• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I have rented the vp9 at the range and I will eventually have one...although first I'll probably pursue the P30.
    I love the ergonomics. It's definitely a striker fired pistol(vp9)no doubt. The trigger will need some breaking in but that's part of the fun. It's just easy to see the quality that goes into it (for a polymer semi auto pistol)

The VP9 is my only striker-fired pistol. Unbelievably accurate.

I pulled it out the other day after not shooting it in a few months, first round was dead center bullseye at 15 yards. I know that is no big deal, but it was surprising nonetheless. I had just changed the trigger spring, and did not install it correctly, so the trigger did not reset on its own (I had to pull it back out to reset it.) That was my only shot of the day needless to say! But what a shot!

Now that it is running properly with the spring installed correctly, I need to get it back out again and see what it can do.

DustyMck

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2018
    Borden
    I loved my steyr M9A1 but eventually I had to sell it due to its similarities to the equivalent glock and my lack of money to keep both. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who wants something different.

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    If we're saying a G19 is "compact" then I have several favorites. I'd have a G19 myself if it fit me a little better. "Best" is pretty subjective. All the ones below have their good and bad.
    Steyr M9A1
    H&K VP9
    Walther PPQ

I can't speak to the M9A1 (but I do like the L9A1, so I'm sure it is good to go :) ), but the VP9 and PPQ are very nice and you aren't likely (at least with the PPQ M1) to accidentally drop your mag or find it partially ejected due to pressure on the release button. That said, you'd need to train with the paddle release to make sure you're comfortable and proficient with it.

I really like my P320c, but, after getting the PPQ M1, I was seriously considering getting a new holster and switching to the Walther due to it handling better in my hands. At that point, it is up to you to see what feels better and what you shoot better.

If you want to go a little smaller, the P365 is nice. Carrying 10 or 12 rounds per mag in something that can be carried in a pocket is nice. Definite upgrade from the LCP II that previously had pocket duty.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    There are 3 compacts I really like right now
    MP 2.0 Compact, glock 32, and CZ P10. I own the first two and the each get at least 25 rounds a week. I am thinking about getting a p10 so that I can have a 9mm compact, but it's just not necessary with my current carry.

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    There are 3 compacts I really like right now
    MP 2.0 Compact, glock 32, and CZ P10. I own the first two and the each get at least 25 rounds a week. I am thinking about getting a p10 so that I can have a 9mm compact, but it's just not necessary with my current carry.

I don't know how wide spread a problem it actually is, but I was actively looking for a CZ P10c until I started seeing various sources having the same issue with the slide not fully returning due to a part being slightly out of alignment and stopping it just short of being fully in battery (as in, it looked like it was, but the trigger wouldn't pull). Then again, according to the internet, I should probably have a dozen or so holes in me from my P320 by now, so who knows.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I don't know how wide spread a problem it actually is, but I was actively looking for a CZ P10c until I started seeing various sources having the same issue with the slide not fully returning due to a part being slightly out of alignment and stopping it just short of being fully in battery (as in, it looked like it was, but the trigger wouldn't pull). Then again, according to the internet, I should probably have a dozen or so holes in me from my P320 by now, so who knows.

The initial post on this was from Omaha outdoors, on a pistol they cerakoted and "omaha'd" it before testing. They quickly and conveniently made a stock one fail only after getting hammered for testing a cerakoted pistol. There are a others that claim it but, Instructor zero sure seems to like his and that is generally good enough for me lol. I've personally shot 4 different p10c's and have not seen the problem surface at different ranges while traveling for work, and none of the abused rentals had issues. Idk, I may have rose colored glasses towards cz's...

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    I carry a Glock 23 and bought a second one. I will soon carry a Glock 30sf. I bought one a year and a half ago and thought sure I could find an extension to fit my hands and finally found one just right and bought a second one. I also like a Sig P229.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    The initial post on this was from Omaha outdoors, on a pistol they cerakoted and "omaha'd" it before testing. They quickly and conveniently made a stock one fail only after getting hammered for testing a cerakoted pistol. There are a others that claim it but, Instructor zero sure seems to like his and that is generally good enough for me lol. I've personally shot 4 different p10c's and have not seen the problem surface at different ranges while traveling for work, and none of the abused rentals had issues. Idk, I may have rose colored glasses towards cz's...

