• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    So sorry for your family's loss. What a terrible ordeal.

Your father in law can derive perhaps some consolation from the fact that his guns would almost certainly have been a total loss even if they were in the safe. Temperatures that won't destroy the safe can still destroy the items inside. Talk to a firefighter sometime about how many guns are removed from a safe that "survived" a fire only to have the guns inside be a total loss.

From what I understand, it's so common it's the rule, not the exception.

So your father in law need not beat himself up. He did nothing wrong, and his guns almost certainly couldn't have been saved.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Awful. I have been to many housefires as a firefighter, and they are just devastating. And the dogs, that is terrible.

Best wishes to everyone.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Wow. Glad they survived, and can rebuild. But... wow.

Reinforces why we have a metal ash bucket that is ALWAYS set on brick/stone/concrete, NEVER near the house, and is dumped out in the garden weeks later.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Prayers for your in-laws ,BT. Very sorry to hear of the loss. If your FIL was wise and was paying for a rider for the guns value, he will be thankful. I'd be screwed. Still need to do the paperwork and get my excess covered.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Very sad for your inlaws BT. Very glad all the people got out. My sincerest condolences.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    You can not be too careful with fire...even old fire; I think about this every time I empty the fireplace ashes. I wish them the best in their recovery.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I hadn't looked at this thread because I knew it would break my heart...It did...I am so anal about our fireplace at the little farm house that I dump the ashes in the creek....More than once i heard a "hiss" as I was doing it and thought "How the hell was there a coal from 24 hours ago?"

Seeing that Winchester model 42 and hearing about the dogs just put me in a funk...I'm glad everyone survived Bigtanker...God bless you and yours during the rebuilding process...Your'all in my prayers buddy...

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    So sorry for your family's loss. What a terrible ordeal.

Your father in law can derive perhaps some consolation from the fact that his guns would almost certainly have been a total loss even if they were in the safe. Temperatures that won't destroy the safe can still destroy the items inside. Talk to a firefighter sometime about how many guns are removed from a safe that "survived" a fire only to have the guns inside be a total loss.

From what I understand, it's so common it's the rule, not the exception.

So your father in law need not beat himself up. He did nothing wrong, and his guns almost certainly couldn't have been saved.

He got into the safe yesterday. Nothing survived. He figured it was in the heart of the fire for about 2 hours.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Heartbreaking!
    A sobering lesson for all of us on many levels.
    My son and wife bought a house this summer with a real wood fireplace and he has never had one before and I'm going to send him your post as a heads-up on "you can't be too careful."

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    My heart goes out to your in-laws. My wife and I experienced the same last year just a few day after Thanksgiving. Having been through it, I sort of wished our fire was as complete as your in-laws. Ours left over half of the house intact but pretty much everything ruined anyway. Just tore up my wife every time we went in to search through for anything salvageable. We were fortunate our dogs got out. That would have hurt me more than any of the material possessions.
    I wish them all the best going forward! It is a long process. We may get to move back into our new home built on the old basement before the end of the year.

Matt

Top Bottom