What dumb stuff did YOU hear at the 1500?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I had my Sig P-250 "2SUM" that I was shopping around for a potential trade / sale.

Was talking a little with a few guys from one of Indiana's finest firearms retailers (seriously, they are)...but one of the dim bulbs in the employee pack.

Making small-talk about the P-250 "system", I made the comment to the effect of "well, the Air Marshals will be getting them soon, and in .357 Sig."

Ol' boy said "Well, they use that caliber because they want the bullet to bounce around a little inside the folks. They also use a light load so that it won't puncture the skin of the aircraft."

"Uh, no, sir, they use 125gr Speer Gold dots..."

I decided not to even waste breath on the whole bouncing around and puncturing aircraft skin stuff...

Guy really was as dumb as he looked...

*sigh*

-J-

imprimis5

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    Plainfield, IN
    I've not heard much in the way of dumb stuff at the 1500, but I generally don't talk much unless I'm asking a vendor a question. I have, however, heard some pretty dumb stuff from "gun people" who should know better. Such as, "Better keep that gun in your pants. If the police see that, you'll get arrested."

mrw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    I bet some were angry. Did you see the guy with the board strapped to his back with SEVERAL firearms zipped tied to it? He was walking around the show with that on AND pulling a cart with another board with some long guns zip tied to it! Must have had 20 guns in total.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    I bet some were angry. Did you see the guy with the board strapped to his back with SEVERAL firearms zipped tied to it? He was walking around the show with that on AND pulling a cart with another board with some long guns zip tied to it! Must have had 20 guns in total.
    I talked to that dude. He must've ditched the one on his back, because all he had when I spoke to him was a two-wheeler with a milk crate/board setup and about 6 guns zip tied to it.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I almost always take one or two to sell. this time it was three - two handguns and a rifle. I did feel a little self conscious with that many for sale. However, nothing negative happened, in fact more dealers than attendees made inquiries and 2 of the 3 sold or traded to dealers.

robbran144

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    southside/greenwood
    i saw one guy with a hand cannon with a scope strapped to the top of it,had a vendor ask him what caliber it was ( i think he said 44) had the barrell pointed right at the other guy sitting at the table while he was showing it to him

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    Can we PLEASE have a PSA about .45 ACP caliber? Please include tid-bits such as: Will NOT blow a man clean in half. Shooting one, even in a light weight gun will not blow you hand back up your arm and out your back. It is, in fact, like a 9mm set to "Do Something", or "Kill".

imprimis5

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    Plainfield, IN
    While not heard at the 1500, since I didn't go, that last post reminded me of how irritated I am of hearing that 9mm will "just make someone mad" at 15 yards.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Though I didn't hear anything funny, as I checked in my carry, a Kimber CDP II Pro, before I could get it back in my holster someone just about jumped on me and asked me if I was selling it.

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    While not heard at the 1500, since I didn't go, that last post reminded me of how irritated I am of hearing that 9mm will "just make someone mad" at 15 yards.

I am fully aware of the capabilities of the 9mm caliber. And none of that knowledge will stop me from making fun of people who shoot it. Also, none of that fun-making will keep me from recommending it to any shooter who asks.

I also make fun of my friend's AR because it's just a .22, while my SKS is a proper .3 caliber weapon. All in jest.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    i heard a lot of dealers lying about how much they pay for their items. i heard one guy say he was only making $2 off a UTG laser. LMAO i almost went and got my UTG dealer price sheet and showed the guy that the dealer was actualy ripping him off and was making about $50. but i decided that if you are a stupid enough consumer that you dont do your research before you buy then you deserve what you get. most of the outragious prices you see at the 1500 sell. yep, the dealers will ususaly get the last laugh. some dealers dont care if it takes a couple years for that 1 sucker to come along and pay WAY too much, they will gladly haul it around and wait. when your a dealer theres nothing wrong with making profit, its business, just dont lie to your customers. id rather make only $5 per customer and have 100 repeat customers than to make $100 on a guy who will later find he got taken and then never come back, and then tell all his buddies to never buy from me either. I hook people up, I dont lie to them. i have no problem telling them, hey i buy this EMT pouch for $8 then i have shipping cost too and im selling it to you for $12 to cover my cost and make a couple bucks.

when i went to the INGO area, i saw some condor gear for sale at fair prices. i sell mine for less but the guys who were selling it were still giving a good deal. im sure they were INGO members because the INGO stickers were on the same table. So I was very happy to see they had fair prices for the consumers (especialy since they were representin) . GO INGO!!!!!

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    A few 1500s ago I was browsing an ammo dealer's table when an employee came up and asked what I was looking for. I told him I was looking for SD 9mm rounds. He came over with a tiny 25 year old box of Black Talons priced at something retarded like $75 and told me I wanted them because they are the "original cop killer". I gave him a dirty look and walked away.

I currently use Winchester Ranger Ts... the last thing we need are 'tards walking around repeating the anti-gun rhetoric as if it were cool.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Though I didn't hear anything funny, as I checked in my carry, a Kimber CDP II Pro, before I could get it back in my holster someone just about jumped on me and asked me if I was selling it.

This had to be the same exact guy who about ran over me 10 foot from the check in table asking if I was going to sell my carry gun as I'm re-holstering it.

I quickly replied $10,000.00 and your wife for 1 hour if she's good looking.

He gave me a :n00b: look for a sec while trying to compute as I walked away.

g.mccormick

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    New Whiteland
    I heard one vendor that was showing a pistol with an accessory rail to someone that the rail was for grenade launcher or light attachment. He said most people use a light, but it was designed for a grenade launcher.

I didn't get a look at what the pistol was, just chuckled to my self and kept walking.

Top Bottom