There's at least one report of the issue with an early P10C model recently as well, I think it was 88E30M50 who reported it.

Ozo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2018
    Nashville
    I am new on INGO, but I am not 'new'. I still have my G1 1911 from 1963.
    You [OP] asked about 'best compact handgun' , not pistols specifically, although you only mentioned pistols,
    so my input may not be of any value. I have owned/carried/etc. many semi-autos, and still do,
    but truthfully, I am a huge revolver lover. My most common EDC is a S&W M632 or a Ruger SP-101.
    I do carry quite a few other longer and larger 'handguns' for no reason(s) other than personal choice for the day.
    Some may seem oddly large for concealing, such as a Ruger Blackhawk, Redhawk, DW, S&W, etc. with barrel
    lengths up to 8", but they are usually carried in a Roscoe holster, even with shorts and a t-shirt,
    and I wear a Roscoe often with my smaller frames as well. I like the comfort the holster allows, especially
    getting in/out of vehicles, on/off tractors/mowers/atv (although they are fitted with scabbards for rifles).
    I have been reloading since the '60's , and each new firearm gets an accuracy load built for it, then it receives
    100's of rounds to bond with me. I am not sure how it would equate to folks that use shelf ammo, I can't even imagine.
    My method(s) are a result of my family surroundings [reloading for accuracy-then practice practice practice]
    I have been schooled by many that a revolver just doesn't have the capacity to defend as well as a pistol
    with a double-stack magazine, or I can't reload the 'wheel' as fast. On paper that may be true. In reality, not in the movies,
    I don't see myself involved in a 'Scarface'(movie) situation when simply going to ALDI to shop, or going to a restaurant.
    Murphy's Law has it's own reality to a degree, but my belief is this: If you have/carry a firearm for personal protection,
    and need to use it, the best one is ultimately the one you are the most proficient with, trust to work 100%, for the FIRST
    shot you fire from it. All other discussion(s) come beyond that point......round capacity, regain target acquisition (recoil, grip size,
    sights, etc.), how fast can you recharge with ammo, even what amount of 'cover' you have for protection, or if you have loved ones
    with you......if you ever get in a situation that you need to pull the trigger ONCE, that shot needs to be the most important.
    If you are military, and have been in live combat, even deep training priors, you know the adrenaline factor.
    If you have never been in that situation, you can not even imagine it.
    I never recommend any specific handgun for self defense. I do recommend that anyone looking for the best self-defense carry
    firearm make every opportunity possible to shoot every configuration they can. You may really surprise yourself with what you
    really are the most comfortable with, and it is important to know.
    Your opinion for choice may be a hundred youTube videos, it may be your peers [spouse, friends, uncle, Dad, etc.],
    but the truth is, you won't know....until YOU know. I have seen it so many times. You may say this is a rare situation,
    but let me tell you a story [I know, how long can you make a post....GEEEZ], and it is not an isolated one.
    A man brought his wife to my carry class, so she could get her permit. He picked her gun to qualify with, he knew best.
    She looked a bit nervous as we went through the 'legal' hoops of the class formalities, but it was normal to a degree.
    When it was time to go qualify [shoot], as we walked into the [indoor] range area, I asked her if she was ready...…
    She said she didn't like her gun [husband supplied], and apologized for IF she didn't pass . WHOA
    I asked her to breathe, try her best [her husband could not be on the range with her during qualification], and if she
    had any issues shooting, let me know, and assured her she will be fine if she relaxed. She had problems....
    at seven yards, to start off, and the same at 10 yds.....and the next three distances......but it was equally similar.
    She was embarrassed, asked if she could re-take the class, she would practice more.
    Did I mention she was petite, about 100lbs ?
    I brought her into the store lobby, counter, sales, where we have the rental guns hanging on the back wall,
    and asked her if she liked or knew any of those guns, [many of you know what I'm saying]
    She chose a couple of them to hold....then made a decision....that shocked even me.
    I briskly explained that she may be making a mistake, but I even felt encouraged.
    She chose a blued Ruger SBH .44mag . I explained best I could, she said it was her choice.
    I gave her some .44spcl ammo, explained why, she also wanted .44mag ammo
    She went back to her booth, understood the loading, fresh target, used the .44spcl first,
    shot her first two distances with it, then the magnum rounds.....48 total [TN specs]….
    and EVERY round counted with one flyer.
    I know this is a fookin' book, but it is reality, in our environment, when you ask what gun?
    The FIRST shot is the most important. Ask Carlos, ask Kyle, ask yourself.
    I do have her target pic in my archives, if you wish, but although she was maybe the most
    extreme case of from a .22lr to a .44mag , a semi-auto to a single action, she is not alone,
    and it is not gender-specific. You don't know, until YOU know.
    Did I mention, my favorite EDC is a .327fedmag revolver ?

