• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Acquired the 2nd switch panel for the generators. I now have 2 manual changeover panels to put the drops on both houses here at the compound. Permanent receptacles wired to the breaker panels. Have to get the SOOW power cables and 1 more plug. Lowes/Home Depot do not carry what I need so a trip to the electric supply house is on the list.
    We are doing a panel upgrade in the daughters house next door from 100 to a 200A and I will wire the genny control box in at that time.
    Doing my house is going to be a bit of a job but it is going to be worth the effort if we ever have to actually use the genny's.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Not a great day for shooting Saturday so I stayed inside and sanitized/refreshed my 30 day water storage. The whole house smelled like chlorine.

Just a PSA: Different brands of bleach use different concentrations of sodium hypochlorite. I had a bottle of Great Value at 2.75% and when I looked at the Clorox it was 8.25% or something like that. Just a suggestion to check the label, I didn't know there was such a big difference.
    I have some gallon jugs of store bought water on the shelf. The rest of my stuff is just out of the tap. I do not add anything to it until I have to use it. Most of it is used for flushing or other things where you don't need the sanitized version. Save your time and the smell by just waiting until needed. Keep it out of direct sunlight and in a cool place and you should have no worries.

Just the opinions of people I have talked with over the years.

If they even list the concentration. I found that many generic brands dont even bother telling you how much active ingredient is in the bottle.

A few years back I bought a box of sodium hypochlorite. I can mix up my own bleach with no shelf life problems. One problem I had was putting it in small plastic bottles that I sealed. Turns out there was a chemical reaction of some sort and both bottles popped. One was in a bug out bag. The other was on a shelf in my den.

Popped so loud I thought something actually blew up.

I keep the stuff in the bag in a box that it was shipped in now. Bought like 10 pounds of the stuff. such a small amount needed to make bleach solution that I will never use it all. Anybody close is welcome to a scoop full.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    I have some gallon jugs of store bought water on the shelf. The rest of my stuff is just out of the tap. I do not add anything to it until I have to use it. Most of it is used for flushing or other things where you don't need the sanitized version. Save your time and the smell by just waiting until needed. Keep it out of direct sunlight and in a cool place and you should have no worries.

Just the opinions of people I have talked with over the years.

A few years back I bought a box of sodium hypochlorite. I can mix up my own bleach with no shelf life problems. One problem I had was putting it in small plastic bottles that I sealed. Turns out there was a chemical reaction of some sort and both bottles popped. One was in a bug out bag. The other was on a shelf in my den.

Popped so loud I thought something actually blew up.

I keep the stuff in the bag in a box that it was shipped in now. Bought like 10 pounds of the stuff. such a small amount needed to make bleach solution that I will never use it all. Anybody close is welcome to a scoop full.

For clarification: I just store tap water too. No additives, there's already enough stuff the local municipality puts in there. When I dump out the jugs I rinse with a bleach solution, rinse twice and refill. I use laboratory grade brown glass bottles. I get'em for free and they hold about a gallon and a third, very heavy duty. They are stored in a temp controlled closet and receive no sunlight. I just like to refresh them once a year. This is my main source of stored drinking water.

PITA, unnecessary steps? Maybe, to each their own.

There are forty gallons in the water heater and another 3+ gallons in the back of the toilets. I have makings for a rain collection system out of a tarp and some PVC. With .25" rain should gather about 25 gallons. I would like to store more water but for my current situation I am focused on a 30 day supply for drinking right out of the bottle. Layers, lots and lots of layers...with a slight touch of madness.

Thanks for the heads-up about the chemical reaction. I always leave chemicals in the bottles they came in. A couple bottles of bleach are always on the shelf.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    This last weekend I've spent time going through the cave. Some old friends inspired me get out my reloading stuff. I haven't reloaded a round since 2018 so it was overdue. My plan at this point is to load up everything on my workbench that I can, and give away the stuff I know I won't be using. I've largely been shooting factory ammo on sale for the last few years, but I have piles of reloading components that I can at least use to make up some training ammo. I've already started to purge extra brass and miss matched boxes of bullets that I know either don't shoot well, or I won't have the time to shoot. I need to get things in order, and this process is a means to that end. The net result so far is I've got an extra 200rds of 45acp as of last night, and I've gotten rid of one box of brass and bullets that was heavy for me to pickup.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Bought like 10 pounds of the stuff. such a small amount needed to make bleach solution that I will never use it all. Anybody close is welcome to a scoop full.
    I got some pounds of pool shock (calcium hypochlorite). It is not all created equal - you need to get the stuff that's around 70%. And it doesn't work like the online recipes say in really hard water that has been softened. Percent chlorine was considerable less than intended, and calcium precipitated out in the bottom. I eventually had to get a chlorine test kit and use that to make sure I had enough powder added to make effective bleach. I try to use water other than our softened tap - i.e. water from our dehumidifier - and it usually works better.

Can be used like regular bleach and diluted for water purification.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I got some pounds of pool shock (calcium hypochlorite). It is not all created equal - you need to get the stuff that's around 70%. And it doesn't work like the online recipes say in really hard water that has been softened. Percent chlorine was considerable less than intended, and calcium precipitated out in the bottom. I eventually had to get a chlorine test kit and use that to make sure I had enough powder added to make effective bleach. I try to use water other than our softened tap - i.e. water from our dehumidifier - and it usually works better.

Can be used like regular bleach and diluted for water purification.

The stuff I bought was for pool shock and the high percentage.... or so I thought. Guess now I need to find a chlorine test kit just to be sure.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Anyone care to share useful things they've stocked for barter?

