• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I understand folks have different experiences and different results from identical firearms. FYI:
    1. My 709 has been perfect and flawless since I had it serviced after purchasing it from a fellow INGOer. Over 700 rounds through it. Accurate and reliable. Your results may vary, but mine has been flawless. Taurus has had some production and performance problems. I have a Gen 1 709. This model has not experienced the troubles of the Gen 2.
    2. My new Colt Mustang, with all metal frame, has also performed flawlessly. The six-round mag does not have a pinky extension, and I have not needed one. Since it fires the .380ACP I can manage it just fine without the extension. As I said above, I can cover my groups with my open hand at 10 yards. I have examined the Glock 42, and prefer the Colt. The lack of the external safety is a key reason why I sold off my Glocks.
    3. I saw the FNS you purchased when it was offered in the classifieds here. It is a good weapon. Mine is identical, except I think (?) yours was two-toned while mine is all black. It is comparable to the Glock 19. It is my preferred EDC at present. When I find something that works, I stay with it. I do not keep searching for something better—which is a never-ending search as there is always something new and improved to attract the unstable mind.
    These pieces cover every situation I experience. I recommend these firearms based on my personal experience. Again, YMMV. :buddies:

1. I did have the two-tone (Bronze) and it was traded off, but I still have the FNS Longslide, and will be testing it AGAIN at the range today against my Omega, Glock 26 and Ruger P89 (the last one just for fun), but the FNS and Omega are fighting for their placement is my safe or someone else's.
    2. Totally agree about the safety: I want one, and it is a concern to me for the guns that don't have one, or even a decocker, especially when they don't have a long 1st double action pull (like my Smith Bodyguard .380) as an example.

greed

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    I have and carry both a G19 and M&Pc 9. They are both favors though I like shooting the G19 more (after installing a magwell). For deaper concelementI also have a Khar PM9. The PM9 is a great little gun, but I hate the trigger. It is very heavy and the trigger reset is all they way out. I am sure they do this given it is a "pocket" gun, but I always carry it in a pocket holster so I wish it had a better trigger. I have heard the Sig938 is a great little gun, but I have only dry fired it. What ever you want to get I highly recomend finding a friend or gunshop with one you can borrow. Shoot it a few times. If you can borrow it to carry for a week that would be even better.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    There's at least one report of the issue with an early P10C model recently as well, I think it was 88E30M50 who reported it.

Yup. One of my P10Cs is a very early production and right at the 2990 round point, I had a hard stoppage due to the striker rotating in the channel. I cleaned, lubed and tried again and started to get issues with the rear slide cover dropping and preventing it going into battery. Both of those issues have been corrected in the current production pistols. I still have not sent mine off for warranty repair work, but will be doing so within the week.

guinnb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2018
    Columbus
    Had my G19 since ‘97. Still ultra reliable and shoots about any ammo...even with the Wolf barrel I installed. Still, after shooting an XDM I think I’d consider a Springfield XDM 9mm compact. If they are near the full size in accuracy and triggers it would be a great option.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    My Glock 19 is my edc. Cheap, reliable, perfect size imo. And you don’t mind getting battle scars from every day life on a Glock. Gives it character :D

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    I personally carry a smith and Wesson shield but I was referring to around the 4” barrel standard that most company’s use for the broad “compact” even though I definitely wouldn’t consider them the best carry options for size
    I love the shield!

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    The best compact handgun is the one that you feel comfortable carrying (physically and mentally). And one that you have proven to be reliable. This can be very different between different people. What is best for someone else could also be best for you, but perhaps not. Some people may only want a pistol with a hammer, some could be the exact opposite, and for others it doesn't matter. If you love carrying the shield and no one else here in this forum agreed with you then don't let that change your mind. But, again, I love the shield.

...have you ever tried a CZ?
    :)

tsalazar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    NWI
    I'm sure it's not the "best out there", but a S&W Shield in 9mm works well for my edc. Conceals very well, and it's an accurate lil pistol. Only issue i really have with it is the trigger. Throw in an apex, some trijicons and your set.

In the end, it always depends on what feels best for you.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    I have officially moved from the full-sized M&P to a M&P Compact for my primary EDC. There is not a huge difference in size, but enough of a difference where it counts beneath a shirt, and it is a bit more comfortable when seated in a car. What makes it the "best" compact for me is that I shoot it every bit was well as my full-sized pistols, which means that there is no down side to down-sizing... Who could ask for more?

When it comes to the perfect compact, I have now seen the light!

y5f7Z7rl.jpg

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    Springfield Armory XDS mod 2 .45. I have not yet handled one, however, it appears to be a viable choice. I prefer my Colt Officer's ACP.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    What about the Sig 320? Seems big for a compact, but is very accurate.
    The compact does seem big for a compact... The subcompact with small grip frame is pretty good for carrying but now you are cutting the rounds carried some more. It is sort of like the H&K VP9sk. Really nice little pistol but it is pretty big for a subcompact without a lot of rounds on board.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    There sure are a lot of contenders for best compact pistol available today. It is a good time to be an American gun owner.

My favorite compact pistols are any CZ 75 be compact pistol, the CZ P07, the Glock 30 and the Glock 23. Any of those would serve someone well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jb1911

Expert
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Dyer, IN
    My favorites are the CZ 75D PCR and the Gen 5 G19.
    I went with my favorites that the manufacturers call "compact".

M60A2

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 20, 2017
    Indianapolis
    First post!

Personally, I love my SIG P-250 in 9mm. It's accurate, has tritium sights, eats anything I feed it and I've never had a single stoppage.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Anyone have the new SIG P365? More of a sub-compact category. Close to the G43 and/or Shield.

1. Bought one a few weeks ago and it is so accurate I just can't believe it (compared to other small 9s, and some not so small). I shot a friend's and knew I had to have one (he'd put 900 rounds through his), but you have to get a 12 round mag: 10 round flat mag won't get it done.
    2. I immediately sold my Shield 9 that I loved and had for over a year (a lifetime for me).
    3. Hated the Glock 43, bought and sold it in a week.
    4. I have rented at the range and owned many small (and not so small) 9mm, and the Shield was my favorite small CC: till the Sig 365.
    5. I love my Glock 26, but the Sig is more accurate in my hands: surprised me, too!

Top Bottom