What are your training class plans for 2023?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I wouldn’t let that be the take away from my brief comment. I should write an AAR like in the old days, but I have grown busier and lazy. It was a good introductory two day course. As mentioned above a good value. Just yesterday I recommended it to a fellow shooter at a match who was looking for a class for his two daughters. He asked me if I was still teaching. I suppose I should accept the question as a personal compliment and my recommending the Boone County Sheriff would be my way of offering endorsement. I think it was a good first class for my 19 year old son so again another endorsement.

The class was introductory. Introductory in a good way as I feel we have a lack of courses offering good basic instruction. Split the two days into 4 sections. 1) classroom followed by 2) basic marksmanship. Next day 3) morning was Gun handling (reloads, malfunction clearance) followed by 4) afternoon of drills. All shooting was from the 3-5 yard line. It was fun and relevant.

The classroom portion was solid and Brian is a good public speaker. Starting at the 3-5 yard line and concentrating on marksmanship the first day was spot on. I would have done a couple of things differently on day 2. We spent a fair amount of time on “tactical reloads”. My kid thought he received some secret ninja knowledge that the Old Man never thought him. That is a topic for a thread of its own. When we did the Non-Standard response my kid decided to dump a magazine at 3 yards, reload and dump a 2nd mag. He did stop the threat and hey, he thought it was fun! I would have liked to have seen some work at 10-15 yards. I thought the Rolling Thunder inspired drill at the end was a nice touch and fun way to end the day.
    Nothing wrong with good basic instruction. There isn't enough of it out there. Instructors all want to teach "advanced" stuff and students want to take it. In many cases the student isn't ready for it and the instructor isn't qualified to teach it. The things you learn early on are the most important as the vast majority of people never get beyond that. Even if they do, that solid foundation sets you up for success instead of years of spinning your wheels. I know I am preaching to the choir telling you this, but there are others who need to hear it, even if they don't know it.

jlw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2018
    Georgia
    I took the GPSTC Semi-Auto 3 course, which is based on the Rogers Shooting School, two weeks ago. I'm taking Erick Gelhaus' PMO Instructor course in June followed by Glock's MOS Instructor Workshop in July. I may be taking a John Holschen class as well. Hopefully, I'll be able to find a few others.
    Oh yeah, edit to add: OK CLEET Lever Gun Instructor in July.

Last edited:

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I took the GPSTC Semi-Auto 3 course, which is based on the Rogers Shooting School, two weeks ago. I'm taking Erick Gelhaus' PMO Instructor course in June followed by Glock's MOS Instructor Workshop in July. I may be taking a John Holschen class as well. Hopefully, I'll be able to find a few others.
    Oh yeah, edit to add: OK CLEET Lever Gun Instructor in July.
    I have only trained with Mr. Holschen at TacCon. I would really like to take a full class from him.

It may be interesting to compare and contrast the Glock course with the Gelhaus course.

jlw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2018
    Georgia
    I have only trained with Mr. Holschen at TacCon. I would really like to take a full class from him.

It may be interesting to compare and contrast the Glock course with the Gelhaus course.

I took Sig's late last year. I'm curious as to how different pistol manufacturers approach the topic.

I had signed up for a Centrifuge class, but it didn't make.

I've done some dot work with Erick and have LOTs of discussions with him on the topic. It'll be good to put them all together in an actual class format.

I've taken several different blocks from John at various conferences, and I have lost track of the number of times we have paired up in classes. He's solid, extremely solid.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I’ve been looking for a close contact class I’ll have to check that out!
    You may be interested in training with Cecil Burch of Immediate Action Combatives on September 8th and 9th in Terre Haute. Mr. Burch is affiliated with Craig Douglas of Shivworks, if you're aware of them.

Below is a post in the thread about last year's class that didn't fill. We are doing it again this year.

dagny99

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2023
    Indianapolis
    You may be interested in training with Cecil Burch of Immediate Action Combatives on September 8th and 9th in Terre Haute. Mr. Burch is affiliated with Craig Douglas of Shivworks, if you're aware of them.

Below is a post in the thread about last year's class that didn't fill. We are doing it again this year.

Thanks im checking that out now!

