What is a good knife for stabbing people?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I don't know why, but it feels weird asking that question.

It really should not, considering I have seen pages and pages discussing shooting people in the pelvic girdle, but it still seems weird asking that.

I carry a specific handgun, chosen based on it's barrel length, capacity, concealment, caliber, ability to point and shoot quickly, etc. It is loaded with rounds that I have chosen after hours of reading wound studies and breakdowns of real shootings. They are low flash, barrier penetrating, and expand in soft tissue, and do not plug with denim or leather.

I also carry a knife. I chose that knife based on it having a point on the end (that I broke prying nails out of a roof, so now it's really not that pointy) and I like the locking mechanism.

Granted, I carry my gun as a purely defensive tool and my knife is a general utility tool. It makes me wonder though, what if I wanted a knife just for stabbing people?

For the sake of this conversation, I do not care if it is fixed or folding, but it does need to be a reasonable size long enough to reach the things it needs to reach and short enough to carry (If it was convenient I would probably carry an Epee or Saber, but I am asking for suggestions about knives, not swords).

So, INGO knife gurus,

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Double edge dagger? :dunno:

For a defensive blade it might be better to slash instead of stabbing though.
    Depends what you're trying to do and what kind of martial training you have with a blade.

UGaARguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2015
    Lawrence County
    For the sake of this conversation, I do not care if it is fixed or folding, but it does need to be a reasonable size long enough to reach the things it needs to reach and short enough to carry
    From a purely academic standpoint, look at the Fairbairn-Sykes and Applegate-Fairbairn fighting knives as a reference.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Karambit (folder or fixed) for slicing and dicing (some will disagree with me on this, but creating blood loss is more important than penetration), but it won't do you a bit of good unless you train on a regular bases. :twocents:

MadBomber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Brownsburg
    Daryl Dixon has had a lot of success with the Busse Team Gemini. I think I'd prefer an ESEE 5 due to the lesser cost and killer (no pun intended) warranty. Of course, if I could get away with it I'd carry a Katana slung on my back and a Roman Gladius on the hip. Rhino and I have actually talked about this, at length. (Beats working)

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Karambit (folder or fixed) for slicing and dicing (some will disagree with me on this, but creating blood loss is more important than penetration), but it won't do you a bit of good unless you train on a regular bases. :twocents:

Brad nailed what I was going to say. Whatever your choice is you have to train and be able to use it.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Daryl Dixon has had a lot of success with the Busse Team Gemini. I think I'd prefer an ESEE 5 due to the lesser cost and killer (no pun intended) warranty. Of course, if I could get away with it I'd carry a Katana slung on my back and a Roman Gladius on the hip. Rhino and I have actually talked about this, at length. (Beats working)

Most people aren't going to carry around a 5" + fixed blade.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    IMO, a knife is a very poor choice as a weapon by itself. It is much more effective if used with a combination of open hand combative techniques. The problem with using a knife is the percentage is very low in getting an immediate effect on the central nervous system or other key areas of the body like muscles, bones, tendons, ligaments, etc. Damage to the central nervous system and other key body areas is more likely by using blunt force with a impact weapon like a baton or even a flashlight.

Note: I'm not expert on this, my opinion and what I have stated above is based on a lot of reading and listening to people who are experts on this matter, like George (INGO member "mercop")​

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    My money is on this one:
    61qMZeYFq5L._SL1200_.jpg

It's not terribly expensive. Comes with a trainer, if purchased that way. A fair amount of video reviews and some training vids by the knife designer on YouTube. It's a Benchmade, so I believe Brad might sell them.

IMG_3019.jpg

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    My money is on this one:
    View attachment 35298

It's not terribly expensive. Comes with a trainer, if purchased that way. A fair amount of video reviews and some training vids by the knife designer on YouTube. It's a Benchmade, so I believe Brad might sell them.

Is it long enough to cut the important things inside a person or is stabbing depth not really that big of a factor?

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Earnest Emerson at his seminar at blade show basically said fighting with a knife unless you have allot of training is a bad idea. When using a knife you want to go for major arteries that will make your opponent bleed out the fastest that is why karambits when uses properly are devastating. Or you just get the big wide bladed knives stabbed repeatedly into important bits to cause the maximum amount of tissue damage (remember to twist the blade when pulling out). Knife fighting is not something I would want to participate in just because you will get cut in that fight. For a pure fight knife I strongly suggest an Emerson Super Karambit.

Good situational awareness and a loaded .45 are my favorite weapons.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    So, INGO knife gurus,

From what I have seen?

The cheapest, nastiest kitchen knife that you can grab in a drunken/meth-infused rage.

Saw a 5'2", size 0, chick get a bread knife half way into a dude's (just under) trap while he was sitting down.

Like guns (I see the nastiest crap guns used to shoot people--usually), I see a lot of crap knives.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Is it long enough to cut the important things inside a person or is stabbing depth not really that big of a factor?

I'm not in the business of killing or "knife fighting." Joints, tendons and muscle is the target to immobilize. I'd just use them for shaving someone off of me or my gun. Sharps on both sides help me not to get it backwards.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    For stabbing the steel quality or even shape of the blade is not that important.You can stab someone with a screwdriver.

RAMBOCAT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    Check out the SOG PENTAGON (not to be confused with the MINI PENTAGON). I think it will fill your stabbing needs as well as offering a good edge for cutting or slicing; as it is double edged. One side is plain and the other is serrated. I own two and love them both dearly.

Top Bottom