What’s a lot of rounds (Based on "What’s a big gun collection?")

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Yes. All ammo boxes are separated by caliber - grain weight - manufacturer (if possible). If you look close you can also see that I dropped part of the cardboard box from the ammo types into each ammo can.

Gotcha. That actually makes a lot of sense.

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Is there any legal requirement to notify the fire department or any other government agency that you have a certain level of ammo? If so, what is that level? Is it considered a hazardous material?
    Asking for a friend.

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    As a semi-recent transplant to Indiana, I'll say this ... if it's not causing your suspension to sag during a move, it ain't enough.

And I was driving a box truck.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I commented on ammo in the other thread. Mentioned there that most people who buy guns don’t buy much ammo. Couple boxes at the most. Usually enough for a range outing which means 50-100 rounds. A lot of people question why they need extra laying around. 1000 rounds of center fire to the average Joe is a lot of ammo.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    As a semi-recent transplant to Indiana, I'll say this ... if it's not causing your suspension to sag during a move, it ain't enough.

And I was driving a box truck.

When I moved my ammo my Jeep went from 16mpg to 10mpg and that wasn't all of it. I only wish I needed a box truck for it.

---

To answer the question, I've never seen "a lot" (though some in this thread are getting there). Anything under 2k/caliber is under prepared, IMO. 1k to shoot, 1k just in case. That's one of the great many reasons I think pretty hard before adopting a new caliber, unless it's something that is only just for fun.

I also admit that 2k 12 gauge shells, especially when expanded to various loads, might be a little much.... a boy can dream though.

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    this time of year i'm pretty well stocked up on the ammo i'll shoot this year in matches. as the year goes on the supply goes down. I have 6000 +/- rds of 22LR, 2000 rds of 45acp, and 1000 +/- 12g. the 12 g wont change much.

:cheers:

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Before getting into it, I think having a good amount of defensive ammo is often over looked. A case or so of hollow points for your go to rifle/caliber and one or so for your pistol is just a good idea in my opinion in addition to everything else.

Obviously amounts change from person to person and I wish I could have kept back more over the past several years. I also hope I can keep buying it cheap for another 4 or 5 years and really put a lot more away, like three or four times more than I have at least! I reload and I feel 10K+ for factory ammo if you're a reloader and have tons of components is a good place to acquire a baseline. You just leave the factory untouched and reload what you shoot for the most part. The big thing is that if you hit your personal baseline and aren't building your stash you better figure out how to make or buy more ammo. Not shooting below the mark you've set while trying to bump it up has worked for me. I have a friend with factory ammo well over 50k in several major calibers and 20-30k in calibers I would say aren't shot as much. Plus reloading components out the wazoo. I may never feel that set but I'd like to! I'm just working to half that right now! I think about the fact I'd like to have enough factory ammo to shoot the barrels out of a couple rifles is a good way to keep it (and that still doesn't feel like enough). I'm just doing what I can.

Top Bottom