• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    After reading and hearing conflicting stories on Walmarts gun policy I decided to email them and ask for corporate policy, this is the email I received from them

There is no policy against customers carrying their handgun in our stores as long as he/she is legally licensed by their state to carry the handgun. As a private property owner, Walmart has the authority to ask customers to remove their handgun or leave the store on a case-by-case basis if customers or Walmart associates express concerns about the handgun.

If you have any questions in regards to this please feel free to contact management at your local Walmart store.

Sincerely,
    Walmart Customer Care

rhart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Avon
    Thanks for checking and for sharing that. Sounds like a case by case basis. Exactly the way I would handle it if I owned the store. If you look like a thug or a freak, I would ask you to disarm or leave, no different than if you were in my home and I didnt know you. Think about it from the store managers position, its a lot of responsibility to to have for the safety of your employees and customers.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    Ranger I had the same feeling, one of my former drinking buddies works in security at Walmart and he told me the policy was to abide by the laws of the state, but I also found stories online that said no guns period in Walmart so that's the reason for my email to them. I posted for info. purpose.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    Thanks for checking and for sharing that. Sounds like a case by case basis. Exactly the way I would handle it if I owned the store. If you look like a thug or a freak, I would ask you to disarm or leave, no different than if you were in my home and I didnt know you. Think about it from the store managers position, its a lot of responsibility to to have for the safety of your employees and customers.

home is a lot different than a public store, because stores must obey civil rights laws, you as a home owner dont.
    if you start judging customers by the way they look i think you would get sued real quick and rightly so. you cant judge a book by its cover. theres a difference in "looking like a thug or freak" and being a criminal with malous intentions. our society is so concerned with what their idea of "looking perfect" is that it makes me sick. maybe i dont think soccer moms driving mini vans look "normal" maybe they scare me (especialy the way they drive), maybe your "average" housewife that looks "normal" but runs over me with her grocery cart the day after thanksgiving just to get to something first, scares me? dont we think its wrong when kids bully other kids at school because they "look different" ? then why do we do it even to a greater extent as adults? wearing a gun is a "normal" everyday thing. people who look different are a good thing, and until we as citizens realize that then we will never truely have an open society. dont fear and judge people by their appearance, judge them by their actions.

to the OP, thanks for putting in the effort to mail them and then post their response. at least we know now that they are wishy washy about it.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    home is a lot different than a public store, because stores must obey civil rights laws, you as a home owner dont.
    if you start judging customers by the way they look i think you would get sued real quick and rightly so. you cant judge a book by its cover. theres a difference in "looking like a thug or freak" and being a criminal with malous intentions. our society is so concerned with what their idea of "looking perfect" is that it makes me sick. maybe i dont think soccer moms driving mini vans look "normal" maybe they scare me (especialy the way they drive), maybe your "average" housewife that looks "normal" but runs over me with her grocery cart the day after thanksgiving just to get to something first, scares me? dont we think its wrong when kids bully other kids at school because they "look different" ? then why do we do it even to a greater extent as adults? wearing a gun is a "normal" everyday thing. people who look different are a good thing, and until we as citizens realize that then we will never truely have an open society. dont fear and judge people by their appearance, judge them by their actions.

to the OP, thanks for putting in the effort to mail them and then post their response. at least we know now that they are wishy washy about it.

:+1:Ranger

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Exactly the way I would handle it if I owned the store. If you look like a thug or a freak, I would ask you to disarm or leave, no different than if you were in my home and I didnt know you. Think about it from the store managers position, its a lot of responsibility to to have for the safety of your employees and customers.

To manage a store that is open to the public as opposed to your private home is not a good comparison. You can look like President Bush and ring my bell and wouldn't get in "[if] I didn't know you."

A store that is advertising to the public and asking people to come and shop doesn't say, "We only want your money if you look like...." They want everybody's money. Now, what if the person looks like Grzzly Adams (TV Show), Tupac Shakur (dead rapper), or Robert Mathis (Colts)? Which one would be welcome in the store? Of the three I mentioned, which one(s) look like a freak? These are rhetorical questions, but goes to the issue. A person's rights are not conditional, according to their appearance.

Without questionable behavior, a persons appearance should mean nothing.:twocents:

Last edited:

ShooterLee

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    well if you start judging customers by the way they look i think you would get sued real quick and rightly so.

maybe i dont think soccer moms driving mini vans look "normal" maybe they scare me (especialy the way they drive),

First off, if they say they can ask someone to leave on a case by case basis, if thats store policy, and they have it posted, it would be difficult to sue (not impossible, but difficult). Wal-Mart holds this as policy and posts it. If they feel "threatened", it is there right to ask you to leave. Like or not, that's their right. Fortunately, or not, its kind of a loop hole in our society.

Secondly, I think that comment about soccer moms is outstanding. Bravo.

