• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    Beautiful place! If you ever need any help searching the plowed fields for artifacts, let me know. YOU would get to keep everything, I just enjoy the hunt.

Last edited:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Beautiful place! BUT, I would remove your posts about digging for artifacts, if I were you. Indiana has some of the strictest laws on the books about artifacts, and they DO enforce them. It is VERY ILLEGAL to dig for artifacts in Indiana, EVEN ON YOUR OWN PROPERTY. So, I wouldn't announce it to the world.

Good to know. I would revise your post and its quote though so he may.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Beautiful place!

Note to myself...Do not get legal advice from guys that come into the gun shop...Check and deleted...Thanks for the heads up...Anything older than 1816 is no go....I had no idea...In Kentucky you can...

[h=2]Re: Indiana laws[/h]
    And this from the Indiana Division of Historic Preservation and Archaeology

INDIANA ARCHAEOLOGY LAW
    QUESTION AND ANSWER SHEET
    Q: Are archaeological sites and human burial sites protected in Indiana?
    A: YES. The Indiana Historic Preservation Act (IC 14-21-1), as amended by Public Law 175 in
    1989, provides protection for archaeological sites and historic burial sites regardless of their
    location on state or private lands. All archaeological sites with artifacts dating before
    December 11, 1816, are protected under this act. Human burial sites are afforded protection
    under IC 14-21-1, IC 14-21-2, IC 23-14 (Indiana General Cemetery Act), and others.
    Q: What is an artifact?
    A: An “artifact” is defined in IC 14-21-1 as “an object made or shaped by human workmanship
    before December 11, 1816."
    Q: Is it illegal to surface collect artifacts?
    A: It is not illegal to collect artifacts from the surface of sites as long as the collector has the
    landowner’s permission to be on the property and collect artifacts.
    Q: If I surface collect artifacts, who do they belong to?A: Artifacts and materials belong to the property owner unless he or she assigns ownership of
    the materials to another party.
    Q: Is it legal to disturb the ground for the purpose of obtaining artifacts or human
    remains?
    A: IC 14-21-1, as amended by Public Law 175 in 1989, makes it clear that no person can disturb
    archaeological sites with artifacts dating before Dec. 11, 1816 or human remains dating on or
    before Dec. 31, 1939, without an approved permit from the Indiana Department of Natural
    Resources (IDNR).
    Q: If I see or know of looting of an archaeological site, whom should I contact?A: Any disturbance, vandalism, or looting of an archaeological site should be reported
    immediately to either local law enforcement officials (who will then contact Conservation
    Officers) or the Division of Historic Preservation and Archaeology.
    Q: What should I do if I discover human remains or know of disturbance to a human
    burial site?
    A: Any discovery of human remains or possible human remains should be left undisturbed and
    reported to the IDNR, Division of Law Enforcement, or the IDNR, Division of Historic
    Preservation and Archaeology as soon as possible.
    Q: What happens if a burial or archaeological site before the dates mentioned above is
    accidentally discovered or encountered by activities such as earthmoving or
    construction?

A: The individual finding the site or burial must report the discovery to the IDNR within two
    working days. If they do not report the find or keep disturbing the site, they are breaking the
    law. When the discovery is reported to IDNR, law enforcement officers and professional
    archaeologists investigate the discovery and decide on a course of action to protect the site.

Any questions regarding archaeology in Indiana can be directed to the State Archaeologist,
    Dr. James R. Jones III at:
    Indiana Department of Natural Resources
    Division of Historic Preservation and Archaeology
    402 West Washington Street, Room W274
    Indianapolis, Indiana 46204-2739
    317-232-1646 ; FAX 317/232-0693
    www.ai.org/dnr ; dhpa@dnr.state.in.us

Last edited:

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    The funny thing is that there was SO MUCH native American presence in Indiana (aka: land of the Indians) that virtually EVERY construction site or road building activity turns up artifacts. If they had followed the law and stopped construction and notified the authorities every time an artifact was discovered, I-69 would have NEVER BEEN COMPLETED through southern Indiana, and most everyone I know that built a house would have had to stop constuction due to artfacts being found at their "archeological site (aka: basement)". It is a stupid "feel good" overreaching law that came out of Bloomington (nuff said).