Ozo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2018
    Nashville
    Thank you TTP [Tyler]
    I never meant to fill up the 'server'
    And I 'claim' old fart syndrome if it bothered anyone.
    God bless, don't regress, possess, and success.
    Life will end up as dirt, let's hope our time here will make good compost, eh ?

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    I am new on INGO, but I am not 'new'. I still have my G1 1911 from 1963.
    You [OP] asked about 'best compact handgun' , not pistols specifically, although you only mentioned pistols,
    so my input may not be of any value. I have owned/carried/etc. many semi-autos, and still do,
    but truthfully, I am a huge revolver lover. My most common EDC is a S&W M632 or a Ruger SP-101.
    I do carry quite a few other longer and larger 'handguns' for no reason(s) other than personal choice for the day.
    Some may seem oddly large for concealing, such as a Ruger Blackhawk, Redhawk, DW, S&W, etc. with barrel
    lengths up to 8", but they are usually carried in a Roscoe holster, even with shorts and a t-shirt,
    and I wear a Roscoe often with my smaller frames as well. I like the comfort the holster allows, especially
    getting in/out of vehicles, on/off tractors/mowers/atv (although they are fitted with scabbards for rifles).
    I have been reloading since the '60's , and each new firearm gets an accuracy load built for it, then it receives
    100's of rounds to bond with me. I am not sure how it would equate to folks that use shelf ammo, I can't even imagine.
    My method(s) are a result of my family surroundings [reloading for accuracy-then practice practice practice]
    I have been schooled by many that a revolver just doesn't have the capacity to defend as well as a pistol
    with a double-stack magazine, or I can't reload the 'wheel' as fast. On paper that may be true. In reality, not in the movies,
    I don't see myself involved in a 'Scarface'(movie) situation when simply going to ALDI to shop, or going to a restaurant.
    Murphy's Law has it's own reality to a degree, but my belief is this: If you have/carry a firearm for personal protection,
    and need to use it, the best one is ultimately the one you are the most proficient with, trust to work 100%, for the FIRST
    shot you fire from it. All other discussion(s) come beyond that point......round capacity, regain target acquisition (recoil, grip size,
    sights, etc.), how fast can you recharge with ammo, even what amount of 'cover' you have for protection, or if you have loved ones
    with you......if you ever get in a situation that you need to pull the trigger ONCE, that shot needs to be the most important.
    If you are military, and have been in live combat, even deep training priors, you know the adrenaline factor.
    If you have never been in that situation, you can not even imagine it.
    I never recommend any specific handgun for self defense. I do recommend that anyone looking for the best self-defense carry
    firearm make every opportunity possible to shoot every configuration they can. You may really surprise yourself with what you
    really are the most comfortable with, and it is important to know.
    Your opinion for choice may be a hundred youTube videos, it may be your peers [spouse, friends, uncle, Dad, etc.],
    but the truth is, you won't know....until YOU know. I have seen it so many times. You may say this is a rare situation,
    but let me tell you a story [I know, how long can you make a post....GEEEZ], and it is not an isolated one.
    A man brought his wife to my carry class, so she could get her permit. He picked her gun to qualify with, he knew best.
    She looked a bit nervous as we went through the 'legal' hoops of the class formalities, but it was normal to a degree.
    When it was time to go qualify [shoot], as we walked into the [indoor] range area, I asked her if she was ready...…
    She said she didn't like her gun [husband supplied], and apologized for IF she didn't pass . WHOA
    I asked her to breathe, try her best [her husband could not be on the range with her during qualification], and if she
    had any issues shooting, let me know, and assured her she will be fine if she relaxed. She had problems....
    at seven yards, to start off, and the same at 10 yds.....and the next three distances......but it was equally similar.
    She was embarrassed, asked if she could re-take the class, she would practice more.
    Did I mention she was petite, about 100lbs ?
    I brought her into the store lobby, counter, sales, where we have the rental guns hanging on the back wall,
    and asked her if she liked or knew any of those guns, [many of you know what I'm saying]
    She chose a couple of them to hold....then made a decision....that shocked even me.
    I briskly explained that she may be making a mistake, but I even felt encouraged.
    She chose a blued Ruger SBH .44mag . I explained best I could, she said it was her choice.
    I gave her some .44spcl ammo, explained why, she also wanted .44mag ammo
    She went back to her booth, understood the loading, fresh target, used the .44spcl first,
    shot her first two distances with it, then the magnum rounds.....48 total [TN specs]….
    and EVERY round counted with one flyer.
    I know this is a fookin' book, but it is reality, in our environment, when you ask what gun?
    The FIRST shot is the most important. Ask Carlos, ask Kyle, ask yourself.
    I do have her target pic in my archives, if you wish, but although she was maybe the most
    extreme case of from a .22lr to a .44mag , a semi-auto to a single action, she is not alone,
    and it is not gender-specific. You don't know, until YOU know.
    Did I mention, my favorite EDC is a .327fedmag revolver ?