Finally, if I'm asked to disarm, or leave a store, because it makes others feel uncomfortable, I'll do so; not willingly, but in order to avoid conflict. Even unarmed, I feel like at wal-mart, I could find something useful (boat oar, hammer, can of soup, etc) to take out some punk if need be.:D

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    First off, if they say they can ask someone to leave on a case by case basis, if thats store policy, and they have it posted, it would be difficult to sue (not impossible, but difficult). Wal-Mart holds this as policy and posts it. If they feel "threatened", it is there right to ask you to leave. Like or not, that's their right. Fortunately, or not, its kind of a loop hole in our society.

yep, i see what your saying. but also some people feel threatened by hip hop style clothing, or punk rock clothing, etc... (if its the gun thats they are scared of, then maybe i should just kill them with my bic pen? so they arent affraid of guns?:laugh:) so what im saying is where so we draw the line at whats REALY threatening and whats just someones attempt to force their personal beliefs or prejudices down our throats and use a grocery chain to empower their beliefs because of a lack of an "official FIRM company policy" ?? to me a holstered weapon doesnt scare me. a weapon in a waste band or in someones hands worries me and forces me to take appropriate actions accordingly. just sayin

***Removed comment that was inappropriate***

Finally, if I'm asked to disarm, or leave a store, because it makes others feel uncomfortable, I'll do so; not willingly, but in order to avoid conflict. Even unarmed, I feel like at wal-mart, I could find something useful (boat oar, hammer, can of soup, etc) to take out some punk if need be.:D

yep exactly. i would leave too because i dont wanna go to jail for tresspassing. also why does walmart sell bullets if they worry about guns? or flare launchers? that would realy ruin your day if i shot your a** with a flare, lol.

oh id also like to add,,,,, who is gonna protect me from some of the charles manson looking and acting walmart employees i am forced to look at and interact with everytime i shop there?? :D just saying.

Last edited by a moderator:

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    I have decided that If I'm asked to put me gun in the car that I will. When I return to the building I will point out the oldest frailest person I can find in the store and inform the manager that they concern me and can Walmart please ask them to leave to make me more comfortable.

SigSense

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    I have decided that If I'm asked to put me gun in the car that I will. When I return to the building I will point out the oldest frailest person I can find in the store and inform the manager that they concern me and can Walmart please ask them to leave to make me more comfortable.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    That's a good one!

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    If Target, Best Buy, Starbucks and even barnes and noble can have a blanket corporate policies on the carry of firearms to protect their customers from the stupidity of a local manager, why can't walmart?

Screw walmart, I'll go to Target.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    If Target, Best Buy, Starbucks and even barnes and noble can have a blanket corporate policies on the carry of firearms to protect their customers from the stupidity of a local manager, why can't walmart?

Target doesn't have ammo!

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008

:laugh: Sorry, I just find it funny because I HATE Walmart, Target has higher prices, I can OC in Walmart here, but the Target asked that I cover it or leave. :dunno:

ThePope

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Fort Wayne,In
    I think the O.P.'s post does have a purpose, and it was a good job contacting Wall-mart about their policies....it usually does come down to a "store-to-store" judgment on the part(s) of the managers involved.

On a side , as noted, looks should NOT matter in these matters, and other, many other matters of business and/or commerce and/or employment and/or treatment of customers and/or the way cops treat people when pulled over and/or people that GET pulled over.....it SHOULDN'T matter, ....

BUT IT DOES , in the real world .

I don't like it when someone assumes I smoke dope because of the way I look, but they do at times....who among us doesn't make that sort of assumption at times ? ?

I have and have been wrong, I've been correct at times, too....our out-ward appearance does have an effect on those around us, can't be helped. It's a fact of life, most of us get over it and continue on.

Aye M. Out ....:cool:

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    After reading and hearing conflicting stories on Walmarts gun policy I decided to email them and ask for corporate policy, this is the email I received from them

There is no policy against customers carrying their handgun in our stores as long as he/she is legally licensed by their state to carry the handgun. As a private property owner, Walmart has the authority to ask customers to remove their handgun or leave the store on a case-by-case basis if customers or Walmart associates express concerns about the handgun.

If you have any questions in regards to this please feel free to contact management at your local Walmart store.

Sincerely,
    Walmart Customer Care

You wonder boys keep hounding them about it and you'll see the dreaded signs out front sooner or later. I'm sick of reading about it, I can't imagine how fed up they are with responding to every lawyer wanna be in every little podunk in the country whining about it and on the other hand they surely have the whiners on the other side wanting them prohibited.

If I were "Mr. Walmart" I'd have just posted it off limits a long time ago and told every one to shut up or get out a long time ago and been done with it.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    To Jack

Jack if you are sick of reading about it then don't look at a thread about walmart!

Last edited:

ocsdor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Lafayette, IN

Sincerely,
    Walmart Customer Care

What I think would really help us is to get this "snail-mailed" on official Walmart Letterhead, scan it, and put on the internet for everyone to print off and carry with them.

Top Bottom