We need to come up with a signature policy!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    I'm kinda torn here. I totally get what Mike is saying, but at the same time, I really like the signatures, they give you an idea about who you're talking with.

I have no problem with most pictures in sig lines. Banners (be it military or a custom user made ones), flags, Mosin Devotion (first one that came to my mind), and things of that nature are no big deal at all to me. It's when you start putting in pictures of your pet dog, your unicycle, and your favorite easy chair that I start to get a little annoyed.

I would limit them to a total of one image, and yeah, set some (not too restrictive) size guidelines. As far as text goes, have a witty signature, and a quote (with [] tags) from a forum member if you want. If you're quoting someone though, just drop the size down.

This is something I'll think a bit more on, but these are my initial thoughts at least.

I agree. I like to know who I am talking to as well... Military/Vets, LEO, Attorneys, Students, Professors etc.:ingo:

slacker

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapols, IN
    fI like how this site does signatures.
    Smaller text in a less distracting color
    example thread: Best Terminal Program for Windows - [H]ard|Forum

Add block Plus is great too

scutter1.jpg

scutter2.jpg

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Ah so it seems the consensus is signature lines are fine the way they are, no new rules are needed and if someone does not want to see them they can turn them off.
    I'm going back to my old signature....

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Some of the signatures around here are massive and distracting. I'd like to get some rules in place to keep the board a bit more uniform and avoid signatures that are longer than posts.

Post your comments and suggestions on a new policy here.

There you go Mike, I trimmed mine down. I'll admit it hurt a little, but I think I'll live.

Let's get rid of some of these HUGE pictures. I like seeing all of the different signatures/avatars/etc, but some are too much. I don't want to disable everyones' because I like to see the different expressions. So a nice size limit and character limit ought to tidy up the threads while keeping people's originalities intact. :twocents:

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    As I said before, I think as long as it doesn't get any bigger than the sidebar already makes a post, then that should be fine. What is the point of making a tiny sig, if the sidebar makes your post still the same size?

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    As I said before, I think as long as it doesn't get any bigger than the sidebar already makes a post, then that should be fine. What is the point of making a tiny sig, if the sidebar makes your post still the same size?

That's reasonable, I'll agree with that. Keeps it tidy and allows for plenty of room without making 20 posts look like 50 in page length.

:+1: Rep'd for your efficient idea.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I say limit it to a height in pixels, if it's text or pix, you have a total # of pixels tall allowed.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I say lets do a poll. If we get restricted then I will just go through all the effort of copy and past my signature into my response, so take that big bad Forum Government, Infringing on my 1st Amen Rights to express myself on this Board!!! :laugh:

I am an American. I not only believe in Jesus Christ, he is the reason for my existence. I love my country and will fight to keep her pure. I spank my child in public. I think homosexuality is a sin along with the murder of a fetus. I have no problem with people of different color, gender, religion or cultures; until it's decided they want to point out the differences and capitalize on them.
    If you disagree with me ok, keep it to yourself; otherwise be ready to hear;
    Kiss My :moon:!!!
    I am an American. I not only believe in Jesus Christ, he is the reason for my existence. I love my country and will fight to keep her pure. I spank my child in public. I think homosexuality is a sin along with the murder of a fetus. I have no problem with people of different color, gender, religion or cultures; until it's decided they want to point out the differences and capitalize on them.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    FYI we will have a new sig policy in place soon and it will be close to what cwood has suggested.

1 line sig (no images or links) only text for registered members

Site Supporters will be able to post images and links

I think it should be treated just like the custom user titles. Everyone can have a one line sig. If you want more then become a site supporter and receive up to 3 lines and a small pic. Small as in the vet pic in IndyGunWorks or BillofRights INGO logo in their respective signatures.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    FYI we will have a new sig policy in place soon and it will be close to what cwood has suggested.

I also would agree with IndyRoadie, Mike. I think even the Site Supporters should not be able to do spam-sigs. Some limitation is good, but that said, limiting to three lines when the sidebar leaves blank lines in the post is kinda pointless.

:twocents:

Blessings,
    Bill

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    I think it's fine, but a change shouldn't kill anyone

Damn, that's what OBAMA said, CHANGE and look what happened ;)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cwood
    I think it should be treated just like the custom user titles. Everyone can have a one line sig. If you want more then become a site supporter and receive up to 3 lines and a small pic. Small as in the vet pic in IndyGunWorks or BillofRights INGO logo in their respective signatures

Just read Fenway's latest and greatest, not good for me :noway:
    Stay Safe :patriot:

Last edited:

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    If the large signatures are bogging down the server(s) and making the site slower I am all for elimination or reduction of the big signatures.
    Lately the site does take a while to load at some points.

Top Bottom