Welcome to INGO. ​You can't combine 50 quality posts into one just to get to the classifieds.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Thank you TTP [Tyler]
    I never meant to fill up the 'server'
    And I 'claim' old fart syndrome if it bothered anyone.
    God bless, don't regress, possess, and success.
    Life will end up as dirt, let's hope our time here will make good compost, eh ?
    Welcome to the group. We have a mix of people here. Some will say something just joshing you, but since you don't know them yet, you might not realize it and take it the wrong way.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    FNS-9, Taurus 709 Slim, Colt Mustang. These cover every situation for me from OC to deep concealment. I can cover my groups with my open hand at 10 yards. These also work every time.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    FNS-9, Taurus 709 Slim, Colt Mustang. These cover every situation for me from OC to deep concealment. I can cover my groups with my open hand at 10 yards. These also work every time.

1. Interesting. I have or have had all those guns in the past year.
    2. The Taurus 709 Slim was sent back to the factory and never got it back (store refunded my money, though).
    3. The Colt Mustang I tried to make myself like (mine was the old 5 shot w/o a pinky extension), but never did and after 30 yrs. finally sold it (kept it b/c of the name Colt, but for a .380, I found the Smith Bodyguard I liked better until I tried the Glock 42.
    4. The FNS I bought off a member here last Spring and love: best gun I've ever had, but the CZ 75 B Omega is going to crowd that out, I believe.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Best? I don't know. For me, it's the CZ P-07 for reliability, ergonomics, and accuracy and a very reasonable price.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne

1. Interesting. I have or have had all those guns in the past year.
    2. The Taurus 709 Slim was sent back to the factory and never got it back (store refunded my money, though).
    3. The Colt Mustang I tried to make myself like (mine was the old 5 shot w/o a pinky extension), but never did and after 30 yrs. finally sold it (kept it b/c of the name Colt, but for a .380, I found the Smith Bodyguard I liked better until I tried the Glock 42.
    4. The FNS I bought off a member here last Spring and love: best gun I've ever had, but the CZ 75 B Omega is going to crowd that out, I believe.

I understand folks have different experiences and different results from identical firearms. FYI:

1. My 709 has been perfect and flawless since I had it serviced after purchasing it from a fellow INGOer. Over 700 rounds through it. Accurate and reliable. Your results may vary, but mine has been flawless. Taurus has had some production and performance problems. I have a Gen 1 709. This model has not experienced the troubles of the Gen 2.
    2. My new Colt Mustang, with all metal frame, has also performed flawlessly. The six-round mag does not have a pinky extension, and I have not needed one. Since it fires the .380ACP I can manage it just fine without the extension. As I said above, I can cover my groups with my open hand at 10 yards. I have examined the Glock 42, and prefer the Colt. The lack of the external safety is a key reason why I sold off my Glocks.
    3. I saw the FNS you purchased when it was offered in the classifieds here. It is a good weapon. Mine is identical, except I think (?) yours was two-toned while mine is all black. It is comparable to the Glock 19. It is my preferred EDC at present. When I find something that works, I stay with it. I do not keep searching for something better—which is a never-ending search as there is always something new and improved to attract the unstable mind.

These pieces cover every situation I experience. I recommend these firearms based on my personal experience. Again, YMMV. :buddies:

Top Bottom