• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Discount all the givens. Yes of course any weapon is useless if you cant use it. Yes the weapon that you can deploy the best is the best for you etc... Forget all the givens. Someone make a case for the magic AR platform that I have very little respect for. Make a case for the AR platform that unless you dump huge amounts of money to isn't even reliable being a better choice than a very effective shotgun that I can buy for under $400. Come on someone make a strong case for the AR, if not then please lets cease with these threads that really go no where.

Somebody make a strong case for the AR. :dunno:

More maneuverable. Less recoil, faster follow up shots. Larger bullet capacity. Able to be shortened to make more maneuverable. Able to be suppressed.

DadOfFour

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I use a 12 gauge loaded w/ #7 shot. While I know allot of people prefer 00, I worry about over penetration in the house with the kids, the fact is that at in home ranges (figure less than 10-15ft) #7 shot will shred somebody pretty good.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    More maneuverable. Less recoil, faster follow up shots. Larger bullet capacity. Able to be shortened to make more maneuverable. Able to be suppressed.

Thank you.

Less recoil, I will give you that if we are talking a 12 gauge. Might be a factor for someone of slight build. But for an average man that has done even the slightest training with his shotgun I dont see this as much as a factor.

Faster follow up shots, yeap you get that one. But how important is that in this situation? Hopefully if I hit someone with 00 in a space of around 10 feet I'm not going to need to hit them again. But there may be more than one attacker. Could be a slight advantage for HD.

Larger bullet capacity. This is true but I really dont think I'm going to be in a situation in HD where I'm going to need more than 8 rounds of 00 to quell a situation. Unless Im attacked by an entire drug cartel all at once.

Able to be shortened can be interpreted as more maneuverability. Yes but I dont think there is that much advantage over a shotgun with the stock removed. In other words a shotgun set up for HD as in the picture below. If its that big a factor then I will opt for a pistol.

IMG_0262.jpg

Most of the points you bring up are more applicable to a combat situation.
    At home inside my house I am looking at distance of 10 to 12 feet max. All of the break ins in my area have been single person break ins. I wont discount there could be more than one intruder but I doubt there will be more than two. The shotgun is more than enough weapon to handle two intruders in a HD situation based on the points in this post. Just my opinion. :popcorn:

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    In my house, there's 30 feet from entry to bedroom. Back stop is a wall made of two layers of brick. I'm not a fan of pistol grip only shotguns, so that's not an option for me.

You missed the part about the ability of it being suppressed... ;)

Also, I'm not the only one who might be grabbing a gun. My wife prefers the AR because of recoil.

If someone is breaking in to my house, I'm not going to shoot once and ask them how bad it hurts. Multiple rounds will follow.

Oh yeah, someone breaking in to my house meets the definition of combat situation.

Last edited:

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    In my house, there's 30 feet from entry to bedroom. Back stop is a wall made of two layers of brick. I'm not a fan of pistol grip only shotguns, so that's not an option for me.

You missed the part about the ability of it being suppressed... ;)

Also, I'm not the only one who might be grabbing a gun. My wife prefers the AR because of recoil.

If someone is breaking in to my house, I'm not going to shoot once and ask them how bad it hurts. Multiple rounds will follow.

Oh yeah, someone breaking in to my house meets the definition of combat situation.

Good counterpoints. Yes I missed the part about being able to suppress the AR. If you have even had to fire a weapon in an enclosed space you know that being able to suppress a weapon would be very helpful.

handgun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Central part of This state
    I would have to say maybe an ar.. there is a small cult of people that have been growing with the ar m4 mind set and have been drilling themselves. Each to their own. Baseball bat and a pit bull because they scare people lol

dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    The thing to keep in mind about using an AR style of weapon is, that you must be aware of not only what you're aiming at, but what is beyong your intended target MUCH more so than if you were using a shotgun. For an in the home scenario, this is not the best choice simply because you have family in other rooms and neighbors.

With proper ammo selection this simply isn't true. Assuming your shotgun is loaded with a good SD round.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    If the unthinkable ever happens, I don't think I would be concentrating on recoil or suppression at that point. I'm going for the better chance of hitting and stopping intruder in an adrenaline racing situation. We all like to think we can't miss and shoot like movie stars but then again we can't stop the cameras for another take and our BG's shoot back with real bullets.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I use a 12 gauge loaded w/ #7 shot. While I know allot of people prefer 00, I worry about over penetration in the house with the kids, the fact is that at in home ranges (figure less than 10-15ft) #7 shot will shred somebody pretty good.

