What is a good knife for stabbing people?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Found a pic with bullets in it. :)

TK_Blind-Horse_T1_T2-6640-copy.jpg

Ooh tactical boolits! :yesway: It really is a beautiful knife design. Much like most things in Japanese culture. Simple, elegant but with a very distinct purpose which it does exceedingly well.

Curse Lynn Thompson for molesting it.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    What little time I've spent with a training knife (mostly in Krav Maga and Kali).

krav maga tought me that i dont want to be in a knife fight!, i cant tell you how mant times i did a knife defense perfectly, and feel the rubber blade on my arm!, or chest,or leg,the school where i took it made a comment about buying a shock knife Shocknife® to let you know when you got touched,i dont know if they ever got one or not, but he did tell me about wearing a white shirt and using a red marker, he said he did that once and that woke him up!

as my instructor once said, in a knife fight, the winner bleeds, and the looser gushes!

If it's only about stabbing, check out the CRKT HISSATSU.

View attachment 35349

when i first read the post i thought i thought the same thing, but since it dosent have a bolster/finger guard, i ruled it out(i have one, and the blue trainer version)if you are in a knife fight, and your hands are covered in blood, you dont want your hand slipping down the handle to the edge of the blade, and cutting your knife hand

to the op, i say a fixed blade,full tang, rubber handle, bolster/finger guard, at least a 4 inch blade(the longer the better), pointed(ie dagger/tanto) also before you buy the knife, i'd make sure the compant makes a trainer version, and practice, practice,practice!

see my above quote about knife fights!

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    all depends on the person and angle of insertion. I've seen people get stabbed with a 4" blade and have it not enter their abdomen. Combination of fat and angular insertion.

You can get the heart, liver, kidneys, spleen, lungs quite easily with a 3" blade in most people.

:woot:

"Stab-resistant" has a much better ring to it than "obese". Pair that with the fact that I'm inherently difficult to kidnap and I start sounding less like a slob and more like a superhero!!

Stairs may be my kryptonite though. :(

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I still stand behind recommending a push knife. It is a very intuitive design to learn how to use. And if the goal is simply stabbing then punch with a push dagger is likely to be the most effective means to that end.

As much as I dislike Lynn Thompson I do have to give credit where credit is due. His Safe Maker series of push knives are the most comfortable push knives I've ever held. I got one before I got the Benchmade I carry now and the handle really is very comfortable and it conceals very well. The only thing I don't like is the sheath.

Cold Steel Safe Maker I and Safe Maker II

UGaARguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2015
    Lawrence County
    "Stab-resistant" has a much better ring to it than "obese". Pair that with the fact that I'm inherently difficult to kidnap and I start sounding less like a slob and more like a superhero!!

Stairs may be my kryptonite though.

Hey, I resemble those remarks. Now only if I was as fast as a college football defensive lineman.

RAMBOCAT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    To all you cutters and slashers out there; check out A REAL KNIFE ATTACK IS LIKELY TO LOOK LIKE THIS on Youtube. Having been in prison for an extended stay in my youth, (nothing I'm proud of) ; this technique works almost 100% of the time. I saw it happen twice and heard about it often. Enough said; check it out.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    To all you cutters and slashers out there; check out A REAL KNIFE ATTACK IS LIKELY TO LOOK LIKE THIS on Youtube. Having been in prison for an extended stay in my youth, (nothing I'm proud of) ; this technique works almost 100% of the time. I saw it happen twice and heard about it often. Enough said; check it out.

Let me google that for you

NSFW!!!

[video=youtube_share;D0jwpwzGpGQ]http://youtu.be/D0jwpwzGpGQ[/video]

TWalker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    New Castle
    I've never been in a knife fight or stabbed someone for that matter.

I would say blood is slick you need something you can keep ahold of.

A friend who I would consider a subject matter expert told me that knives can get stuck in bone. So a big knife isn't always better and once again make sure it is something you can pull out if that happens.

