What dumb stuff did YOU hear at the 1500?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • antdog/zook

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    This had to be the same exact guy who about ran over me 10 foot from the check in table asking if I was going to sell my carry gun as I'm re-holstering it.

I quickly replied $10,000.00 and your wife for 1 hour if she's good looking.

He gave me a :n00b: look for a sec while trying to compute as I walked away.
    thats awesome! guy in a crockadile-dundee-ish hat? i watched him sweat people for about 15 minutes, was very entertaining. saw him buy a lever gun.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Having worked several shows and worked at several dealers, the crap about dealers "only making <insert low percentage or dollar amount here>" is pure crap. I love alot of the guys I worked for but "only 10%" over cost is gibberish, closer to 20-30% depending on the gun. They do have costs to cover, but if they won't deal on used stuff, they won't be in business for long...

Crap I have heard at recent (though not this one) 1500:
    1. M855 is armor piercing.
    2. 1911s always jam, that is why the military dropped them.
    3. Primers go bad from age, despite storage conditions :noway: So get them now?!
    4. One guy claimed to be Seal during 'Nam, claiming to have carried a 10mm Elite during said time. I reminded him that gun came out MUCH later than the war. He retorted that he got it before anyone else. I shook my head, much to his rage.
    5. Magsafe, Glaser and other prefragmented are what the Secret Service carries and kills immediantly with an arm hit... (yuck...)

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    As a vendor (knives) that does close to 40 shows a year, I wish I would have kept a journal of all the stupid/funny things people have said over the years...I could have written a book and it just might have been a best seller in the humor section. :D This past weekend at the Indy 1500... I had a guy looking at a Zero Tolerance knife that used S30V steel for the blade. He said "this knife is too sharp" :rolleyes:

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    i heard a lot of dealers lying about how much they pay for their items. i heard one guy say he was only making $2 off a UTG laser. LMAO i almost went and got my UTG dealer price sheet and showed the guy that the dealer was actualy ripping him off and was making about $50. but i decided that if you are a stupid enough consumer that you dont do your research before you buy then you deserve what you get. most of the outragious prices you see at the 1500 sell. yep, the dealers will ususaly get the last laugh. some dealers dont care if it takes a couple years for that 1 sucker to come along and pay WAY too much, they will gladly haul it around and wait. when your a dealer theres nothing wrong with making profit, its business, just dont lie to your customers. id rather make only $5 per customer and have 100 repeat customers than to make $100 on a guy who will later find he got taken and then never come back, and then tell all his buddies to never buy from me either. I hook people up, I dont lie to them. i have no problem telling them, hey i buy this EMT pouch for $8 then i have shipping cost too and im selling it to you for $12 to cover my cost and make a couple bucks.

when i went to the INGO area, i saw some condor gear for sale at fair prices. i sell mine for less but the guys who were selling it were still giving a good deal. im sure they were INGO members because the INGO stickers were on the same table. So I was very happy to see they had fair prices for the consumers (especialy since they were representin) . GO INGO!!!!!

I totally agree. Honesty and repeat business is what its all about. You can still make money and being honest with a clear mind.

indoorsoccerfrea

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    I had someone try to tell me that all guns are fired once from the factory and the bullet is kept on file with the serial number so cops can find you, and that a good way around that was to file the inside of the barrel to change the "fingerprint". I than pointed out that there was no gun registration, and while guns oftentimes are test-fired, I highly doubt that the expended bullet is kept for those purposes. I also mentioned that filing the inside of the muzzle would severely effect accuracy and possibly make the gun unsafe...they wouldn't hear it.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    I had a dealer that had 2 Marlin 39's on his table tell me that my 1940 color case hardened, 39a was only worth $300 and that I should learn what guns are worth before I bring them to the show. I mean, if you don't like a guy's asking price, just say thanks and move on.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    5,000 fps 22 rimfire bullets....Guy says he is looking for more for his ruger 10-22.

For a standard rimfire bullet, what would be the psi in the barrel?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    Walking out, these old guys were smoking their lucky strikes and one said, "are you selling the colt 1911"

I said no, I just bought it and it's a springfield. He said no, the one on your hip.

Durr it was an FNP 45

Last edited:

longbarrel

Expert
    Rating - 91.7%
    22   2   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Central Indiana
    One of the things heard was, "and most importantly, for only $10 you can get your voice heard in Washington." Really? How many $10 does it take for my voice to be heard? Because I pay way more than that in taxes every year and I bet you not one person from Washington even knows my name. Also, heard a man trying to sell a blued Taurus Judge for $725,,, here's the real kicker.. It is like new. Not actually new, just like new.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    One of the things heard was, "and most importantly, for only $10 you can get your voice heard in Washington." Really? How many $10 does it take for my voice to be heard? Because I pay way more than that in taxes every year and I bet you not one person from Washington even knows my name. Also, heard a man trying to sell a blued Taurus Judge for $725,,, here's the real kicker.. It is like new. Not actually new, just like new.