Bravo for being the first to talk ammo. 00 Buck and slugs penetrate easily through house walls. Bird shot isn't the choice for killing an intruder. Also, people think you don't have to aim with a shotgun. The spread at household distances is only a couple inches, at best, even with an open choke. The only advantage of a pistol grip shotty is the shortness. I've seen guys at the range with these and the accuracy is terrible under range conditions. Imagine it under stress. Aiming is horrible. I saw a guy almost punch himself in the face when trying to aim one down the sights. He gave up on that after one try. Hip shooting? Good luck with that.

I like the AR with a holographic sight and pressure switch light, if I know for sure it is a bad guy. With the Eotech, I can keep both eyes open and have the advantage of peripheral vision. (You could mount one on a shotgun, too, greatly improving accuracy, as well). I also have Hornady ammo for the AR that supposedly is frangible but deadly on people. Plus, there's a nice loud sound when racking the charging handle, that might cause the intruder to abort, much like the pump on a shotgun.

Ultimately, my first choice is a handgun. This is primarily because I have 9 children, most of them small. I carry a flashlight with my left hand and first identify the target before bringing up the weapon. I really don't want to sweep my sights across my own kids. This might cost me a little precious time, but I've practiced this, with a 2 hand hold, while still aiming the flashlight, and can shoot with reasonable accuracy. Penetration of walls remains a concern, however. One of the biggest advantages, though, is quick access to an under bed safe with electronic finger code that I can do in the dark.

Whatever you choose, you'd better be practicing. If you don't, you won't be as effective, no matter what weapon you choose. I have even done in the house night time walk through, knowing the kill zones vs the places and angles where penetration of walls puts my family at risk.

A well-practiced person with the lesser weapon will have a much better chance of success than someone with the ideal weapon who goes at it with little or no preparation. Pick one and prepare is my humble advice.

I frankly wouldn't want to be hit by any of them, even the #7 shot.

Last edited:

kjf48197

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 28, 2012
    Indy south side
    Yes a 12 gauge would do the trick. Anything high power might exit the house and hit something you don't want to hit, kids, neighbors, gas meter....I didn't really think of #7 shot but that would work fine.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    The only advantage of a pistol grip shotty is the shortness. I've seen guys at the range with these and the accuracy is terrible under range conditions. Imagine it under stress. Aiming is horrible. I saw a guy almost punch himself in the face when trying to aim one down the sights. He gave up on that after one try. Hip shooting? Good luck with that.

That is an excellent point about the pistol grip shotty being harder to handle. I agree, I also agree with your further statements about training. When I first started shooting from the hip with a shotgun with a stock I was terrible also. With training I became much better. I dont like shooting my 870 in the pic above with the stock folded. But if I had to use it on someone in my house I'm very sure of being able to do the job. Again we are back to givens. Its a given that the pistol grip shotty is harder to use than a shotgun with a stock. That is why its a given you train with it for its intended purpose. A given.

A well-practiced person with the lesser weapon will have a much better chance of success than someone with the ideal weapon who goes at it with little or no preparation. Pick one and prepare is my humble advice.

Absolutely, so start from the premiss that the person is going to train with the weapon. What can the weapon do.

I still am going to use my $300 shotgun setup for HD instead of investing a huge amount into a reliable AR platform. ;)

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    The best home defense weapon? Just call the police. When someone is trying to break into your home to rob, rape, or murder you and seconds count, the police are only minutes away. So, just try to not die before they get there.

Seriously now: shotgun.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    WTH would anybody engage the enemy with a firearm not ready to go?

Screw that "rack the shotgun" nonsense.

Something could go wrong in the cycling, so why announce your presence with that ruckus and possibly not get off a shot?

At least if you put one in the chamber and then verbally offer a warning there's a high chance your rig will at least be capable of one shot.

remman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    12 gauge shotgun with birdshot. More pellets than buckshot, plus it won't over penetrate through walls. And at the ranges you would be using it at, the shot still stays together and basically acts as a slug.

DadOfFour

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    WTH would anybody engage the enemy with a firearm not ready to go?

Screw that "rack the shotgun" nonsense.

Something could go wrong in the cycling, so why announce your presence with that ruckus and possibly not get off a shot?

At least if you put one in the chamber and then verbally offer a warning there's a high chance your rig will at least be capable of one shot.

I keep my 12 gauge w/o a round in the chamber because I have children in the house. Now, my kids know better than to mess with a gun, but, why tempt fate?

Top Bottom