What do you consider high mileage for vehicles?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    When it will no longer roll, it has too many miles to drive. That's our motto. We drive them till they literally cannot be driven anymore. I hate selling vehicles so we just tend to keep them until they are done. My 88 Chevy that I drive daily has just under 220K on it and is still going strong. We don't really know how many miles are on the hubby's '83 Chevy that he drives daily. The engine had been replaced prior to us getting it and I have no idea what is on the odometer or if it is accurate as I don't believe it was working when he bought it. That was the best $1200 ever spent.

I am selling my son's 99 Jimmy currently with almost 190K on it. I hate to sell it but he needs money for his trip. I've been driving it daily with signs on it to advertise, and hate that he wants to sell it. I know how hard it is going to be for him when he returns (if he ever does) to replace it for what I will get out of it. It was my car prior to selling it to him and always loved driving it. He drove it to Georgia last spring and then Niagra Falls and through Maine, New York and Boston before he left last August. I wouldn't hesitate to get in it and drive anywhere. I forget what the odometer even says because it still feels like I'm driving a fairly new car. If I hadn't bought something to replace it, I would be keeping it. Hubby says it is too new and has to go. :):

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    LOL ok let me get something straight. I'm trying to get OUT of a car payment. I'm not wanting to get another one. I made this thread because I was curious what is considered a high mileage vehicle. At some point, I may have to get another vehicle, for me, and I'd prefer a truck. It will have to be something where I pay cash for.

I was just wondering at what mileage point do you stay away from.

I would LOVE to have a nice, newer, low mileage truck. But I do not want to pay a high payment for 5 years.

If buying from an owner, I'm not sure I'd draw the line on mileage alone (sounds like most here are saying the same). It really depends on what has been done for maintenance, how many owners, how good of shape the vehicle is in, and your intended purpose and how much time you have to look.

The best time to find a great used vehicle is when you don't actually need it.

Buying from a dealer (which I would be more concerned with doing actually on a used vehicle than from a private owner) would be a completely different story.

RugerRog

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Indy
    If I were buying used, personally I would look for under 100k. My reasoning is I dont know how well someone has kept the vehicle maintained, and the higher the mileage the more that may need to be done.. What I consider high mileage > 175k

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    What someone else may shy away from may not be the same to you. Some people like to do some work on their vehicles if they can, others like to take them in to have anything done to them. Try to steer away from "Rebuilt" titles since you don't really know what you are getting, there is a reason why the price is ALWAYS lower on these- because there are a lot of unknowns. I've heard that pretty much all american made vehicles 2010 and newer are good vehicles these days, so you will just want to make sure proper maintenance was done. 100K miles, like you mentioned, isn't what it used to be. I had a 1997 Chevy Cavalier that I took good care of and it finally bit the dust at 360K. So doing your homework and finding which vehicles are good in the years that you are looking for and then making sure maintenance was done and you should be fine.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    You guys are making it sound better to just [STRIKE]buy[/STRIKE] make payments on a newer vehicle rather than buy a vehicle with higher mileage :):

Sometimes it can be. For what a transmission costs these days... You're always rolling the dice. You can tilt the odds by research and inspection, but you can't eliminate the risk.

When I needed a truck and didn't want a payment, I bought mid-70s. Not miles, 1970s. I've driven a bunch of 75-78 GMC pickups over the years. Easy to work on, parts are cheap, junk yards are full of parts.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    ...junk yards are full of parts.

Hell, my barn is full of parts for them.;)

We were cleaning up a little a few weeks ago and my wife asked, can we get rid of all this "junk"?

Junk?:n00b: Honey, that's not junk. It's a tilt steering column from square body Chevy, and a power steering pump, and a uncracked dash, and a instrument cluster with factory tach, and a AC unit, and a turbo 400 tranny, actually two turbo 400 trannys, and a 1972 350 with a 4 bolt main, and a...

Junk? I though after 23 years I had her trained a little better than that.:rolleyes:

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine

We were cleaning up a little a few weeks ago and my wife asked, can we get rid of all this "junk"?

Junk?:n00b: Honey, that's not junk. It's a tilt steering column from square body Chevy, and a power steering pump, and a uncracked dash, and a instrument cluster with factory tach, and a AC unit, and a turbo 400 tranny, actually two turbo 400 trannys, and a 1972 350 with a 4 bolt main, and a...

Junk? I though after 23 years I had her trained a little better than that.:rolleyes:

So your barn looks a lot like our garage? We seem to have "extra transmissions" on a shelf along with so many other things. I keep telling him he needs to label stuff so if he dies, I know what I am selling. I'd rather not just advertise it as parts for Hondas or Chevys. Knowing what year they fit would be helpful! LOL! At least, it is pretty organized other than what is thrown in boxes in the loft.

Our junk yard has crushed most of the older vehicles so those parts aren't that easy to get here.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Sometimes it can be. For what a transmission costs these days... You're always rolling the dice. You can tilt the odds by research and inspection, but you can't eliminate the risk.

When I needed a truck and didn't want a payment, I bought mid-70s. Not miles, 1970s. I've driven a bunch of 75-78 GMC pickups over the years. Easy to work on, parts are cheap, junk yards are full of parts.

I can get a new transmission for my Jeep at around $4k. Still cheaper than a new car!

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana

Hah I recently sold jeep parts on Craigslist. My house is too small to store a lot of junk.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles

If you have 2 turbo 400 transmission, you and I need to talk .....

Seriously .....

Top Bottom