• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    But if any of us expected to get in a gunfight I would bet we would all choose a rifle.

Yes, and I did. That said, I was jogging and had a pit bull announce his presence by jumping on me and biting my arm, releasing, then jumping at my face. I had my LCR in a fanny pack. I shot the dog in the chest with a PDX-1 .38+P and ended the attack. Neither experience changed what I carry or when I carry. I carry a full size pistol when possible, but I certainly don't regret having an LCR when jogging nor did I suddenly have the wish for something else. Know the limitations of what you carry, be good with what you carry, and remember software is much more important than hardware. Ideally you have an advantage in both, of course, but that's not always realistic or under your control.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Define compact?
    Agreed, this was needed before the conversation really got going.

I personally carry a smith and Wesson shield but I was referring to around the 4” barrel standard that most company’s use for the broad “compact” even though I definitely wouldn’t consider them the best carry options for size

And that clears it up, because the standard in my minds is exactly what you stated, though I don't agree with the statement about not being best carry option for size. They do demand a good holster and belt, but that's a must anyway, otherwise you end up with a problem while hanging out on the couch at IKEA waiting for your wife.

I have noticed on here before that a lot of the younger people consider the G19 class as a full size. They think of the subcompacts and micros as "compact". That is why I thought we needed that cleared up.

Yep, seeing that as well. My standard for sizes is Glock 17 full size, Glock 19 compact, Glock 26 subcompact, and the Glock 43/Shield as a micro, but I'm guessing the generation before mine (thinking CM here) consider the Government Model full size, with the Commander and Officer's models being the standards for the other sizes.

All that said, I'm not sure I can say what is the "best" compact pistol. Certainly based on the things I consider important (ability to share mags with the full size guns, as well as holsters and being part of a platform, availability of parts, and good availability of relatively low priced OEM magazines), the Glock 19 and the S&W M&P Compact 2.0 rate highly. The Glock has a simplicity of function and number of parts that makes it rank high for me, but the M&P Compact 2.0 while a bit more of a complex pistol, certainly achieves a high rating from me, and I just seem to shoot it better than the 19 these days.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have noticed on here before that a lot of the younger people consider the G19 class as a full size. They think of the subcompacts and micros as "compact". That is why I thought we needed that cleared up.

I have limited experience with Glocks, but if the G19 is the same size as a G22 then I would consider it to be full size. IMO anything with a 4" or larger barrel and a full size grip (without a need for an extension) makes it a full size. Now again just my opinion but anything roughly the size of a M&P shield/ XDs .45 as a compact and anything smaller such as an LC9 as subcompacts and then something like a LCP is a mouse gun. They all have their place and beat uses

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    The Glock 19 is still the industry standard of a “full sized” compact pistol. The new M&P 2.0 Compact is making inroads, but it’s still an M&P. The market is flooded with compact guns, some good, some ok, some are total prices of ****. A bone stock G19 is still the standard, despite what others may say.
    I have nothing to add to this. Hes right as usual

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I have limited experience with Glocks, but if the G19 is the same size as a G22 then I would consider it to be full size. IMO anything with a 4" or larger barrel and a full size grip (without a need for an extension) makes it a full size. Now again just my opinion but anything roughly the size of a M&P shield/ XDs .45 as a compact and anything smaller such as an LC9 as subcompacts and then something like a LCP is a mouse gun. They all have their place and beat uses
    The glock 22 is the full size .40 caliber pistol.
    It is the twin of the glock 17 which is the full size 9mm
    The glock 19 compact is a step down in 9mm (g23 is the .40)
    The glock 26 is the subcompact 9mm (g27 is the .40)
    And now you have the tiny glock 43 9mm single stack pistol.
    And even smaller the micro glock 42 .380 single stack pistol.
    As far as I know there are no offerings of .40 in the last 2 and never will be. I hope this helped

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    The glock 22 is the full size .40 caliber pistol.
    It is the twin of the glock 17 which is the full size 9mm
    The glock 19 compact is a step down in 9mm (g23 is the .40)
    The glock 26 is the subcompact 9mm (g27 is the .40)
    And now you have the tiny glock 43 9mm single stack pistol.
    And even smaller the micro glock 42 .380 single stack pistol.
    As far as I know there are no offerings of .40 in the last 2 and never will be. I hope this helped

Rock on! Thanks

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    Do you have a VP9 by any chance? If so, what are your thoughts of it?

I have rented the vp9 at the range and I will eventually have one...although first I'll probably pursue the P30.
    I love the ergonomics. It's definitely a striker fired pistol(vp9)no doubt. The trigger will need some breaking in but that's part of the fun. It's just easy to see the quality that goes into it (for a polymer semi auto pistol)

wizardfitz

Expert
    Rating - 95.7%
    22   1   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    franklin,in
    My daily carry is Glock 17 in an aliengear holster. With a untucked button up shirt. If I'm.in shorts I'll throw a Ruger lcr357 in a remora holster in by pocket

Last edited:

Lt Scott 14

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 18, 2018
    Porter County
    I agree about the G19 being a compact carry 9mm. I use mine as a CCW daily. I also own a G21, which can be a CCW, but requires a little more work to conceal. Untucked outer shirt, and a Tshirt with a waist holster do the job. Ok, lets also consider a S&W 442 as a pocket pistol as a cargo shorts carry. Summer heat usually allows one Glock, unless a quick run for milk or bread means the 442, and Crocs. Dress around the gun is my idea. Good luck.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Yes, it's really amazing. The G19 is the standard size compact handgun. Anything smaller falls into the realm of the belly gun. To each his/her own.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    IMHO, the best compact gun available today is probably the CZ P01. It's a solid, reliable compact carry gun that can go from the holster to the nightstand duty by clipping a light on to it. The capacity can go from 14+1 with standard mags to 16+1 with nicely fit extended mags that give it the same feel as a full sized gun. There are 18 round mags available that work as well. There are a lot of sight and grip options available to allow it to be tailored to a specific shooters needs. The aluminum frame makes it light for carry, yet it shoots like a heavier gun. Stock, the trigger is a bit gritty but that smooths itself out as the round count rises. For the impatient, CGW has enough parts available to make the P01 trigger one of the best out there.

A runner up, and the one I carry now days myself, would be a Glock 23. It's hard to beat the combination of caliber, capacity and concealability. The trigger is good enough and with a bit of Dremel work to relieve the bottom of the trigger guard, the ergos are pretty good too. Another plus to the G23 is availability. With the rising popularity of the 9mm, police trade in G23s can be found regularly for well under $400. Two local shops have nice ones for $349 right now.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    If we're saying a G19 is "compact" then I have several favorites. I'd have a G19 myself if it fit me a little better. "Best" is pretty subjective. All the ones below have their good and bad.
    Steyr M9A1
    H&K VP9
    Walther PPQ

Top Bottom