I think they sell them at Don's for 719.99

Bubba

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    Not guns stupid but business stupid: I'm a n00b at reloading so I was wandering around the booths selling components trying to pick up some tips from the pros. I stopped at one vendor with a large display of projectiles and, while looking through his wares I mentioned that I'd done my research but, now that I was ready to buy, was a little overwhelmed by the various bullet options and how none of them exactly matched my reloading manual. I was hoping for some advice about choosing the right projectile, or at the minimum to learn what reloading manual contained data about his particular wares, but instead he just told me to go to the library and check out the ABC's of Reloading and then turned away. A fine book, to be sure, but the guy clearly didn't want to sell me anything. :noway:

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    lol the best i heard was ammo at walmart was all made in china. and the ammo that brass kings was selling wasn't. i said sir with all do respect i can get the exact same remington umc at walmart for 5-8 dollars less and the exact same winchester for at least 5 bucks a box cheaper. he said yeah but ours is made in america. lmao really is there a difference. either way he assured me that walmart wasn't going to have anymore ammo because the contracts were up so they wouldn't have anymore ammo so i should get it now. thanks lol

alwalker84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Wow @ some of these storys. I dont have any personally, but I do hate how everyone looks at me and my buddy like we're some unknowlegeble thugs looking for "clips" and usually shop at dons guns...(simply cause we're black)

slowmo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Indy area
    One of the few things I was looking for at the show was a mil-spec buffer tube so that I could put my new MagPul CTR stock on my AR. I stopped at the J&T Distributing booth because they seemed to have a lot of parts. I asked if they had a "mil-spec buffer tube". The gentleman reached in the drawer and handed me a buffer tube to look at. As I looked at it, he added that they were selling them for $35. I handed it back and said "No thanks and by the way that is a commercial tube, not mil-spec". To which he looked at me like I was a complete moron, and said "No, they are mil-spec." I said "No they are not, they have a slanted end and are a different diameter." He continued to talk to me like I was an idiot and said "Look, we make these our selves and they are mil-spec. They are slanted so they fit in the stock and against your shoulder." I asked "You do know there are two different types of buffer tubes?" He said "Yes". So, I just continued on my search for my mil-spec tube. You would think that these guys that specialize in and are assembling ARs would know the difference. I guess I should have just kept my mouth shut and walked away when he told me they were selling them for $35.

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    I was looking at some different red dot optics to put on my SKS. At the time I was holding one that I had considered mounting on the fore grip rail (Tapco T-6) when a vendor approached me saying that I wouldn't like it and that I needed to get the receiver cover with the rail built into it. I mentioned that when the gun is disassembled for cleaning, one will often lose the zero on their optics and that recoil itself may make it difficult to keep a zero with the optics mounted here (all of which I've learned through second hand experience on the SKS forums). Either way, the vendor proceeded to tell me that "cleaning a gun is the worst thing you can do to it, and that he himself has a Glock with 10,000 rounds through it and he's never cleaned it yet and I shouldn't be cleaning my guns either". He's also shot a lot of corrosive ammo through his SKS and hasn't cleaned it in 10 years and it's still in perfect condition. I'd just like to know how he knows that it's in perfect condition since he's never had it apart. He was really adamant that I should buy his receiver cover with rail built in though, lol.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Sin-city Tokyo
    Having worked several shows and worked at several dealers, the crap about dealers "only making <insert low percentage or dollar amount here>" is pure crap. I love alot of the guys I worked for but "only 10%" over cost is gibberish, closer to 20-30% depending on the gun. They do have costs to cover, but if they won't deal on used stuff, they won't be in business for long...

Crap I have heard at recent (though not this one) 1500:
    1. M855 is armor piercing.

Given that the M855 5.56 NATO round has a steel penetrator, I reckon the truth of this statement depends on the type of armor being fired at/discussed. I wouldn't volunteer to be the Level IIIA Kevlar body armor wearing guinea pig to prove the round's lack of soft body armor piercing capabilities. :ar15: :scared: = :stretcher:

Was the speaker/vendor proclaiming (:bs:-ing) that the M855 round will take out an Abrams tank?? :dunno: :laugh:

Top Bottom