Catdad

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2023
    Greenwood
    I'm just looking for a good first timer class steeped in fundamentals for my wife and myself hopefully in central Indiana. I'm envious, and somewhat intimidated, by the buttload of training most of you are taking, but you gotta start somewhere. My wife was briefly in LE in the 90s on the Bloomington Police force. I've owned and shot numerous guns 20 years ago, buy just recently started owning, carrying, and shooting again. I've never had any training whatsoever and feel confident to say I have to start by 'unlearning' some things then building from the ground up. I am pretty serious about a desire to grow in knowledge and application but I need a good starting point if anyone has any suggestions. I would be up for private sessions for my wife and myself as well, and it seems it would be easy enough to vett a person with all of the people who input on here so that's an option too. It will surely be a few years until I can save up for something like Gunsite or Range Ready, but that is the ultimate goal. Any suggestions are appreciated.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    I'm just looking for a good first timer class steeped in fundamentals for my wife and myself hopefully in central Indiana. I'm envious, and somewhat intimidated, by the buttload of training most of you are taking, but you gotta start somewhere. My wife was briefly in LE in the 90s on the Bloomington Police force. I've owned and shot numerous guns 20 years ago, buy just recently started owning, carrying, and shooting again. I've never had any training whatsoever and feel confident to say I have to start by 'unlearning' some things then building from the ground up. I am pretty serious about a desire to grow in knowledge and application but I need a good starting point if anyone has any suggestions. I would be up for private sessions for my wife and myself as well, and it seems it would be easy enough to vett a person with all of the people who input on here so that's an option too. It will surely be a few years until I can save up for something like Gunsite or Range Ready, but that is the ultimate goal. Any suggestions are appreciated.
    Call Top Guns in Terre Haute we have 5 main instructors and do private lessons. The 5 instructors are a combination of FLETC. Or Illinois and Indiana LE academy instructor certified 3 of us are Range Master instructor certified and one is a Gunsite Instructor

The Private lessons can tailor it to both of you and can go quicker or slower depending on your comfort level.

Or with a class you’ll have a few other folks to see some of their questions so pros and cons to both.

acd1010

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    Coatesville
    I would look into Guardian Firearms Academy. http://www.guardianfa.com/site/. My wife and I took a class together there which was great.

Catdad

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2023
    Greenwood
    Thanks for the responses guys. At least I have a few vetted options now. Originally I was looking at Proteq, which is how I found THIS forum....a review posted for Proteq. I had also considered Guy Relfords, Tactical Firearms Training, but had no feedback to go on other than online reviews, they were just places I had heard about. Now I've got to make a decision and get this ball rolling.

ratames

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    Call Top Guns in Terre Haute we have 5 main instructors and do private lessons. The 5 instructors are a combination of FLETC. Or Illinois and Indiana LE academy instructor certified 3 of us are Range Master instructor certified and one is a Gunsite Instructor

The Private lessons can tailor it to both of you and can go quicker or slower depending on your comfort level.

Or with a class you’ll have a few other folks to see some of their questions so pros and cons to both.
    I would highly recommend Bud Lich and his The Shooting Institute team in the Bargersville area. You find them at https://shootinginstitute.com/ . Bud is a solid instructor and his teammates have a lot of military and law enforcement experience.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    From the bio the only thing listed was some NRA stuff. Any Range Master, Gunsite or MAG 40 etc?
    They may be great I don't know, but ya just because they are former/current LE or .mil doesn't mean they can teach or even shoot that well for that matter. Again, not saying anything negative about the mentioned group, just in general.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    They may be great I don't know, but ya just because they are former/current LE or .mil doesn't mean they can teach or even shoot that well for that matter. Again, not saying anything negative about the mentioned group, just in general.
    Why I look for a combination outside certain MIL/LE and NRA instructors. Especially if anything other than basic how does a gun work stuff. (like a lot of agency instructors aren’t instructors they are simple safety monitors and test administrators only) those that go on get Range Master or are Gunsite of have went to classes like Mas Ayoob, Spaulding, Weems, Bolke, Hearne the like. That’s tells me they are also a serious student which makes them a serious instructor in my book. But to just be an NRA and Agency I’ll do some more research.

ESPECIALLY if that’s all you got and your trying to advertise advance stuff (vehicles, CQB etc)

Last edited:

jlw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2018
    Georgia
    Context matters. Does the instructor's background and training support their material, and is that material valid for the client?

Certifications are part of the above equation, but they are not definitive.

ratames

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    From the bio the only thing listed was some NRA stuff. Any Range Master, Gunsite or MAG 40 etc?
    No, they focus on beginner level to mid-level training. Bud is a black belt Karate instructor as well and they teach a defensive mindset throughout their courses. And I'm not familiar with Mag 40 so I can't speak to that.

As I recall, the post I responded to was looking for entry level training so that was the basis of my recommendation. Bud and crew are very good at the basics to mid-level skill development, and helping folks feel comfortable around firearms. No one trainer is perfect for everyone.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    No, they focus on beginner level to mid-level training. Bud is a black belt Karate instructor as well and they teach a defensive mindset throughout their courses. And I'm not familiar with Mag 40 so I can't speak to that.

As I recall, the post I responded to was looking for entry level training so that was the basis of my recommendation. Bud and crew are very good at the basics to mid-level skill development, and helping folks feel comfortable around firearms. No one trainer is perfect for everyone.
    I am just asking because their listed Bio was somewhat vague unless it’s outdated.

The MAG 40 Mas Ayoob unless it’s changed name. Most instructors have a list of pretty relevant classes with vetted instructors or curriculum they have done. What I look for basic or not. that sort of shows they are as committed as I am.

Again they are probably good to go just what I look at so do a lot of others!

Top Bottom