too time consuming for me right now....

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Sorry I just assumed from your Bio on here

that where you list defense/combat instrutor, competitive shooter that that was currently.

My Bio
    38 years old
    Signed up for the service when I was 19, passed and accepted, but I ended up putting a telephone pole thru the front of a 1982 Camaro, drove it down the street to a friends house to call the police, by the time I got back I was ticketed for leave the scene, so until that was cleared up they wouldn't take me. By that time I had moved and tried to go to school.
    I ended up going into retail and have been there ever since. I did sign up, test and was accepted into the Homeland Defense/Border Patrol, but by the time that everything came back we had our 3rd child on the way and what they were offering pay wise would have been a $20k cut in pay and with a 3rd child on the way it didn't make sense.
    I grew up shooting with my father and my uncle. I did not shoot in competitions until 2000, IDPA,I shot IDPA matches up until 2005, and then started shooting USPSA matches. I have reached the level of Master Class in USPSA.
    Along they way I have competed in some 3 gun matches, nothing major and several major USPSA matches.

I am not calling anyone out, not trying to put anyone in a competition match, just want to go shooting.

Yeah, most government work doesn't pay :poop:....the best pay in law enforcement is in the Federal sector which require degrees too...the private sector still pays even better yet........anyhow, there are different weapons classes in your shooting organization right?? What class(es) did you achieve Master in?.....I've looked into the two groups, but it'll be another year or two before I can really "get my feet wet" in the competition world....it seems fun though

When my friend and I actually have the time to train, we come up with various different "challenges" to make otherwise simple tasks harder....such as a 100 or 200 yard sprint before taking medium-long ranges shots.....or loading unknown number of rounds in each others mags then advancing on targets to practice reloads/transitions at an unknown times.......granted, the majority of training we come up with/do are not allowed at most local ranges and many civilian shooters would consider it "unsafe"...but, we go to private property so we don't "scare" someone..lol

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Agreed....there are not enough places within the Indy vacinity which allow for shooting of various techniques and weapons........I was doing som research into opening a better indoor range, but it's too time consuming for me right now....

Agreed....there are not enough places within the Indy vacinity which allow for shooting of various techniques and weapons........I was doing som research into opening a better indoor range, but it's too time consuming for me right now....in the meantime I just go to family's property *************

Before you edited you said you go to family property, I would love to go and just shoot, I don't belong to a range and the indoor ranges are not very good.
    I am on vacation all next week, completely open schedule

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Yeah, most government work doesn't pay :poop:....the best pay in law enforcement is in the Federal sector which require degrees too...the private sector still pays even better yet........anyhow, there are different weapons classes in your shooting organization right?? What class(es) did you achieve Master in?.....I've looked into the two groups, but it'll be another year or two before I can really "get my feet wet" in the competition world....it seems fun though

When my friend and I actually have the time to train, we come up with various different "challenges" to make otherwise simple tasks harder....such as a 100 or 200 yard sprint before taking medium-long ranges shots.....or loading unknown number of rounds in each others mags while advancing on targets to practice reloads/transitions at an unknown times.......granted, the majority of training we come up with/do are not allowed at most local ranges and many civilian shooters would consider it "unsafe"...but, we go to private property so we don't "scare" someone..lol

Sounds fun, let's go, when?

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Can't next week, aside from typical school/work schedule...we'll be entertaining my wife's visiting family.....and trading off the "chaperone/tour guide" duties between each of our schedules

so tell me, what don't you like about available indoor ranges?? I'm always seeking input for that as it is still my plan to open a top notch facility in the area within a few years (when time allows and if I don't accept another position)

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Can't next week, aside from typical school/work schedule...we'll be entertaining my wife's visiting family.....and trading off the "chaperone/tour guide" duties between each of our schedules

so tell me, what don't you like about available indoor ranges?? I'm always seeking input for that as it is still my plan to open a top notch facility in the area within a few years (when time allows and if I don't accept another position)

Meet me up at POP guns, I will show you, hey while we are there we can shoot. My treat, even the ammo

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Meet me up at POP guns, I will show you, hey while we are there we can shoot. My treat, even the ammo

Don't get me started on Pop's....I went there once a few weeks back when my wife and I happen to have a couple of hours to kill until we had to be somewhere....went there in hopes of checking out inventory and taking advantage of the range.....the line was ridiculous, not worth the wait of about half a dozen people waiting to get in....and the entire time we "browsed" the inventory not ONE employee so much as said hello, let alone offered to show anything.....needless to say, I prolly won't be back and that was only the first time I've been there in...maybe 3-4 years....lol....on top of which their prices were higher than any of the west side shops and not worth the drive there IMO

lol, you're just dying for the opportunity to school me on some handgun techniques aren't ya :D

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    You going to take part in the multigun series next year?....how do they incorporate shotgun into those comps? I've not seen/watched anything about multi gun comps.....done plenty of rifle/pistol combo training and such....but most comps I've seen or looked into are all single gun comps with different categories

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Yes I am planning on getting the gear together to shoot some 3gun

no, I don't want to school anyone, I don't take any of this serious. I shoot because it is a release, it is fun. I got into competition because of the same reasons.

I am not offering anyting other than just to go shooting, I have no agenda, no bravado to prove.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    must ... avoid ... temptation ... to post ... in ... tactics forum ...
    sigh....

ok, first, you guys got me in trouble. I hadn't practiced this in a while, so last night I was doing some dryfire in the basement w/ both the AR and the .45. Doing a transition to WH w/ the AR while moving lateral I poked the muzzle into the corner of a little room-divider wall and took out a little chunk of drywall. Decided to fess up to the wife so the toddler didn't get blamed (he gets in trouble enough on his own). guess I get to mud/paint this weekend.

Anywho, some thoughts....

I agree w the technical points made to bend the knees and roll the feet. That's it. that's all you need to know to be smooth on the move. The goal is to reduce/absorb the added woble to the sights. If you are THINKING about anything else (eg crossovers, timing your feet and trigger, where your hips are pointing, etc), your brain is in the wrong place. Let the sight dictate your speed. You know how to walk/move; keep it subconscious. Practice until you can keep the wobble in an acceptable area. That's it. It's a bigger wobble zone than a perfect stance. If the wobble is too big to ensure a hit, adjust your movement as necessary. This comes back to letting your vision drive the shooting.

In matches, we move and shoot, often moving quite slowly to ensure hits/points on multiple targets, eg 8-round arrays; but if we can save a few feet between positions, that equates into tenths of seconds. I'd dare say if bullets were in bound, it's hardly "dynamic." (that's it, that's the end of my "tactical" talk)

If tight shots are not required, and your not shooting long strings of fire across multiple targets, it's possible to really haul butt and shoot. The key is to vary your pace and your strides as necessary. I recal a match last fall I had a single target I needed to engage while moving forward, and I did it at darn near a full sprint, no bent knees, etc. At about 5 yds from target I put two hands on the gun, took a long stride, hit it A/C, and continued running to the next position. I was shooting a production gun and I was SECONDS faster on that course than anyone else accross all divisions, incl the race guns. This may be a technique w/ more "real" application?

If tighter shots are required or it's a big array of targets, sometimes standing still is the better option because movement slows the splits down too much, so you're better off getting the hits and THEN haulling arse (from a match perspective, avoiding "real life" concerns).

-rvb

Last edited:
    Top Bottom