• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EricG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    NWI
    Me and the lady plan to grill a couple turkey legs, have dressing, baked mac & cheese and some mustard and turnips. Nothing too fancy because we have a couple invites to attend.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    He's putting the turkey in a bag, so...

180-190? 3 1/2 hours @ 350?

That's going to be a dry bird.

Spatchcock to increase the surface area, preheat 500F, then reduce to 350F after 30 minutes (better: 325 with convection). Cook till breast is 161F. If the legs and thighs get up to 180, that's OK, but your concern is the breast and not overcooking (or undercooking) that. For me, I'm expecting this 22# bird to take about two hours, or less.

IF you have an accurate thermometer AND if you know where to place it, the USDA's own publications make it clear you can easily go down to 150 degrees in the white meat with a rest. Now the dark will definately want more heat to break down the connectives, but not because it is unsafe.

https://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/wcm/c...70048a113a/RTE_Poultry_Tables.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

I found this article to be a must read for anyone serious about cooking.

https://www.foodsafetymagazine.com/magazine-archive1/februarymarch-2004/the-danger-zone-reevaluated/

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    IF you have an accurate thermometer AND if you know where to place it, the USDA's own publications make it clear you can easily go down to 150 degrees in the white meat with a rest. Now the dark will definately want more heat to break down the connectives, but not because it is unsafe.

https://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/wcm/c...70048a113a/RTE_Poultry_Tables.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

https://www.foodsafetymagazine.com/magazine-archive1/februarymarch-2004/the-danger-zone-reevaluated/

I'm going to have to check out that article. J. Kenji Lopez-Alt has a few articles about how it's not just temperature, it's time and temperature, meaning you can cook to a lower temp if you're time at that temp is longer. That's why my pork is always a little pink when I eat it.

My in-oven probe has probably the expected inaccuracy, my instant read thermometer is accurate.

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    Very simple here trying to shave some weight off . . .
    Cornish game hen - half of it Thursday and the other half on Friday. This weekend was a rehearsal with hen #1. :) Sides will most likely be baked crinkle cut french fries, diced mangoes, and a third of a 6" apple pie for dessert.

I don't stuff the hen. Instead, the inside is seasoned with black pepper, mustard seed, dried minced garlic and dried minced onion. Hen is trussed and basted in lemon juice with black pepper, ground garlic, ground onion, ground hot mustard seed, and topped with some chopped chives (no butter). I have a combination microwave and convection oven. Has a temperature probe to shut it down when it reaches a preset temperature. Hen is baked using convection only. Oven is preheated to 350 F with shutdown temperature set to 165 F.

I agree with what another posted. Going to 180 F with chickens and turkeys overcooks a properly trussed bird. Those recommendations are usually made as a CYA to account for bad meat thermometers and people putting them in too close to the surface or on top of a bone. I put the probe in along inner thigh and slightly upward toward the breast so that it's measuring the inner parts of the meat. Takes about 45 minutes and can tell it's done with golden brown color of breast and legs. Higher oven temp at 375 would brown the skin more but I like its color at 350. My mother used to overcook everything with meat on it: poultry, pork, beef, or fish. She had an enormous fear of trichinosis and salmonella. I attribute it to her being raised during the Great Depression on a small farm without a refrigerator, running water or electricity.

Found that trussing the hen evenly cooks all the parts, preventing burning wings and drying out the breast. Probe works better as well on a bird this small. There are various methods for trussing a bird using baking string (100% cotton). I use a combination of several methods I found on line that tucks the wings tips in behind the legs (instead of under the bird) and keeps the skin taut over the breast while pulling the legs and thighs in tight. Lining the pan with non-stick baking paper saves immense cleanup time (don't puncture the paper!).

John

Last edited:

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    Anyone have a good recipe for smoked turkey? I got my smoker this summer and have not done a turkey yet and was wondering how others did theirs. Do you inject it, rub it or what? What type of wood do you use. I have apple, hickory, mesquite and alder woods. Do you do it at 200 or 300 degrees? Any help would be appreciated.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    For smoked turkey, I brine it and then spatchcock to put in the smoker. Rub under the skin. I do them at 300° hanging so they are upright With the dark meat most exposed to the heat. I pulled them out when the breast is at 154 or so. A friend of mine who is a very good cook has been dry brining his and is really pleased with the results. For more info on that look it up on seriouseats.com

I would go with Apple out of those woods, what kind of smoker are you using?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

That's some seriously dry reading. I can't even begin to imagine how boring their trade shows are.

Nevertheless, there's a "infographic" in that article.

2304DangerZoneFig2.jpg

In other words, if you're slowly cooking your turkey, then 150F will be safe. AND you need to keep that thawing (or brining) bird below 45F for the days leading up to T-day.

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    For smoked turkey, I brine it and then spatchcock to put in the smoker. Rub under the skin. I do them at 300° hanging so they are upright With the dark meat most exposed to the heat. I pulled them out when the breast is at 154 or so. A friend of mine who is a very good cook has been dry brining his and is really pleased with the results. For more info on that look it up on seriouseats.com

I would go with Apple out of those woods, what kind of smoker are you using?

I've got a Bradley electric smoker that uses wood bisquettes. I have had good success with other meats but have yet to do a turkey.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    That's some seriously dry reading. I can't even begin to imagine how boring their trade shows are.

Nevertheless, there's a "infographic" in that article.

2304DangerZoneFig2.jpg

In other words, if you're slowly cooking your turkey, then 150F will be safe. AND you need to keep that thawing (or brining) bird below 45F for the days leading up to T-day.

Yeah, it is pretty technical, but as you said the graphs and charts are really helpful. The time temperature charts in the USDA link are one of my go to's for Sous Vide and slow cooking.

rw02kr43

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    Paragon
    Nothing this year. My sister and her husband aren't coming. FIL is in the hospital. MIL let it slip last spring that she hates smoked turkey. So I'm not doing one. We're going to Cracker Barrel.

Jason

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    I'm going to be hosting the day at my house for the 1st time ever. I plan on frying the bird which I've never done before but have watched it being done a few times. I'm not sure if I should borrow an outdoor fryer or buy one of those butterball XL electric fryers. The electric fryer looks to be a lot easier but will also cost me $110. I need to lookup some seasoning ideas and if I want to inject the bird.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    If I can find some good persimmons I'll tackle making a pudding. Anyone around the North side of Indy have a line on some good ones?

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Wife cooking Turkey old school in oven, also have deviled eggs, sweet tators, green beans, etc. Oldest son will be bringing his first foray into dry age meat (ribeye loaf) for some sear/smoke hopefully we all don’t die of food poisoning.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I'm going to be hosting the day at my house for the 1st time ever. I plan on frying the bird which I've never done before but have watched it being done a few times. I'm not sure if I should borrow an outdoor fryer or buy one of those butterball XL electric fryers. The electric fryer looks to be a lot easier but will also cost me $110. I need to lookup some seasoning ideas and if I want to inject the bird.
    I can't imagine a 120 VAC electric fryer being up to the task.

[video=youtube_share;8t2dwPTnsyA]http://youtu.be/8t2dwPTnsyA[/video]

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis

My dad has one of the outdoor friers, he used for several years. We had issues when it was a little cold outside. Even with a fresh full propane tank, it was very hard to maintain the temp. The regulator would freeze up to the point we had to keep hot water so we could wet a hand towel and wrap the regulator to keep sufficient flow to the burner. Backing the truck over it convinced him to get the butterball indoor frier. It's freakin awesome! Been using it for 4 or 5 years and every bird has been cooked perfectly. Tender, juicy, crispy skin..perfect. You will not be disappointed

Top Bottom