What’s a lot of rounds (Based on "What’s a big gun collection?")

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    1000 per caliber is where I like to be. It's a lot of salt, but cheaper in the long run. Also, when unchambered rounds cook off in a fire, they really don't go anywhere. Put them in a metal can if it makes you feel better.

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    Gauging round counts certainly depends on how much you train and shoot.
    I shoot 9mm the most so with all mags full plus 1500 is my normal. Of course if a good deal comes around, then I will purchase more.
    Now that's just FMJ. What about self defense rounds ? Much more expensive so I tend to keep at minimum a full mag for each handgun.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    If you have so many rounds that when your house catches fire and the fire department refuses to approach because of the rounds cooking off and then your insurance company refuses to pay out on the loss...you might have had a lot of rounds.

Actually had that happen down the road from us a couple of years ago. FD initially rolled in but pulled back once the cooking off started. The smell of gunpowder hung over the area for days. If it hadn't been for the family's loss it would have been glorious!

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    To the media, anything more than 5 or 6 rounds loaded in the gun is a stockpile.
    To 50% of gun owners, not having to go to the store on the way to the range is probably a stockpile. (think of all the guns sold as "some carry wear, never shot")

Realistically, I'd say a year's supply at your current use... for competition shooters that's a lot. for someone that shoots a box once a month not so much.

WTH?
    I can't recall ever going to the range with just one. Ever.

I did that just this weekend. several of us did actually. We were there to work on the lights and electrical, not to use it as a range though.

Let's just say I'm glad that room is on a slab. :whistle:

yea... I think about that from time to time. poor floor joists.

Since I reload for all but 22lr I usually don't load much more than I shoot now days. Component wise I have thousands of rounds ready to be loaded at any given time.

You have a stockpile of equipment and material to make ammunition in various calibers. You're an even sicker sort of evil than a normal terrorist that buys factory ammo.

Last edited:

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    But do you have a spreadsheet to track the inventory? ;-)
    CM with a spreadsheet? An old school handwritten one yes, a new fangled one from Microsoft Excel not so much.

I use a spreadsheet to track mine, but I am a nerd after all.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    Really takes off at around the 1:10 mark. Puts in in perspective. Thank you.

Also, not to "jack" my own thread but...what is the explosion at 2:03 in? A propane cylinder?

The article from the firefighters contained a lot of info about eplodey things I never gave much thought to.

Between my hobbies and prepping, if my house ever catches fire it will just all be gone.

It might be time to put in a call to my agent and up the insurance and ask a few questions.

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I tend to buy ammo when I see a good sale/clearance. Been doing that for years and just dropping the boxes into my ammo closet. Got a bug up my a** a couple years back and did a big ammo consolidation project. I was flabbergasted at how much ammo I had amassed. Ended up being around 30K split up between .223/5.56, 7.62x39, 9mm, .45ACP, .300 BLK and 12 gauge. I think this is a good benchmark.

BCmWOVD.jpg

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    I tend to buy ammo when I see a good sale/clearance. Been doing that for years and just dropping the boxes into my ammo closet. Got a bug up my a** a couple years back and did a big ammo consolidation project. I was flabbergasted at how much ammo I had amassed. Ended up being around 30K split up between .223/5.56, 7.62x39, 9mm, .45ACP, .300 BLK and 12 gauge. I think this is a good benchmark.

Dude, that is an impressive shot. Love all the trashed boxes.

I hate to make assumptions but...you kept all of the different velocities segregated, etc?
    (Asking because I have thought about doing the same but then having to label everything with fps, etc stops me.)

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    Dude, that is an impressive shot. Love all the trashed boxes.

I hate to make assumptions but...you kept all of the different velocities segregated, etc?
    (Asking because I have thought about doing the same but then having to label everything with fps, etc stops me.)

Yes. All ammo boxes are separated by caliber - grain weight - manufacturer (if possible). If you look close you can also see that I dropped part of the cardboard box from the ammo types into each ammo can.

Top Bottom