What are your training class plans for 2023?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jrm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    I plan on shooting these classes this year.
    Point 1 Tactics
    Modern Samurai RDS instructor
    Sage Dynamics RDS instructor

breakingcontact

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 7, 2018
    Southern Indiana
    I need to see what is offered at Riley CC. I haven't taken classes in a couple of years, most recently up at Atlanta CC and a lot of classes (Spaulding Handgun Combatives included) prior to that. I think I might be lazy.

ratames

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    I haven't takes any classes since Covid started so I'm looking forward to the Revere's Riders Intro to Concealed Carry class next weekend. I've taken more advanced classes in the past but thought this would be a good one to help knock off some rust and unlearn any bad habits I might have picked up over the last 3 years. Also looking to take an entry level carbine class later in the year and build up skills with my AR's.
    Class was a bit on the chilly side Saturday morning but it was a good day. I went in thinking the class might be a bit below my level but after not training for 3 years, it was good to go through some fundamentals for the first couple of drills. I would say it was the right class at the right time, minus the frigid temps of course. John is a great instructor and my classmates were both good shooters too. It ended up being a great day on the range and looking forward to more classes through Revere's Riders.

SmokingTrigger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2023
    Hancock County
    Hoping to take a rifle class either this year or next. I've never taken a rifle class at all and could benefit greatly from it.

Trying to talk a few family members into taking Fighting Pistol at Tactical Response. I've told them I'd take it again with them

Bollorollo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Indiana
    The silicon chip inside her head
    Gets switched to overload
    And nobody's gonna go to school today
    She's gonna make them stay at home
    And daddy doesn't understand it
    He always said she was good as gold
    And he can see no reasons 'cause there are no reasons
    What reason do you need to be shown?
    Oh oh oh
    (Tell me why) I don't like Mondays
    (Tell me why) I don't like, I don't like
    This song was played every Monday morning on a Chicago rock station I used to listen to as a teen at. After some psyhco woman with the last name Dann shot some kids at a school then took a family hostage and burned their house down..

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    The silicon chip inside her head
    Gets switched to overload
    And nobody's gonna go to school today
    She's gonna make them stay at home
    And daddy doesn't understand it
    He always said she was good as gold
    And he can see no reasons 'cause there are no reasons
    What reason do you need to be shown?
    Oh oh oh...
    (Tell me why) I don't like, I don't like..
    This song was played every Monday morning on a Chicago rock station I used to listen to as a teen at. After some psyhco woman with the last name Dann shot some kids at a school then took a family hostage and burned their house down..
    Not sure what case you are referring to but I remember a case of a lady named Spencer. No hostages were taken though

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Back to remedial courses for me this year. Ha ha. In truth I have not been practicing like I should with my career change and just sheer laziness. I also now have a 19 year old son in college and so far dear old dad has been able to help him out a bit financially. This May I have both of us signed up for a two day pistol class with Boone County Sheriff. I want to start his journey properly and together. Maybe when he graduates I can spring for GunSite but right now that is not in the budget.

Those who know me also know I like my 1911 for any serious social work. But I think for this one I will leave it behind. Bought my son a Glock 17 a couple of years ago and I keep a Glock 45 around (because it is a great gun!). I think I will use this as an excuse to buy more mags or at least open more packages. Get a big box of mags and a can of reloads and enjoy the time with my son. If his Glock goes down I hand him a gun and move on.

dagny99

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2023
    Indianapolis
    I’m hoping to take a close contact gunfighting class with Raul Martinez or similar. I’d like to get to MALC to check them out as well. I also think I need to get into local competitions to get my feet wet without looking too stupid.
    I’ve been looking for a close contact class I’ll have to check that out!

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Back to remedial courses for me this year. Ha ha. In truth I have not been practicing like I should with my career change and just sheer laziness. I also now have a 19 year old son in college and so far dear old dad has been able to help him out a bit financially. This May I have both of us signed up for a two day pistol class with Boone County Sheriff. I want to start his journey properly and together. Maybe when he graduates I can spring for GunSite but right now that is not in the budget.

