• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Thank you sir....We hope to build our small retirement cabin sometime in the future there...It's beautiful...And snakey and ticky but also deery, turkey-y, fossilly and indian artifacty...Everything is a trade off...:)
    Careful with that retirement thing, I hear it's hard work.

So when's the party?

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Between the 'Ville and Evansville...It does kind of look like Devil's Backbone though doesn't it??
    Devil's Backbone? I grew up near there and was lost as heck last time I was out that way.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Looks cool! Is this close to your current place up there?

1.1 mile as the crow flies SW off of the front porch...1.5 by gravel road....I figure when we sell the place down here and are building the cabin there we will have a place to stay...Depending on how much liberty Eva's autism will provide her as she matures we are kind of figuring on giving her the little shack and us living in the new cabin...Of course this is years away but every journey starts with a plan...You know the lay of the land there and our little place (nice little self sufficient farm house but no land!!!!) and both are at the foot of hollers with about a 600 foot rise up to the top...

Basically if you look at Laura's boot toe it is over the ridge 1.1 miles away...

Last edited:

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    We walked it for the first time on Sunday...I took a few pics...I was amazed at the size of the rockhouses...Huge..A buddy asked if they were big enough to camp in and I said "They're big enough to raise a family in and if that one is too small the one next to it is even bigger..."

There is minerals seeping out of the rock under the rockhouses and the dirt has turned to powder with animal tracks (deer, bobcat, fox, coyote, 'coon etc...) one on top of another...A natural salt lick....There is a small ancient trail that follows the bluff and a 4 wheeler trail the Fort Wayner's we are buying it from cut for their 4 wheelers to get to the features...

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Nice Rick. How do you know that they're rock houses and not just places that have been eroded away? Are there signs that they were used as shelter at some point? There's a place we used to go to up near Attica that had some formations like that that could certainly have been used as shelter, but I don't know that they were. I just wondered if there was some distinguishing feature that differentiated them from other rock formations.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nice Rick. How do you know that they're rock houses and not just places that have been eroded away? Are there signs that they were used as shelter at some point? There's a place we used to go to up near Attica that had some formations like that that could certainly have been used as shelter, but I don't know that they were. I just wondered if there was some distinguishing feature that differentiated them from other rock formations.

The amount of Paleo artifacts found in the fields on either side of the plateau...Proximity to a creek that flows into the Ohio....Local lore, stories from farmers, etc...

The Indians did not create these rockhouses, erosion from the end of the last ice age and the flooding that came with it is what created them...

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Ah okay, gotcha. That's what I was wondering, whether it was purely erosion or if they showed any signs of having been even partially excavated at some point. Just looks awesome. :yesway:

Last edited:
    Top Bottom