• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    According to the FOP Calendar, the merit board is scheduled to meet again Oct 7th. So I'd assume we will hear something shortly after that meeting. But who knows. lol

Yeah I noticed that too, and my heart sunk a little. That's 2.5 weeks from now, which means it's probably going to be a last minute announcement again.

keiths34

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2013
    hopkinsville
    VUPDblue did mention it would probably be short notice. lol. Oct 7 is just shy of 3 weeks prior to academy start date. So if they can notifications sent out soon after, then everyone will have adequate time to give current employers notice.

keiths34

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2013
    hopkinsville
    And for the last class, the merit board met on may 19th to make selections, which if you look at the calendar, theres nothing for that day. So the FOP calendar may or may not be helpful.

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    Keith I was scrubbed too. No explanation given; just said that the merit board met and after reviewing my application and background information I was being removed from the process...

Guess it wasn't meant to be with me and IMPD. I would love to know why I was eliminated. AFAIK I passed all the steps of the process.

Good luck to you and anyone else on here that is in the process! I'll continue to try with the other departments I'm applying to.

keiths34

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2013
    hopkinsville
    Keith I was scrubbed too. No explanation given; just said that the merit board met and after reviewing my application and background information I was being removed from the process...

Guess it wasn't meant to be with me and IMPD. I would love to know why I was eliminated. AFAIK I passed all the steps of the process.

Good luck to you and anyone else on here that is in the process! I'll continue to try with the other departments I'm applying to.

DANG! I hate to hear that man! Keep your head up and keep the strong efforts going. Everyone says it takes a few-several attempts to get in. Good news is they will be hiring alot of men and women over the next few years. Hopefully you can get in on one of those processes.

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    DANG! I hate to hear that man! Keep your head up and keep the strong efforts going. Everyone says it takes a few-several attempts to get in. Good news is they will be hiring alot of men and women over the next few years. Hopefully you can get in on one of those processes.

Thanks for the encouragement. Unfortunately the email said since I was removed by the merit board I'm not eligible to re-apply for 2 years, which would put me over the age limit. I'm not mad at them for not picking me, I just wish they would give more specific information on why I was rejected so I at least know what to work on; as far as I can tell I passed everything..

I'm not bragging on myself, but honestly given all the recent negative attention they have got I think they would want to have candidates such as myself with more life/professional experience and proven track record, stable work history, background, etc.

Like I said, it wasn't meant to be. I hold no ill-feelings about it, and wish all the other folks still in the process good luck at the academy.

keiths34

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2013
    hopkinsville
    Thanks for the encouragement. Unfortunately the email said since I was removed by the merit board I'm not eligible to re-apply for 2 years, which would put me over the age limit. I'm not mad at them for not picking me, I just wish they would give more specific information on why I was rejected so I at least know what to work on; as far as I can tell I passed everything..

I'm not bragging on myself, but honestly given all the recent negative attention they have got I think they would want to have candidates such as myself with more life/professional experience and proven track record, stable work history, background, etc.

Like I said, it wasn't meant to be. I hold no ill-feelings about it, and wish all the other folks still in the process good luck at the academy.

Thats unfortunate. Not all departments have the same age limits I think. And could maybe always do a reserve position. So far, it sounds like everyone else also received an email with no explanation. I agree that candidates should know what / why they were eliminated. I've yet to hear anything at this point.

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    Thats unfortunate. Not all departments have the same age limits I think. And could maybe always do a reserve position. So far, it sounds like everyone else also received an email with no explanation. I agree that candidates should know what / why they were eliminated. I've yet to hear anything at this point.

Yeah I think the only notifications that have been sent out so far have been rejections so no news is good news at this point ;)

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Not all departments have the same age limits I think. .

unless im mistaken, city police departments are max hire age of 36, and i think thats due to "indiana state city pension funds", sheriff and state police will hire at any age, but isp has a mandatory retirement at 55.
    i talked to a guy about a year ago, who had just been hired to the henderson ky police department, and he was 39, and was on weekend leave from the ksp academy, idk why indiana has a max hire of 36, the local police chief has said he'd love to see the max age jumped to 40, cause a lot of millitary people get their 20 years in, retire with benefits, and cant even apply to city departments, and what about us late life job changers! i'm 46 and would love to get into law enforcement!. i call bs on the whole 36 yo thing!

westsider, good luck with your other options.

keiths34

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2013
    hopkinsville
    unless im mistaken, city police departments are max hire age of 36, and i think thats due to "indiana state city pension funds", sheriff and state police will hire at any age, but isp has a mandatory retirement at 55.
    i talked to a guy about a year ago, who had just been hired to the henderson ky police department, and he was 39, and was on weekend leave from the ksp academy, idk why indiana has a max hire of 36, the local police chief has said he'd love to see the max age jumped to 40, cause a lot of millitary people get their 20 years in, retire with benefits, and cant even apply to city departments, and what about us late life job changers! i'm 46 and would love to get into law enforcement!. i call bs on the whole 36 yo thing!

westsider, good luck with your other options.

I knew there were some LE positions that hired after age 36, just wasnt sure as to details. Thanks for clearing that up.

devil07

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    East Side Indy
    To Westsider: The age limit is mandated by PERF (the pension system, Public Employee Retirement Fund iirc). If you get hired by another department that has PERF, it negates the age limit on hiring at other PERF departments. At least, that is my understanding. Focus on other department now. Get hired somewhere, then inquire to IMPD HR if the age limit is waved since you're in PERF. They are doing laterals/accelerated recruits in this current class. So long as that group doesn't screw it up, I imagine there will be accelerated groups for other classes. Also, your retirement accrual at your first PD should transfer, to some degree, to IMPD.

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    To Westsider: The age limit is mandated by PERF (the pension system, Public Employee Retirement Fund iirc). If you get hired by another department that has PERF, it negates the age limit on hiring at other PERF departments. At least, that is my understanding. Focus on other department now. Get hired somewhere, then inquire to IMPD HR if the age limit is waved since you're in PERF. They are doing laterals/accelerated recruits in this current class. So long as that group doesn't screw it up, I imagine there will be accelerated groups for other classes. Also, your retirement accrual at your first PD should transfer, to some degree, to IMPD.

Thanks for the advice! Yes that is my understanding as well; once you are accepted into PERF you can lateral if you want. My age is the main reason I have applied to so many different departments, including ones that are further away from Indy.

If I end up getting hired by another department my plan will be to stay there for my full career unless there is some reason I can't. I like to commit to one thing and stick to it (which is why I have been with my current employer for 11 years). So God willing if a department picks me, I'm going to pick them too. My goal is to work in law enforcement; IMPD just happened to be the first department I applied to and was the one I felt I had the best chance of getting hired due to the number of people they are hiring. I also felt that IMPD is where help is needed the most.

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ljmiddleton3
    Top Bottom