Those who know me also know I like my 1911 for any serious social work. But I think for this one I will leave it behind. Bought my son a Glock 17 a couple of years ago and I keep a Glock 45 around (because it is a great gun!). I think I will use this as an excuse to buy more mags or at least open more packages. Get a big box of mags and a can of reloads and enjoy the time with my son. If his Glock goes down I hand him a gun and move on.

Class was last weekend. We took the Glocks, 25 magazines and big can of reloaded ammo. Put a dent in the ammo can and enjoyed some great weather. IMG_6192.jpeg

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Should I assume from that terse statement that it was not a phenomenal class?

I wouldn’t let that be the take away from my brief comment. I should write an AAR like in the old days, but I have grown busier and lazy. It was a good introductory two day course. As mentioned above a good value. Just yesterday I recommended it to a fellow shooter at a match who was looking for a class for his two daughters. He asked me if I was still teaching. I suppose I should accept the question as a personal compliment and my recommending the Boone County Sheriff would be my way of offering endorsement. I think it was a good first class for my 19 year old son so again another endorsement.

The class was introductory. Introductory in a good way as I feel we have a lack of courses offering good basic instruction. Split the two days into 4 sections. 1) classroom followed by 2) basic marksmanship. Next day 3) morning was Gun handling (reloads, malfunction clearance) followed by 4) afternoon of drills. All shooting was from the 3-5 yard line. It was fun and relevant.

The classroom portion was solid and Brian is a good public speaker. Starting at the 3-5 yard line and concentrating on marksmanship the first day was spot on. I would have done a couple of things differently on day 2. We spent a fair amount of time on “tactical reloads”. My kid thought he received some secret ninja knowledge that the Old Man never thought him. That is a topic for a thread of its own. When we did the Non-Standard response my kid decided to dump a magazine at 3 yards, reload and dump a 2nd mag. He did stop the threat and hey, he thought it was fun! I would have liked to have seen some work at 10-15 yards. I thought the Rolling Thunder inspired drill at the end was a nice touch and fun way to end the day.

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    I wouldn’t let that be the take away from my brief comment. I should write an AAR like in the old days, but I have grown busier and lazy. It was a good introductory two day course. As mentioned above a good value. Just yesterday I recommended it to a fellow shooter at a match who was looking for a class for his two daughters. He asked me if I was still teaching. I suppose I should accept the question as a personal compliment and my recommending the Boone County Sheriff would be my way of offering endorsement. I think it was a good first class for my 19 year old son so again another endorsement.

The class was introductory. Introductory in a good way as I feel we have a lack of courses offering good basic instruction. Split the two days into 4 sections. 1) classroom followed by 2) basic marksmanship. Next day 3) morning was Gun handling (reloads, malfunction clearance) followed by 4) afternoon of drills. All shooting was from the 3-5 yard line. It was fun and relevant.

The classroom portion was solid and Brian is a good public speaker. Starting at the 3-5 yard line and concentrating on marksmanship the first day was spot on. I would have done a couple of things differently on day 2. We spent a fair amount of time on “tactical reloads”. My kid thought he received some secret ninja knowledge that the Old Man never thought him. That is a topic for a thread of its own. When we did the Non-Standard response my kid decided to dump a magazine at 3 yards, reload and dump a 2nd mag. He did stop the threat and hey, he thought it was fun! I would have liked to have seen some work at 10-15 yards. I thought the Rolling Thunder inspired drill at the end was a nice touch and fun way to end the day.
    I would agree, its a good basic class and OK refresher class if you need that.

This spring I took the 3 day Gunsite pistol class and despite 2/3 days of crappy weather it really helped hone my skills and gave me drills to work on during my self training. We did a bit more 10-15 yard drills and even stretched it out to 30 yards and beyond for a couple of drills. I cannot say I learned any new manual skills but the mindset and threat analysis instruction was outstanding. Also was the first time I did any night shooting which was some fun and awesome instruction (and the first time I could fully appreciate my Dawson tritium night sights!).

Top Bottom