What do you consider high mileage for vehicles?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    As has been said, it depends to a great degree on the make of the vehicle, then the model. But even uaw vehicles are getting better about longevity. Maintenance is critical no matter the vehicle, but some vehicles, with proper maintenance, the sky`s the limit on how long it will last. My 2009 Toyota Tacoma has 101,900K on it, and I really feel that it`s just now getting settled in well. Certainly, there will be the usual maintenance issues, normal wear and tear, but I really expect no major repair issues, and as of right now, expect this is the last vehicle I`ll ever buy for myself. If it doesn`t last for at least 500,000, I`ll be very let down.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    MY LORD!!!

Do you have to change the seat out after this much time or are they as robust as the rest of the machine?

Seat cushions get replaced about every 500,000 miles or when we complain enough. But these seats are on an airbag and have a shock on them. Not a bad ride.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I'm still in the 80's and 90's with my vehicles. They're closing in on 200K.

I wouldn't buy anything over 80-90K.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    I have found 2014-2016 trucks with over 100,000 miles. Some are still over $20k. I feel that's a little high, but I always considered anything over 100,000 miles high mileage.

I started the thread because maybe it's time for me to stop thinking that way.

Yes and no. I guess the way I think of it isn't so much that there's any particular mileage that's good or bad but a sliding scale and just one consideration. I'd rather have something with 100k miles that's in good shape than 30k miles that's been abused/neglected. Two trucks ago I purchased an old Toyota Pickup 22re north of 200k

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Isn't this thread more of a question of whether drivers are content with making a monthly payment for their transportation or not? That and how much of a monthly payment is acceptable or not?

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    As others have said, being able to get some info about the maintenance that has been done on a used vehicle as well as the general issues with a particular make/model are helpful (there are forums for about every vehicle out there I am guessing, with some having stronger and more mechanically minded owners than others).
    If previous owner doesn't have those records, often you can get a dealer to pull it with a VIN (for all maintenance done at dealerships) or the OEM sometimes makes this available via website, such as Toyota.com/owner where you can go and plug in a VIN and see dealer maintenance records.

If you don't see/get records, but the vehicle checks out and is in good shape, assume the maintenance was not done and just put in a plan to catch up on it and get to a known baseline on things like differential, transmission, transfer case fluid changes, etc. Also, I tend not to believe the maintenance intervals of OEMs completely, especially when they say such things as service is never needed when it comes to transmission fluid, etc. It can and should be changed anyway, regardless of the claims of never needing service, etc by the OEM.

Last edited:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I dunno, I bought a used civic and put 159,000 miles on it with minimal repairs. Then bought a used highlander and put 180,000 miles on it with minimal repairs. Then a used Sienna and put 140,000 miles on with minimal repairs.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Looking at + 100K vehicles you will often find that little if any maint. has been done.
    Look at the belt. Look at the plug wires. Look at the battery and posts. Look through the wheels at the rotors. Have someone move it or drive by you slowly and listen for squeaks/chirps and other out of place noises that could be brakes universals etc.
    Pull both the dipsticks. Oil clean. Trans fluid burnt and stinky. Look at the wipers. Yes, the wipers. If they are shredded that is a solid indicator of how bubba took care of the vehicle.
    Look at the fluid tanks. Especially the coolant tank. Is the fluid the proper color or a dark indicator of deeper issues.
    Look at the tires. Wear patterns. Is the front end in line. Tires worn weird/cupped etc. Have they been rotated. Look at the wheels deeply for brake dust.

Look under it. Rear end seal dry or wet. Same with trans and rear main seals.

This takes about 10 minutes total if you know what to look for.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm about to sell a mid-range mileage highlander with 203,000 miles :):

Advertising! Smart fellow here.

I'm hesitant to buy at 200K, but would certainly consider one priced to sell if I needed an additional local driver. Maybe a dedicated boat hauler/hunting vehicle?

I would rather see a clean Ford. NO AWD's of any make.

I would never argue with a real car guy like CM, but have made some pretty fair deals over the years on buba'd up cars with poor maintenance. If the car/truck make and model check out as not a lemon year, noticable money is to be saved from a seller's laziness.

Hillbilly audio, not seen a car wash for years, write your name in the under hood and door jamb dust, pet hair, let alone a bad interior. All areas that favor a better price for the buyer. Does that mean labor will be involved? Yes, it's planned.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    You guys are making it sound better to just [STRIKE]buy[/STRIKE] make payments on a newer vehicle rather than buy a vehicle with higher mileage :):

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Daughter just bought a '04 Toyota Sequoia with 140K. That thing runs and drives like it has 40K. I see not reason it can't go to 300K with minimal effort.

When looking at higher mileage or older vehicles, pay attention when driving around. Her Sequoia for example, how many older, rusted out ones do you see? I've not seen any. Look at craigslist, cars.com, eBay, etc. How many do you see over 200K? A lot.

There are vehicles out there that just last longer than others, with less effort on the part of their owners.

My Audi has 170K on it. I know people who have them with well over 250K. But it's a near constant battle to keep it on the road at this point. On the way to work this morning, the windshield wipers stopped working.:rolleyes:

If I had to pay someone to fix it every time it breaks, I'd be broke or hauling to the junkyard.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    LOL ok let me get something straight. I'm trying to get OUT of a car payment. I'm not wanting to get another one. I made this thread because I was curious what is considered a high mileage vehicle. At some point, I may have to get another vehicle, for me, and I'd prefer a truck. It will have to be something where I pay cash for.

I was just wondering at what mileage point do you stay away from.

I would LOVE to have a nice, newer, low mileage truck. But I do not want to pay a high payment for 5 years.

Top Bottom