I'm not sure if it is going to be used offensively or defensively but you don't want to always be carrying some huge knife. You aren't Rambo.

I would say get something that you can train with, so a trainer and the real deal.

The karambits are nice. I've never messed with one and it seems like it would require a lot of technique and practice.

The SOPC knives seem a little more user friendly, as in less training to make it effective. I think Benchmade and Spartan Blades make these not sure if others do as well.

I would definitely say fixed blade. A little more solid unless some coin is spent and also you don't have to open a fixed blade once you pull it out.

I would recommend against the use of a knife as a weapon. There is a reason for the saying "Don't bring a knife to a gunfight." You're probably not the only one armed if a confrontation happens.

I've heard the story about the guys on the ship and why the SOCP knife was created but for myself and a large majority of people out there a knife isn't needed as weapon.

By all means if you're clearing a house and some guy jumps on your back and you can't get enough distance to pull your rifle up and you can't get to that handgun for whatever reason and your buddies can't take a shot because you two are rolling around employ a knife but I would try to avoid that very unlikely situation.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    krav maga tought me that i dont want to be in a knife fight!, i cant tell you how mant times i did a knife defense perfectly, and feel the rubber blade on my arm!, or chest,or leg,the school where i took it made a comment about buying a shock knife Shocknife® to let you know when you got touched,i dont know if they ever got one or not, but he did tell me about wearing a white shirt and using a red marker, he said he did that once and that woke him up!

as my instructor once said, in a knife fight, the winner bleeds, and the looser gushes!

I have a tendency to almost always grab the sharp end of the blade in a disarmament drill :laugh: An electric knife would definitely help remedy that! I've watched videos with Filipino Marines running Kali drills where both guys wear a white t-shirt, and they coat the edge of their trainer with red lipstick. Once the match up is over, you've got a good visual of who did what to the other.

The "shiv" style knife attacks are extremely effective, I really like what the guys at ShivWorks teach and have a few of their blades. I would think that style of fight is more offensive than defensive though, because in a defensive situation you'd be likely be traveling away from your attacker and slashing to create distance, much like a person's natural reaction to a stinging bee. That said, I am in no way an expert. As said earlier, both parties are going to bleed and your goal is to make the other guy gush. Whatever method you train and practice in, is hopefully how one would react in such a situation, and I hope / prayer I never have to deal with such an encounter.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    To address the original question, here are some features that will enhance puncturing, i.e. stabbing:

• Straight, symmetrical blade, aligned with the handle. You can stab with curved blades, but it's a compromise for the specific action of stabbing.
    • Triangle or pyramid shaped
    • Slender width and thickness
    • Two or more edges

A classic stiletto (not the folding knife) falls into this category, and they typically did not even have sharp edges, just a point.

An ice pick or awl is the ultimate stabbing implement in terms of penetration, but won't do as much damage as larger object.

You need to balance the ease of insertion with enough blade width and thickness to do a lot of damage upon insertion. That means lots of pressure at the tip, which means as pointy as you can get it.

Syke-Fairbairn style daggers are probably ideal. The old Gerber Mark I is another good example.

HamYankee

Expert
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Jan 24, 2014
    Hendricks County
    I just bought a Becker Ka-bar Crewman. It's bad-ass and has a wicked clip-point. Of all my knives, I think it would be the best at stabbing someone through clothing.

Last edited:

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Is the current version of the Gerber Mark II a good knife?

I don't have any idea who makes decent knives and who makes junk.

Gerber's stuff is all over the place in regards to quality, depending on the model. The MK II is nice though, and has a pretty rich history spanning from being issued in Vietnam to the preferred knife in the controversial book Hitman. The older ones are really collectible, and come in a few varieties. Gerber also makes another version that is non serrated with a S30V blade. An alternative that is a little easier to conceal is the Gerber Gaurdian, which I also like. The sheath kind of sucks, but the guys @ Blade Rigs make a really nice alternative for it.

Top Bottom