• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • doubleshock

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2010
    hamilton county
    i was in the local wm a few yrs. ago just looking around and was checking out the firearms display and lo and behold they had their 870 express magnums on sale. i had been considering the purchase of the same but at a later date. it was too good of a deal to pass up so i antied up and walked out or there with a new 870. as far as i can tell, it is no different than any other same make/model/features/benefits available anywhere else. it was much less expensive at that time than anywhere else i had checked and i did do quite a bit of research on the subject as it was my first firearm purchase ever. i have had zero probs. with this gun and have enjoyed shooting it in several different situations/applications. i am not a big wm fan but in this case all was good. -doubleshock

Jubba

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2010
    WAL-MART
    It would also be interesting, at least to me, to know at what management level within Wal-Mart the decision is made as to which stores carry firearms and which do not and what those reasons might be. Just curious.Anyone on here with management experience at Wal-Mart? :dunno:

I have been with Wal-mart for over 10yrs, Salaried Management for 6yrs. The decision to carry firearms is made by Home Office. They look at sales of related categories such as ammo, hunting supplies, and firearm accessories(very limited). Most stores have carried firearms at one point but were removed due to lack of sales in those stores, payroll costs of having someone scheduled in the department, and cost of 4473 training(giant workbooks required by Wal-mart) just to name a few things. Firearms are currently being brought back to several stores. Our Market is meeting in Muncie next week with the ATF. Hope this helps with your interest.

Edit: Oh and different firearms from the same manufacturer for Wal-mart vs. gun shop, not true.

Last edited:

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    Thank you!

I have been with Wal-mart for over 10yrs, Salaried Management for 6yrs. The decision to carry firearms is made by Home Office. They look at sales of related categories such as ammo, hunting supplies, and firearm accessories(very limited). Most stores have carried firearms at one point but were removed due to lack of sales in those stores, payroll costs of having someone scheduled in the department, and cost of 4473 training(giant workbooks required by Wal-mart) just to name a few things. Firearms are currently being brought back to several stores. Our Market is meeting in Muncie next week with the ATF. Hope this helps with your interest.

Edit: Oh and different firearms from the same manufacturer for Wal-mart vs. gun shop, not true.

Thank you very much for your reply and yes it does answer my questions. :)

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    What I would like to know is what Wal-Marts carry shotguns in this area? I live in Indy and have never seen a real firearm at a Wal-Mart, at least not since I moved back here from South Carolina. :dunno:

The Walmart here has plenty and has a pretty decent catalog of special order stuff. Some really nice guns in the special order catalog too. I've been thinking about putting some money down on a rifle that would cost me at least $100 more if I bought it at a shop.

amboran

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2008
    Brownstown,IN
    What I would like to know is what Wal-Marts carry shotguns in this area? I live in Indy and have never seen a real firearm at a Wal-Mart, at least not since I moved back here from South Carolina. :dunno:
    Terre Haute,Columbus (store on hiway 31-not the new one out by I-65),Seymour,Clarksville Walmarts all have long guns. I also have heard that Walmart will be re-introducing long guns into other stores in the near future. No doubt losing a lot of sales to gun shops during the re-awakening of the gun buying public since 2008 has gotten their attention. ;)

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Terre Haute,Columbus (store on hiway 31-not the new one out by I-65),Seymour,Clarksville Walmarts all have long guns. I also have heard that Walmart will be re-introducing long guns into other stores in the near future. No doubt losing a lot of sales to gun shops during the re-awakening of the gun buying public since 2008 has gotten their attention. ;)

I always thought that WalMart missed out on a bonanza by taking gun sales out of so many stores right before the big rush of gun buying in the last couple of years. Penny wise, Dollar foolish.

I wanted to get an 870 to mod into a HD weapon and ended up buying used from an individual because I didn't want to pay top dollar in a gun shop for a gun I was going to invest more money into modding.

Oh well Wally World sure missed the boat on this one. I'm sure gun shop owners were grateful for WalMart's decision to pull guns out of the stores. :D

plowman766

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 18, 2010
    Huntington
    Theres been a rumor going around that the Huntington Walmart was going to start handling guns again I think they sell a lot of ammo so maybe thats a deciding factor.

thoffman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Muncie

:eek: they arent taking them away are they? i live in muncie..actually bought my mossberg 500 combo from there for my christmas present last month. it is the exact same as the ones in a local shop around here..not one difference. except the price was $100 cheaper :D.
    they need to get guns back in the anderson walmart. that would make some of my friends happy. walmart keeps dunhams and mc sports in check on there prices in muncie thankfully.

Jubba

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2010
    WAL-MART
    :eek: they arent taking them away are they? i live in muncie..actually bought my mossberg 500 combo from there for my christmas present last month. it is the exact same as the ones in a local shop around here..not one difference. except the price was $100 cheaper :D.
    they need to get guns back in the anderson walmart. that would make some of my friends happy. walmart keeps dunhams and mc sports in check on there prices in muncie thankfully.

No, they are not taking them away. The store managers and sporting goods department managers from the stores in our market that are getting guns back are meeting at Muncie south with the ATF. Unfortunately not all stores are getting them back and I don't know what stores are getting them back. I know we are in Winchester. Muncie North has always had great sales. I as there from 2005 to Feb 2010.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    8 years ago my wife & I got Remington 870s with in a few months of each other, Mine from a gun shop, hers from walmart.
    Mine has a metal trigger housing, hers is plastic.. they are the same model..

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    i know it isnt an 870 but out in montana where i lived there werent any guns stores at the time and i bought my winchester 30.06 at walmart cause it was local. my walmart rifle has killed lots of deer with never a problem

jake

windellmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    I have a Walmart 870 Express I bought last year. It really seems to be a good gun. It seems just like the ones on the rack at Gander Mountain.

FYI the Franklin Walmart has Muzzleloaders but no other long guns.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    WalMarts in Evansville carry rifles, shotguns and muzzleloaders. I think the ones in Carmi, Illinois carry them, too. I did hear a rumor from a WalMart employee that they want to eventually stop carrying all firearms and just sell ammo. Said it had more to do with the amount of paperwork involved in selling them than anything. I'm neither here nor there on believing it; I'm trying as hard as I can to spend less money there if possible.

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    I looked at Walmart website pictures, a little difference, but I just can't pinpoint it.
    picture.php

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    You can't compare Walmart 870's or 10/22's to gun shop 870's or 10/22's! That's like comparing apples and oranges. I mean, I got my Remington 870 Super Mag at Wal-mart between 10 and 15 years ago. It was around $250. At the gun store, it was around $400. How can you compare those two, they are completely different guns! Bought a 10/22 at wal-mart a year or so ago. It was $212 for the synthetic all weather version. At the gun store, it was around $300. Completely different gun, it was about 30% cheaper, see!

Top Bottom