• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    My condolences to your in-laws BT. I cannot imagine what dealing with that situation would be like and hope never to learn of it first hand. At least they are Ok.

dung

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2017
    Charlestwon
    Good luck! I have been shopping insurance lately and it seems like unless you schedule your firearms or anything of remote value you don't get covered for it.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Good luck! I have been shopping insurance lately and it seems like unless you schedule your firearms or anything of remote value you don't get covered for it.
    Your guns ARE covered as any other items in your home... up to the amount of your policy. If your homes contents are valued over the amount in your policy, THEN you should either raise the policy or add a rider.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Your guns ARE covered as any other items in your home... up to the amount of your policy. If your homes contents are valued over the amount in your policy, THEN you should either raise the policy or add a rider.

^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^

We just changed providers and are doing the research. Looks like we will be upping the policy.

Htrailblazer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Franklin
    I know the NRA offers free insurance on guns as well, so if he is a member and filled out the form that might be a place to seek payment. Also the manufacturer of the safe usually will cover anything in the safe that was damaged up to a certain amount.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I know the NRA offers free insurance on guns as well, so if he is a member and filled out the form that might be a place to seek payment. Also the manufacturer of the safe usually will cover anything in the safe that was damaged up to a certain amount.

I knew that about the NRA and I asked him. He let his membership run out a years or so ago.

I'll have him check into the safe though. Thanks.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I found the .22lr Woodchucker on Monday. The stock was burnt pretty good but everything else still works. I can work the bolt pretty easy and the trigger still fires it.

He also found his model 17-4. We can open the cylinder and most of the action works. Trigger doesn't want to come back on it's own. It really doesnt seem to awful bad, compared to the other revolvers. I'll email Denny at Sand Burr and see if maybe a good going through could save it.

Last edited:

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    It really doesn't seem to awful bad, compared to the other revolvers. I'll email Denny at Sand Burr and see if maybe a good going through could save it.
    Following with interest. I thought once they got this hot the temper (?) of the steel was ruined for use.

We hope for the best for your in-laws. I was following the shotgun thread when you posted about the fire. The pictures are heartbreaking. So horrible to lose pets like this. And then to add insult to injury the cars even burned.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    We have a survivor!!!!! Somehow this 14-4 made it out with just a good cleaning. I was able to verify it still shoots great.

Crippledzeus

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2017
    Westfield
    So sorry to hear about this. Give your in-laws hugs because they are still alive and things could have been much worse. Has anyone set up a Go-fund-me account for them yet?

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Here's an observation that might be something for future reference/others to consider. We had a neighbor and a family member who both had house fires. Both homes were completely gutted. The refrigerators in both protected the contents completely. I was amazed. The neighbor's refrigerator was still cold inside after the house had been burning for a few hours, and the outside was damaged but the interior was unaffected. The cousin's refrigerator was melted shut but when we pried the door off, everything inside was completely intact...including the ketchup bottles, etc. in the door. It obviously isn't as secure as a safe, but if you had a secure location to hide one, it might be a good place to store things to protect them in the event of a fire.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    So sorry to hear about this. Give your in-laws hugs because they are still alive and things could have been much worse. Has anyone set up a Go-fund-me account for them yet?

Thanks. I put one up and there was a good response. The insurance is working on getting a big trailer for them to stay in until the new house is built.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Here's an observation that might be something for future reference/others to consider. We had a neighbor and a family member who both had house fires. Both homes were completely gutted. The refrigerators in both protected the contents completely. I was amazed. The neighbor's refrigerator was still cold inside after the house had been burning for a few hours, and the outside was damaged but the interior was unaffected. The cousin's refrigerator was melted shut but when we pried the door off, everything inside was completely intact...including the ketchup bottles, etc. in the door. It obviously isn't as secure as a safe, but if you had a secure location to hide one, it might be a good place to store things to protect them in the event of a fire.

Their fridge.

Top Bottom