• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • infidel15

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2012
    what do you think is the best home defense weapon? I think it is a AR-15 with an 11.5 inch barrel and collapsible stock. Give me your thoughts.:ar15::popcorn:

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    No doubt in my mind: a short barreled pump action shotgun. 12 or 20 guage for man or woman. It'll say Hello to any and all bad boys that come a knockin'

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Assuming you're referencing a weapon for home defense, it is undoubtedly a defensive shotgun. Not so much worry of over penetration and with the right ammo choice it is certainly going to stop the BG when hit much more effectively than a general shot from a pistol.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    The thing to keep in mind about using an AR style of weapon is, that you must be aware of not only what you're aiming at, but what is beyong your intended target MUCH more so than if you were using a shotgun. For an in the home scenario, this is not the best choice simply because you have family in other rooms and neighbors.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    The thing to keep in mind about using an AR style of weapon is, that you must be aware of not only what you're aiming at, but what is beyong your intended target MUCH more so than if you were using a shotgun. For an in the home scenario, this is not the best choice simply because you have family in other rooms and neighbors.

A 55 grain projectile travelling at 3150 fps is much more likely to fragment than a shotgun slug.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    This has been a very popular subject this last week on INGO. I still believe the shotgun is the best choice for either a novice or a well rounded gun enthusiast.

Why rehash the pros of a shotgun over and over? Most of us are well aware of the advantages of the shotgun.

Instead someone try to convince me why the AR is a better choice for home self defense.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    what do you think is the best home defense weapon? I think it is a AR-15 with an 11.5 inch barrel and collapsible stock. Give me your thoughts.

Ummm, anything that I have to pull a lanyard on.

It doesn't matter. Remember, with guns the subjective is objective.

Your question needs a phrase added, "for you"?

Everyone has different needs--physical, environmental, etc. Think of guns as handtools.

How would you answer the question, "what is the best hand tool?" Would your response not be "well, what do you want to do?" Drive a nail? Saw a board?

Be a student of weapons, not a particular weapon.

The gun does not matter, you do.:)

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    A 55 grain projectile travelling at 3150 fps is much more likely to fragment than a shotgun slug.
    depends on the round used, and IF it fragments...it still has the force to exit whereas the shotgun rounds don't have enough velocity to keep going.....on an AR round it may or may not fragment, either way the round has enough velocity to keep moving, now whether it's in the BG or exits him and goes into another room or house is anybody's guess...I'd rather not have to think about liability issues and possibly shooting an innocent when protecting my home

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Ummm, anything that I have to pull a lanyard on.

It doesn't matter. Remember, with guns the subjective is objective.

Your question needs a phrase added, "for you"?

Everyone has different needs--physical, environmental, etc. Think of guns as handtools.

How would you answer the question, "what is the best hand tool?" Would your response not be "well, what do you want to do?" Drive a nail? Saw a board?

Be a student of weapons, not a particular weapon.

The gun does not matter, you do.:)

:yesway::yesway: well said

straid

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    I agree: Pump shotgun.
    Not so fast. This may not be true if the person lives in an apartment complex or a duplex or similar type of housing. Before buying a house, I kept standard handguns loaded with frangibles, to minimize the chance of over-penetration.

Shotguns are definitely one option (and a good one), but there are other considerations in picking self-defense weapons.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Not so fast. This may not be true if the person lives in an apartment complex or a duplex or similar type of housing. Before buying a house, I kept standard handguns loaded with frangibles, to minimize the chance of over-penetration.

Shotguns are definitely one option (and a good one), but there are other considerations in picking self-defense weapons.
    :scratch: even the frangible ammo in a handgun is going to penetrate further than a shotgun round

straid

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    :scratch: even the frangible ammo in a handgun is going to penetrate further than a shotgun round
    While I never tested shotguns, I did test frangibles on different types of wall samples. Some fared better than others, but most did a good job of causing it to break up.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    either way, a home defense situation you must always be aware of your trajectory because lets be honest...if a piece of drywall is going to stop your round (which I can put my fist through with ease) then that round certainly isn't going to penetrate very deep into the BG...

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Whats the best? Whatever you are comfortable and fluent with.

I dont care if you have a compact handgun, pump action shotgun, or AR... If you dont know what youre doing, its useless. Personally, I have a handgun, shotgun, and AR on hand... Most typically I would grab my Glock 23, as its easier to move with, and I shoot it the most, thus making me most comfortable with. At the same time Ive had my Mossy forever, and I know what it would do as well.

At the end of the day, use what youre good with. If you are most accurate with a handgun, then there is your answer. If you are comfortable with a shotgun, then thats the answer.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Whats the best? Whatever you are comfortable and fluent with.

I dont care if you have a compact handgun, pump action shotgun, or AR... If you dont know what youre doing, its useless. Personally, I have a handgun, shotgun, and AR on hand... Most typically I would grab my Glock 23, as its easier to move with, and I shoot it the most, thus making me most comfortable with. At the same time Ive had my Mossy forever, and I know what it would do as well.

At the end of the day, use what youre good with. If you are most accurate with a handgun, then there is your answer. If you are comfortable with a shotgun, then thats the answer.

Discount all the givens. Yes of course any weapon is useless if you cant use it. Yes the weapon that you can deploy the best is the best for you etc... Forget all the givens. Someone make a case for the magic AR platform that I have very little respect for. Make a case for the AR platform that unless you dump huge amounts of money to isn't even reliable being a better choice than a very effective shotgun that I can buy for under $400. Come on someone make a strong case for the AR, if not then please lets cease with these threads that really go no where.

Somebody make a strong case for the AR. :dunno:

drysdaleg

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    12gauge pump. anyone who comes through your door and hears that pump knows what that sound is. i got a mossberg 500 that i use for home defense.

Top Bottom