• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VostocK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 28, 2010
    It ended up costing us about $5K, but that was a "discounted" rate. If we had to pay regular price it would've been about twice that. Refusal wasn't an option.
    Man that's rough. Its a sad state of affairs when the state can force a property owner to spend thousands of dollars to pay for a service they do not want or need.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    State law dictates if you hook up to sewer. If you are within 300 feet, I believe you have to. With a healthy well, you cannot be made to hook up. That being said, it's a heck of a lot cheaper to hook in when all the equipment is on site already and they want your money to help with the costs.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    I live in a small town in Pike County that forced people to hook to the new sewer system in the late 80's. Made people fill in their out houses and go to indoor plumbing. Most that did have indoor plumbing had real septic tanks but there were those who turned a 275 gallon fuel oil tank on its side, ran one pipe in and overflow pipe over to an open ditch.
    I still would not trust well water around here but it does smell much better now.

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    Slight hijack. Bidenomics has F upped about everything. Waiting a month for a panel for our camper, the dealer finally gets it, its damaged. Bidenomics in a sentence. Cost of everything is up.
    Back on topic. We are one a well. I dread the day it fails. Too far out for city water thank goodness.

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    I know I'm on borrowed time on my pump as it's around 30 years old. Then last year my pressure tank was way low on air and caused my pump to short cycle for who knows how long. Probably wouldn't hurt to have the water tested, it hasn't been tested since we bought the house. Also I've never done any well maintenance was never really sure if it's needed.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    I know I'm on borrowed time on my pump as it's around 30 years old. Then last year my pressure tank was way low on air and caused my pump to short cycle for who knows how long. Probably wouldn't hurt to have the water tested, it hasn't been tested since we bought the house. Also I've never done any well maintenance was never really sure if it's needed.
    If you know what the pump is, start shopping now. Not too hard to replace. Hardest part of mine will be getting it out of the ground initially as i have no clue what the big nut is on the top.

Get it while you can.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    State law dictates if you hook up to sewer. If you are within 300 feet, I believe you have to. With a healthy well, you cannot be made to hook up. That being said, it's a heck of a lot cheaper to hook in when all the equipment is on site already and they want your money to help with the costs.
    I would not refuse to hook up. I would refuse to close my well. And my septic.

1 is none.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    When I had my house built in 1998, there was already a 50s-era 100-foot deep well on the property. I put the pump in the crawl space of the house and installed a new pressure tank. A few years later, we got city water, but I kept the well to water the garden. In the years since then, I've replaced the pump once and I pulled and replaced the drop-line in the well myself. That pump started making noise this past spring, so I bought a new one to install when I get the time. Above-ground pumps are easier to deal with for a DIY'er, and a good one cost less than $500. And, with the pump in the crawl space, I can hear if it's running or not.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I would not refuse to hook up. I would refuse to close my well. And my septic.

1 is none.
    I don't know of a municipality that can allow the septic to remain. How your septic is abandoned is spelled out also. Town, county, state, fed. All involved. The well can be kept but separately. No cross connection allowed. Also clearly spelled out by all the previous entities.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I don't know of a municipality that can allow the septic to remain. How your septic is abandoned is spelled out also. Town, county, state, fed. All involved. The well can be kept but separately. No cross connection allowed. Also clearly spelled out by all the previous entities.
    You are correct as far as septics go. Pretty sure the homeowner is required to pass an inspection that includes verification that all sewage AND greywater lines are connected into the new sanitary, and that the septic tank has been filled in. I suppose, if you fill it with pea gravel to pass inspection, you could hire a vac truck to suck the pea gravel out later if you want.

As far as wells go, I was allowed to keep mine because my property isn't within any town or city that could prohibit private wells by ordinance. Most municipalities that provide city water have an ordinance that prohibits private wells.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    You are correct as far as septics go. Pretty sure the homeowner is required to pass an inspection that includes verification that all sewage AND greywater lines are connected into the new sanitary, and that the septic tank has been filled in. I suppose, if you fill it with pea gravel to pass inspection, you could hire a vac truck to suck the pea gravel out later if you want.

As far as wells go, I was allowed to keep mine because my property isn't within any town or city that could prohibit private wells by ordinance. Most municipalities that provide city water have an ordinance that prohibits private wells.
    We allow wells but you can't drill new ones.

ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    What happens if, say, some moron comes along with an excavator and knocks the top of the well off and the plumbing and wiring all falls down inside?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Did you pull the pump by hand or did you have to rent some kind of tool to pull the pump ?
    Pulled it by hand. I made a T-handle out of 1" black pipe- 6 feet long with a tee and 2- 1 foot pipes for the handles, threaded it into the top of the pitless, disconnected the wires, pulled the cable that locked the pitless into the pipe that goes inside and my wife and I pulled it up. Obviously, the further down, the heavier.

Did the reverse procedure to put it back down after the pump was changed. I inspected the wires, found them sound and re-taped them to the pipe.

Top Bottom