• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I will continue to patronize my local gun shop. I do not want to be at the mercy of Wal-Mart in a few years after they have ran everyone out of business. I enjoy the comraderie and personal touch, and just plain hanging out at the local stores anyway, and to me this is worth a few extra dollars. My two cents.

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    My walmart carries Muzzleloaders, pump and semi-auto shotguns in any caliber you want. They have rifles from varies companies from .22 up to 300 win. mag. And a lot cheaper than anywhere else. My favorite gun i have came from there, a marlin 925M .22. That thing is one d*mn accurate .22!

BearArms Jim

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Wal-mart=evil.

I agree 100% but i sometimes still end up there for certain things.

For all products, Wal mart has been buying such an enormous quantity for such a long time that manufacturers have expanded their production to accommodate the demand. With this in mind, walmart can somewhat tell the manufacturers and distributors the price they they are going to pay for things and the manufacturers have to either give the price drop or loose walmarts business and possibly go out of business.

So I think it is possible that the manufactures have to find ways to cut corners to make up the money loss. Thus producing lesser quality products. If this is the case I'm sure they make certain walmart gets those products.

Just some thoughts on facts

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    I will continue to patronize my local gun shop. I do not want to be at the mercy of Wal-Mart in a few years after they have ran everyone out of business. I enjoy the comraderie and personal touch, and just plain hanging out at the local stores anyway, and to me this is worth a few extra dollars. My two cents.
    If your local shop was Bylthe's you would change your mind. I was in there to buy some targets and use the indoor range and I heard one of the counter clowns telling some 90 year old guy who wanted to buy a shotfun for his grandson for Christmas that "The Mossberg from Walmart isn't even close to the same quality that is why they sell the combo with 2 barrels cheaper then we sell just the gun, it is junk do you want to kill your grandson when it blows up?"

I approached the old man and told him the ones from walmart are the same exact gun and he looked at me and almost started crying he told me he had been saving all year to get this or his grandson. I left my stuff on the counter and walked out with the old man.

Walmart might be evil but they helped an old man and his grandson have a great Christmas and who knows how many the old guy had left.

ShooterLee

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    I am not a supporter of Wal-Mart, but I am a proponent of saving money. I picked up a 10/22 last week for $210 OTD. I could not find one in a gun shop or Outdoor Retail store for cheaper than $240 before tax. The gun feels just the same as any other 10/22 from any other store. Shoots just the same as any other 10/22 I have shot.
    Wal-mart may be evil, but with more cash in my pocket, the more money I can spend on cool stuff.

GhostofWinter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Lake Station-NW Indiana
    If your local shop was Bylthe's you would change your mind. I was in there to buy some targets and use the indoor range and I heard one of the counter clowns telling some 90 year old guy who wanted to buy a shotfun for his grandson for Christmas that "The Mossberg from Walmart isn't even close to the same quality that is why they sell the combo with 2 barrels cheaper then we sell just the gun, it is junk do you want to kill your grandson when it blows up?"

I approached the old man and told him the ones from walmart are the same exact gun and he looked at me and almost started crying he told me he had been saving all year to get this or his grandson. I left my stuff on the counter and walked out with the old man.

Walmart might be evil but they helped an old man and his grandson have a great Christmas and who knows how many the old guy had left.

I would love to set several 870's or 10/22's next to each other and see if those that claim that there is a considerable difference could tell which were bought at a 'gun store' and which were bought at wally-world. I suspect they won't be able to tell the difference, or end up making wrong guesses.

Hmm. might be something to do at one of the NWI Ingo Meet and shoots.....

xHwyLT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Monroe
    Is there a difference between the 870 you get at walmart and the 870 you get from a gun shop?

While at a gun shop in New Mexico I was told there was a difference and it made me :n00b:. I can't prove anything on the interwebs one way or the other.

What say you INGO?

The easy answer is no. The hard answer is, which 870 version are you referring to? Walmart & Kmart both sell the 870 with the parkerized finish, and cheaper quality wood stock. It's the Express model, if you buy the same version in your local gun shop, it is the same gun. Most gun shops carry other versions of the 870, like the Wingmaster, with great wood & blued metal, then there are the synthetic stock versions, camo stock versions, you get the idea, right? If you compare these with the "mart" type shoguns, then it would be different quality guns. My advice to you is, if you can get the exact same gun at a price that is close to the "marts" price, buy from the local guy. You'll be happier in the long run.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    The easy answer is no. The hard answer is, which 870 version are you referring to? Walmart & Kmart both sell the 870 with the parkerized finish, and cheaper quality wood stock. It's the Express model, if you buy the same version in your local gun shop, it is the same gun. Most gun shops carry other versions of the 870, like the Wingmaster, with great wood & blued metal, then there are the synthetic stock versions, camo stock versions, you get the idea, right? If you compare these with the "mart" type shoguns, then it would be different quality guns. My advice to you is, if you can get the exact same gun at a price that is close to the "marts" price, buy from the local guy. You'll be happier in the long run.

The problem is you CAN NOT get the exact same gun from a local retailer. Not unless you want to pay an extra $100.

The fact is that walmart sells a cheaper MODEL not a cheaper GUN. Gun shops sell the same MODEL. For much more.

By no means am I saying that anyone shouldn't support their local gun shop. I AM saying that the lgs are liars when they say they are selling higher "quality" 870s. Especially when it's an express. Just like at walmart. Ultimately Remington has to anwer for poor quality. Not walmart or the lgs.

This thread was brought up because these exact conversations were had at a lgs. :n00b:

Top Bottom