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Great looking place, that picture of the spring with the blue tinted water certainly caught the gardener's interest.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Great looking place, that picture of the spring with the blue tinted water certainly caught the gardener's interest.

The soil is rich....Best I can ascertain is that these geological features, starting at Hemlock Cliffs and heading south to the river, were carved out by glacial run off at the end of the Younger Dryas event.....

wciceiceage.jpg

dryas2.gif

Last edited:

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    The funny thing is that there was SO MUCH native American presence in Indiana (aka: land of the Indians) that virtually EVERY construction site or road building activity turns up artifacts. .

Funny you should say that...I remember back in the '80's myself and this Brit I was dating went and saw "Poltergeist" and was loving the movie...Could not wait to find out the "mystery" as to why their suburban home was haunted...Then at the climax you find out it was built on an Indian burial ground...I looked at her and said, "That's the biggest crock of **** I have ever seen...That's just B.S." She asked why and I said, "Well...For one thing every neighborhood in Louisville, New Albany, Corydon, Clarksville, Hell ANY town in the Ohio Valley is built on Indian villages and graves...." LOL......

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    The funny thing is that there was SO MUCH native American presence in Indiana (aka: land of the Indians) that virtually EVERY construction site or road building activity turns up artifacts. If they had followed the law and stopped construction and notified the authorities every time an artifact was discovered, I-69 would have NEVER BEEN COMPLETED through southern Indiana, and most everyone I know that built a house would have had to stop constuction due to artfacts being found at their "archeological site (aka: basement)". It is a stupid "feel good" overreaching law that came out of Bloomington (nuff said).

Yep, Thats why when you find something, it was always on the surface. and "no, you may not search my property for more". ;)

Reminds me of a conservation act enacted in Ontario. They were protecting an "endangered" snake that was VERY VERY plentiful on Pelee Island out in the middle of Lake Erie, but not so plentiful on the mainland. It is ecologically isolated so their population was nowhere near endangered. But due to the law, if one of these snakes was even spotted on your land, any improvements had to be stopped in case a nest might be disturbed.

Residents would take the dead snakes (however they died) and drape them over the "snakes are a protected species" signs that were all over the island in protest.

The soil is rich....Best I can ascertain is these geological features, starting at Hemlock Cliffs and heading south to the river, were carved out by glacial run off at the end of the Younger Dryas event.....

Hemlock is one of my favorite places to explore. Neat features.

Last edited:

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    There is a Nature Conservancy Preserve about 1/4 mile upstream....

Shooting Star Cliffs | The Nature Conservancy

[h=6]WHY YOU SHOULD VISIT[/h][FONT=&quot]A bit of Hoosier Appalachia, the Shooting Star Cliffs rugged landscape proves that Indiana is not the flat, agricultural land many people believe it to be. Cliffs, overhangs, sandstone rock shelters and hollows make up this stunning complex of natural areas. The Conservancy's Saalman Hollow Nature Preserve and three Special Areas designated by the Hoosier National Forest - Hemlock Cliffs, Pott's Creek and Oil Creek - make up this amazing area.[/FONT]
    [h=6]LOCATION[/h][FONT=&quot]Perry and Crawford Counties[/FONT]
    [h=6]ECOREGION[/h][FONT=&quot]Interior Low Plateau[/FONT]
    [h=6]SIZE[/h][FONT=&quot]1,182 Acres (Hemlock Cliffs)
    100 Acres (Saalman Hollow)[/FONT]

[h=6]DEDICATED[/h][FONT=&quot]State Nature Preserve, 1986 (Saalman Hollow)[/FONT]
    [h=6]OWNED & MANAGED BY[/h][FONT=&quot]The Nature Conservancy & U.S. Forest Service[/FONT]
    [h=6]PARTNERS[/h][FONT=&quot]Land and Water Conservation Fund[/FONT]
    [h=6]WHAT THE NATURE CONSERVANCY IS DOING/HAS DONE[/h][FONT=&quot]Working with the U.S. Forest Service, the Conservancy stewardship staff continues to work on various reforestation projects and managing invasive species.

