• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Is there a difference between the 870 you get at walmart and the 870 you get from a gun shop?

While at a gun shop in New Mexico I was told there was a difference and it made me :n00b:. I can't prove anything on the interwebs one way or the other.

What say you INGO?

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Walmart does special runs at times that you can't get anywhere else. Other than that, I've never heard of any difference.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Those are my thoughts.

I asked HOW it was worth more but no one could tell me.

It is "worth more" in the shops eyes because they don't buy in the bulk that Walmart does as a corporation. Same reason you can buy just about any grocery product at Walmart cheaper than Mom and Pops and even many smaller chain grocery stores.

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    Shotgun at Wal-Mart?

What I would like to know is what Wal-Marts carry shotguns in this area? I live in Indy and have never seen a real firearm at a Wal-Mart, at least not since I moved back here from South Carolina. :dunno:

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I owned a gunshop and I was a Sporting Goods Dept Manager for Wal-Mart and I could tell a Wal Mart gun from a non Mart mart gun very easily. Interior fit and finish on the Mart guns isn't close that of the others. Much looser fit, sharp edges (been cut on the Mart guns), and lot's of play so they function without being tightly fit.

mike4sigs

Master
    Rating - 94.4%
    34   2   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Southern Adams County
    I cant say on a Remington product but i have shown on HR single shot ! the barrel wall is thinner and the barrel was about .25 inches shorter and that was on a kmart gun versus gun shop gun 20+ years ago !!

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I've always been skeptical of this; Remington and every other gun manufacturer would have to have 2 separate lines for each gun they produced to sell to Wal-Mart and gun shops. No previous employee of any gun manufacturer has ever 'blown the whistle' on Remington or Marlin or Savage or Beretta or any of the ammo manufacturers about producing 'WalMart guns/ammo'. I'd call shenanigans on any of that.

hueycrew

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2010
    Cabot
    I have to agree with Dustydawg. I worked in manufacturing. Ceramic tile. Same body, glaze, stains. Different name and box. One line, two products. One goes to home improvement stores, the other to high end distributers. However, when we grade the tile (each piece) the standards for quality were slightly different. Some defects were ok on the home improvement store tiles. It was pretty easy to do in the tile business. I cannot see a gun manufacturer trying to grade each final product. Hmm factory second Remington Shotgun. I don't think anyone would buy it.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Intresting.

Ultimately wouldn't Remington have to fix whatever problems they let out of their production facilities? They probibly sell more 870 shotguns at walmart, if it is inferior quality then they would have to fix more of them. Right? It would also further damage any reputation right?

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    What I would like to know is what Wal-Marts carry shotguns in this area? I live in Indy and have never seen a real firearm at a Wal-Mart, at least not since I moved back here from South Carolina. :dunno:

down in Franklin, saw muzzleloaders down there last season too.

plowman766

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 18, 2010
    Huntington
    I was told once that the guns with nicer woodgrains went to the gun shops instead of the big box stores but im not sure how reliable the source was I know Marlin used to put the walnut stocks on some guns and the birch stocks on their cheaper Glenfield models for department stores

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    Interesting.

It would also be interesting, at least to me, to know at what management level within Wal-Mart the decision is made as to which stores carry firearms and which do not and what those reasons might be. Just curious.Anyone on here with management experience at Wal-Mart? :dunno:

gregtheplumber

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 28, 2010
    valparaiso
    i have a 870 that i got from kmart not walmart and have absolutely no problems with it has functioned great had it for bout 10 years. so the gunshop saying that walmart guns are different is bull....had a gunshop guy tell me i should never buy ammo from walmart...oh yeah cuz remington or winchester makes another level of ammo that is crap just so walmart can sell it cheaper in some cases half of what the gun shops charge.....i by no means am anti gunshop but there is absolutely no reason you shouldnt buy a shotgun or ammo from walmart

gregtheplumber

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 28, 2010
    valparaiso
    part of the price level difference is also the fact is where the gunshops buy 5 or 6 870s walmart corp may buy 5 or 6 hundred or shop may buy 100 boxs of certain ammo walmart corp may buy 1000. thats where the savings come in. im not saying you wont get a dud gun from walmart but you can from a shop to. just a bigger chance to get one from walmart with a bigger lot of guns to get one out of.

Top Bottom