• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    The TP outlet king was supposed to be a joke. My sense of humor doesn't cross the interwebs well.

I'm not really making plans to barter, but I would expect it to be taking place. Commerce is part of the foundation of society.

Having the ability to barter (or provide comfort items) in an emergency situation is just another prep. If someone can swing extra preps, when it is commonly accepted that so few have any preps at all, why not?

In a disaster situation I believe having friends near-by would be very important.

Sharing some TP, food or water could begin the bonds of community. If I were to lose everything, I can imagine being grateful for someone offering me a bar of soap to call my own. I do not relish the idea of waiting in line at a FEMA shower trailer.

Call me weird, it wouldn't be the first time.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The TP outlet king was supposed to be a joke. My sense of humor doesn't cross the interwebs well.

I'm not really making plans to barter, but I would expect it to be taking place. Commerce is part of the foundation of society.

Having the ability to barter (or provide comfort items) in an emergency situation is just another prep. If someone can swing extra preps, when it is commonly accepted that so few have any preps at all, why not?

In a disaster situation I believe having friends near-by would be very important.

Sharing some TP, food or water could begin the bonds of community. If I were to lose everything, I can imagine being grateful for someone offering me a bar of soap to call my own. I do not relish the idea of waiting in line at a FEMA shower trailer.

I have much respect for you and others who think this way. In a disaster then yes we would be taking care of our immediate neighbors as they are really good people. I am sure they would share what ever they have as well. There are children in this mix and my soul could never rest if I did not step up regardless.

There is also a sub culture of night dwelling meat sacks that would have to be dealt with as well. Part of living inside 465.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield

NEVER GO TO GOVERNMENT SHOWERS!

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    I have never really considered myself an active prepper but when I think about it, I do keep a healthy amount of firewood in case of a power outage.
    I have an old friend of mine that has a significant amount of land which myself and 4 other old friends camp on a few times a year.
    One evening around the campfire we made a pact to meet there if the SHTF.
    So maybe I am kind of a prepper.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I have never really considered myself an active prepper but when I think about it, I do keep a healthy amount of firewood in case of a power outage.
    I have an old friend of mine that has a significant amount of land which myself and 4 other old friends camp on a few times a year.
    One evening around the campfire we made a pact to meet there if the SHTF.
    So maybe I am kind of a prepper.

There are many levels to it

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    COOPUPAD- Yes. Those are actually two concrete prepping steps: being able to generate heat if your primary power goes out and community for mutual aid. People prep for all kinds of contingencies depending on what they see as likely situations that would negatively impact them or their family.

Well known ones include major SHTF events: war, pandemics, civil unrest, nuclear disaster, etc.
    Many people however, don't think much about smaller, but more common disasters: losing your job (do you have savings?), being snowed in for a number of days (you have firewood, have food/water?), house fire (fire extinguishers, escape plan, savings, insurance, friends and backups of key data), injury/sickness, etc, etc.

Think about those more common disasters and if you take some steps to minimize the harm they cause, what you will find is those preps are generally applicable to other disasters, large or small. Preps make you more resilient in general to life's problems and if done right, generally cost relatively little. Just being on this forum means you probably have some of the more expensive preps already covered.

Last edited:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I should have expanded on it when I mentioned I don't really have plans to barter. I'm not going to hold it over my neighbors head if they need a bar of soap with nothing to offer other than gratitude. I think the whole prepper world SHTF lone wolf attitude of doing "whatever it takes" to survive is completely wrong. We're all going to die at some point, and my intent is to live my life in a way I and my family can be proud of until that final moments comes and I have to answer for everything I just did. I think as people who look ahead and plan for the good/bad/ugly of what life can bring we need to change the conversation in the "survival" community to something more supportive to those we deem worthy after a disaster.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I get laughed at for being frugal with stuff that a lot of people throw away. A SHTF gift to friends/neighbors of a sliver or two of what is left when the bar of soap is gone serves us both well. The same with the used disposable nitrile gloves, not yet wore out, that hang in the kitchen and garage.

The needy neighbors can use the soap and gloves to keep the jalapeno oil at bay. Jalepeno oil from peppers that they seed and chop for you to dehydrate.

Clothes you no longer wear could cloth others, be re-purposed as sand bags or rags or scare crows. Scare crow laying prone w/broomstick "rifle."

A lot of laborious work around the house, garden, equipment and property could be accomplished by gratuitous friends who "owe you," allowing you to stay situation-ally aware of the surroundings.

I think there are some graceful words to give to friends/neighbors when SHTF gifting them something. "Just holler and I'll put the shovel by the compost pile that needs turned."

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Heavy cream takes a much smaller shelf space than milk and usually has an expiration date months out vs weeks. IMHO, works better than milk for cooking.

It's quick to make a creamed soup, chowder, gravy or stew.

It's also one step from being whipped cream or better yet a whipped cream/creamed cheese mouse sort of topping/desert.

Last edited:

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Walmart had mountain house on sale for$7 went ahead and bought what I could. Never tried then before. I'll probably open one up tonight

Top Bottom