[/FONT]

[h=1]The Shooting Star Cliffs portfolio is a virtual smorgasbord of nature history.[/h]
    [FONT=&quot]

[h=6]SHOOTING STAR CLIFFS SPECIAL AREAS[/h]These specific site are regarded as special areas by the U.S. Forest Service due to their important and special attributes.
    [h=6]HEMLOCK CLIFFS[/h]A breathtaking area that is completely accessible due to the U.S. Forest Service-made parking area and established trails. The rugged and diverse topography bares overhangs, rock shelters, a natural arch and spring alcoves covered with an assortment of plant species. Hemlock Cliffs also features the largest vertical drop in the state at 150 feet. Although tempting, please refrain from rappelling or doing any other recreational activities that may disturb the landscape. Overuse of the site has already created detrimental impacts.
    [h=6]POTT'S CREEK[/h]The only population of umbrella magnolia in the state are located in this Special Area. Several stands are found sheltered in the sandstone hollows on either side of I-64. Several sites remain unprotected so access is very limited.
    [h=6]OIL CREEK[/h]A complex of several hollows and cliff sites - Abbott's Hollow, Bear Hollow, Dauby Hollow, Peter Cave Hollow, Jubin Creek Cliffs and Oil Creek Cliffs - exhibit spectacular features and scenery. Be wary of the private lands around these areas; please do not trespass.
    [h=6]SAALMAN HOLLOW[/h]Rich Cave Hollow, now known as Saalman Hollow Nature Preserve, is named after the former owner and steward, Major Otis E. Saalman. As a prisoner of war Major Saalman dreamed of returning to his native Perry County hills and settling down. This he did, and it could be well argued that after experiencing a living hell, Otis Saalman had found his Heaven on Earth. (Visit the Saalman Family website for more information.)
    Saalman Hollow is surely one of Indiana’s most beautiful and aesthetically pleasing nature preserves. As one follows the small intermittent creek further into the hollow the sandstone walls on either side pinch together forming a deeply cleft narrow canyon, in which one can reach out and touch at arm’s length both canyon walls.
    Most of the land remains privately owned and permission must be granted before entering the property. Please do not trespass.
    [h=6]WHAT TO SEE: PLANTS AND ANIMALS[/h]Eastern hemlock trees, mountain laurel, deerberry, farkleberry, dryland blueberry and blackberry plants can be found throughout the preserve. Distinctive flora on the sandstone include lobed and maiden spleenwort, rock clubmoss and various ferns - like walking fern and the exceptionally rare filmy fern. The preserves namesake, and globally rare plant, is the French's shooting star which is usually found beneath larger rock shelters. The variety of flora is long and diverse at the preserve, far too many to state here.
    Animal life is just as rich and varied as the plants found at the Shooting Star Cliffs. Numerous critters make their homes in the overhangs and cliffs like Eastern phoebes and antlions (doodlebugs). Vultures nest and bobcats make their dens at the site as well. Bug enthusiasts should know that some of the rarest cave-adapted invertebrates make up the most significant creatures in the areas. Troglobytic millipedes, psuedoscorpions, aquatic isopods and amphipods lead an unseen subterranean existence in the handful of cave passages in the lower layers of Hemlock Cliffs.
    The moderate to rugged terrain and developed trails will make the hike an adventure without the worries of losing the way on this vast property. Please take the time to read the Conservancy's Preserve Visitation Guidelines for more information.
    [h=6]FOR MORE INFORMATION[/h]

[/FONT]

Top Bottom