We need to come up with a signature policy!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    I think it should be treated just like the custom user titles. Everyone can have a one line sig. If you want more then become a site supporter and receive up to 3 lines and a small pic. Small as in the vet pic in IndyGunWorks or BillofRights INGO logo in their respective signatures.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I think it should be treated just like the custom user titles. Everyone can have a one line sig. If you want more then become a site supporter and receive up to 3 lines and a small pic. Small as in the vet pic in IndyGunWorks or BillofRights INGO logo in their respective signatures.

I change my answer to this, he's got it all figured out :+1: !!!

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008

I like this idea, but would like to take it one step further. One thing that really yanks my chain is doing a search for a specific make or model of firearm and the results show tons of returns that have nothing to do with the search entered. The reason? People listing what firearms they own in the signature line. I would like to see a rule no make or models of firearms in the signature lines.

Yes I'm aware of how loud my signature line is. I will be happy to tone it down and go with Cwood's criteria. And hopefully along with the suggestion I made, no makes or models of firearms in the signature line.:ingo:

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Tell you what I like the idea of some guidelines for signatures so much I will not only talk the talk I will walk the walk

I will go from this:

CHESTY2.jpg
    usmcflag.gif

To this: Via dolorum bonis propositis strata est.

Now lets see where this thread goes from here.

cordex

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    You can turn off the signature if you want to.

I like no pics too, although I vote for a little discrimination... I think military and vets should be allowed to fly their colors or deceration or whatever the acronim is for this...

member13117.png

Redneck,
    There's a local marine who runs a site that will generate those ribbon images for free: My Service Pride|Military Service Ribbons|Stationary,Decals,Stickers,Letterhead,Notepads

As to the subject of this thread, I always turn off signatures when I can. For that matter, I turn off avatars as well. Neither adds to my forum experience.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Tell you what I like the idea of some guidelines for signatures so much I will not only talk the talk I will walk the walk

I will go from this:

CHESTY2.jpg
    usmcflag.gif

To this: Via dolorum bonis propositis strata est.

Now lets see where this thread goes from here.

A banner of that size in your sig is really not an issue.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    If the sig does not force an increase in the vertical length of the info panel on the left side, does it make any difference?

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    If the sig does not force an increase in the vertical length of the info panel on the left side, does it make any difference?

Well I guess it would be relevant to the total area of the info tab at left. A large paragraph would increase the top/bottom spacing regardless if the poster had a signature or not.
    :)
    :D see?

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Correct, but regardless of what's in the sig line, if it's content did NOT force the extension of the info space, it wouldn't matter, unless the content of the post forced that over-run. Whatever works best. Sig lines are not hardly critical.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    For the most part I enjoy reading and looking at others sig. lines / pics. No problem for me to scroll down but I do see an issue for those on dial up, that would suck.

JByer323

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    I'm kinda torn here. I totally get what Mike is saying, but at the same time, I really like the signatures, they give you an idea about who you're talking with.

I have no problem with most pictures in sig lines. Banners (be it military or a custom user made ones), flags, Mosin Devotion (first one that came to my mind), and things of that nature are no big deal at all to me. It's when you start putting in pictures of your pet dog, your unicycle, and your favorite easy chair that I start to get a little annoyed.

I would limit them to a total of one image, and yeah, set some (not too restrictive) size guidelines. As far as text goes, have a witty signature, and a quote (with [] tags) from a forum member if you want. If you're quoting someone though, just drop the size down.

This is something I'll think a bit more on, but these are my initial thoughts at least.

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    just my :twocents: here.

Sig lines are a vital part of any internet forum, it lets you show a little uniqueness that sets you apart from the other thousands of people. I say keep them as are, I really have only seen one or two that are really to large but that doesn't bother me in the least.

If its a bandwidth issue that maybe look into it, if its just a personal preference issue than maybe a option should be given (if possible). I definitely dont have a huge sig line, but have no problem with people who do (some of them are kinda fun to read).

KPierce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Jeffersonville
    To be completely honest I see no problem with the sigs as they are now. For those who prefer not to see them or on a dial up connection you should be able to block them out.

I have always thought that sigs give character to a forum as they allow some uniqueness to be shown by the poster. And while I have seen a couple of really big ones, they really don't bother me.

I say leave them be. Block them if you don't want to see them, but don't censor them. Just my :twocents:

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove

My question exactly.

Compare posts #32 #33 and #34 above. One has a 7 line sig, one has a one line sig, one does not have a sig, and actually, the one with a 1 line sig looks larger to me...

Last edited:

mikea46996

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Winamac
    Might be a little large but it gets across who I am and what I stand for.....

Is something of this size the issue if it is as much as I would hate to I will alter it for the good of the forum.

Top Bottom