My top 5:
    Toilet Paper
    Bar Soap
    Lighters
    Booze
    Ammunition

I really do not see us Bartering. Not where we live. We will remain as grey as possible. Not to would mean pain and misery for far too many.

If we bug out then possibly but again, our faith in fellow man is at low ebb.

I would absolutely have to know you to trade off any ammo.

Supporting 2 men and 5 females...….TP is gold. We buy it in bulk for a solid reason...:):

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I have also stocked up on propane (20 lb and 1 lb disposable and refillable bottles). Flame King makes refillable and transportable 1 lb bottles and a refill kit for use with 20 lb bottles.

I have also gotten my propane heating and cooking stuff in order including hoses, regulators and adapters. Don’t forget a battery powered carbon monoxide detector if using propane to cook or heat indoors!

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Nitty gritty:
    Not much toilet paper stored here. If not bugging out, we will depend on wet rags and a bucket of bleach water, and wash them out.
    Feminine hygiene - after the manufactured products run out, we will most likely fall back on the above (except dry) and small natural sponges.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    So perhaps what I have long suspected might hold true. The end of the Sears and Roebuck catalog was bound to pay off for someone someday.

After the apocalypse I will become king of the world after I open my TP outlet! J/K :)...maybe.

CM: Ammo would be handled like real gold and would not be traded cheaply, easily, or first. I can also see it as being a real point of contention/dangerous kind of commodity.

CB: Good point to make about the CO detector. I bought one after acquiring my first generator after all the warnings to not run it within ten feet (it might have even said 10 meters) of the house. The only time I have actually made it go off was while running a 2-cycle string trimmer inside a closed garage. The sensor was in the garage with me at the time and it was actually the point of doing this.

Battery powered, ten year life, $20, a good thing to have around.

I'm just fishing for things people might find valuable if the box stores are closed.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I have also stocked up on propane (20 lb and 1 lb disposable and refillable bottles). Flame King makes refillable and transportable 1 lb bottles and a refill kit for use with 20 lb bottles.

I have also gotten my propane heating and cooking stuff in order including hoses, regulators and adapters. Don’t forget a battery powered carbon monoxide detector if using propane to cook or heat indoors!

I could have sworn the new 20# propane cylinders have a tilt/float device inside that prevents the valve from flowing liquid if upside down. Ive got the refill attachment too, but havent tried using it. (and currently sitting on 2 empties so I cant test) I planned on refilling the tanks this week, but life got in the way. (currently nursing the flu as I type)

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    If you a stocking stuff to barter, where are you planning on trading your stuff? Your front door?

Not a lot of stuff. Just some stuff, practical stuff that people might have a need for.

Planning on making a living doing it? No. Planning on dying try to do it? Probably.

Having things to help people out? Yes. Having things that I might trade to someone else for things I might want/need? Yes.

I'm planning for something closer to the Puerto Rico post-hurricane experience than I Am Legend.

Planning on having things like plenty of TP and soap? Yep. Maybe get someone to share some of their food or stuff? If necessary.

Hiding inside and shooting through the door anyone who dares approach? Nope.

Hanging out alongside a highway and ambushing travelers? Nope.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I could have sworn the new 20# propane cylinders have a tilt/float device inside that prevents the valve from flowing liquid if upside down. Ive got the refill attachment too, but havent tried using it. (and currently sitting on 2 empties so I cant test) I planned on refilling the tanks this week, but life got in the way. (currently nursing the flu as I type)

The OPD valve only stops the flow of liquid propane by way of a float when the tank is upright. When inverted, liquid still flows:

https://www.propane101.com/opdcylindervalves.htm

The disposable 1 lb bottles can be refilled legally (but not transported) but are not designed for refilling. Flame King makes a refill kit which comes with a 1 lb bottle for $33 on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Flame-King-R...1_1?keywords=flame+king&qid=1582228544&sr=8-1

And Home Depot can get the 1 lb refillable bottles in about a week (Amazon is out until April):

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Flame-King-1-lb-Refillable-Propane-Cylinder-YSN164/305539511

Some rough math indicates it takes about 4 or 5 refills for one of these Flame King refillable tanks to pay for itself and start yielding savings.

Last edited:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Anyone care to share useful things they've stocked for barter?

My top 5:
    Toilet Paper
    Bar Soap
    Lighters
    Booze
    Ammunition

The thing I try to keep in mind is that 99.99% of people out there have zero tolerance for discomfort, have little to no real actual backpacking/camping experience, and don't know how to use their guns at all or at best past 100 yards. I have little faith in the resiliency of my fellow man as well.

Your list is solid, but I'd add tooth paste, deodorant, candy bars, and anything that gives people who only sit on the couch watching sports some degree of comfort and a return to their "normal".

I don't have big plans to barter.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    The thing I try to keep in mind is that 99.99% of people out there have zero tolerance for discomfort, have little to no real actual backpacking/camping experience, and don't know how to use their guns at all or at best past 100 yards. I have little faith in the resiliency of my fellow man as well.

Your list is solid, but I'd add tooth paste, deodorant, candy bars, and anything that gives people who only sit on the couch watching sports some degree of comfort and a return to their "normal".

This is why I don't want Bernie to win... I kinda like toilet paper, hot water, not standing in lines for bread...

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield

You forgot stupid, they’re stupid too. That’s why I’m stocking up on aerosol dusters/canned air. I’m going to trade it as canned air conditioning.

Top Bottom