• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I am inexperienced with holsters & have ordered a few & picked up a few at the LGS.
    One of the first I bought was the DeSanti Superfly mentioned early on that I got at Steven R Jenkins Co at 6680 East 21st St that caters to LEO.
    I have used it with my J frame revolvers & small 9mms.
    I have gotten decent holsters with used guns I've bought.
    I've had good luck with the inexpensive Sticky holsters for being able to tuck in your shirt.

But, what I don't understand with IWB holsters is that when you get one specifically designed for your gun, it might or might not have a "backing" covering the end of the slide so it doesn't dig into your flesh.
    And, none of the ones I've tried or seen, have a "backing" extending behind the grip, so that digs into you.

I've actually seen a "backing" you can buy to put between your skin & the gun's grip & slide that digs into you, but at $20 I haven't bought one yet.

A hybrid holster with a leather backing and a kydex shell that is molded to the particular gun. You can get them with or without a combat cut that cuts away the backer from the grip to allow you to get a full grip on the gun. Amazingly comfortable way to carry with a good belt. Typically slide it back further than the 3 o'clock position, just depends on preference as to how far.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    A hybrid holster with a leather backing and a kydex shell that is molded to the particular gun.
    You can get them with or without a combat cut that cuts away the backer from the grip to allow you to get a full grip on the gun.
    Amazingly comfortable way to carry with a good belt. T
    typically slide it back further than the 3 o'clock position, just depends on preference as to how far.

I googled it to see what comes up.
    I did see some with the leather backing following up the slide, but none that included the grip.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I googled it to see what comes up.
    I did see some with the leather backing following up the slide, but none that included the grip.

A Non combat cut won't cover the entire grip. It will cover the upper portion of the grip.

Personally I prefer a combat cut (allows a better grip on the gun while drawing) of either a Galco King Tuk or a Crossbreed super or mini tuk depending on gun size.
    I don't notice the grip myself, but I do tend to slide the holster back to the 5:30 or so position.
    If you want entire grip covered check out a https://n8tactical.com/ holster (Pic below) I've never tried one as it seems like way too much backer for me.

PRO-LC9.jpg

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    A Non combat cut won't cover the entire grip. It will cover the upper portion of the grip.

Personally I prefer a combat cut (allows a better grip on the gun while drawing) of either a Galco King Tuk or a Crossbreed super or mini tuk depending on gun size.
    I don't notice the grip myself, but I do tend to slide the holster back to the 5:30 or so position.
    If you want entire grip covered check out a https://n8tactical.com/ holster (Pic below) I've never tried one as it seems like way too much backer for me.

PRO-LC9.jpg

I had one for my Shield. I wasn't a fan. They have a retention design where you have to give a slight twist to the pistol to remove it smoothly. That and like you say, it's a lot of material, especially if you're carrying a small gun.

Ultimately, IWB didn't work for me so I sold it and went OWB.

Peter McM

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2012
    We The People Holsters. online only - www.wethepeopleholsters.com Bought a basic black IWB for my S&W Shield 9 EZ--I love it! Slips in and out of my jeans very easily, and the tension is perfect right out of the package. Just ordered one for my Sig P365 to replace the cheap holster it currently lives in.

Last edited:

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Kind of like the 9mm-.45 , or Glock-1911 debate, I love my alien gear, but others love the crossbreed, and of course you can't beat the cloth Uncle Mikes..................

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis

PRO-LC9.jpg

Thanks, Web! :thumbsup:
    I have been looking at this site trying to determine which one to get. :coffee:
    One says "tuckable," but another that seems a tad bigger doesn't say "tuckable," so I'm trying to figure it all out. :scratch:
    Might get both. :dunno:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Thanks, Web! :thumbsup:
    I have been looking at this site trying to determine which one to get. :coffee:
    One says "tuckable," but another that seems a tad bigger doesn't say "tuckable," so I'm trying to figure it all out. :scratch:
    Might get both. :dunno:

Doddg, see if you can try one before you buy it unless you don't mind sending it back. It is a different type of retention system. I can't remember what firearm you are needing it for so it may not be a big deal. But for my Shield, I never did get the confidence that I would have a quick, smooth draw if I was under stress.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Doddg, see if you can try one before you buy it unless you don't mind sending it back. It is a different type of retention system. I can't remember what firearm you are needing it for so it may not be a big deal. But for my Shield, I never did get the confidence that I would have a quick, smooth draw if I was under stress.

Yep, it's not of interest to me either, but then I like having 2 clips on a hybrid IWB and less backing near the grip.

Redlinetoys

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2016
    Northern Indiana
    This is a good thread. I have been looking for an OWB holster in leather that does exactly what it should do for my P365... but also has some style.

I appreciate all the responses as it has helped lead to some great websites with nice custom offerings.

I also front pocket carry either an LCP Ruger or the P365 for simplicity with a Bulldog, and am very happy with the quality/cost of them.

Here is the LCP size as an example:

https://www.amazon.com/Bulldog-Cases-Super-Holster-Small/dp/B01N138PRE

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    This is a good thread. I have been looking for an OWB holster in leather that does exactly what it should do for my P365... but also has some style.

I appreciate all the responses as it has helped lead to some great websites with nice custom offerings.

I also front pocket carry either an LCP Ruger or the P365 for simplicity with a Bulldog, and am very happy with the quality/cost of them.

Here is the LCP size as an example:

https://www.amazon.com/Bulldog-Cases-Super-Holster-Small/dp/B01N138PRE

I probably mentioned it up thread, but Tucker Gun Leather would fit the bill. Will do it's job and add some style. WLW is good but I tried them once but not again.

Heck, Galco makes a decent enough holster depending on your use.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Just a guess but the difference between tuckable and non-tuckable is probably the belt clip

A friend has a tuckable holster: Black Arch Holster Protos-M, which got my interest.
    That type doesn't have any backing for the grip like I want, though.
    It does look like the one Web suggested does: The Professional IWB (Inside The Waistband) Holster.
    • Patented Tuckable Design

Professional_Site_Glock19-350x453.png

Doddg, see if you can try one before you buy it unless you don't mind sending it back.
    It is a different type of retention system.
    I can't remember what firearm you are needing it for so it may not be a big deal.
    But for my Shield, I never did get the confidence that I would have a quick, smooth draw if I was under stress.

Where I ordered it from: https://n8tactical.com/ has these 2 caveats:
    • Two Week, Try It Free Guarantee
    • Lifetime Warranty
    It is for my Sig 365

Yep, it's not of interest to me either, but then I like having 2 clips on a hybrid IWB and less backing near the grip.

I had originally intended to get the Black Arch Holster Protos-M, simply b/c of someone who liked theirs, and they've tried some decent holsters.
    They mentioned how comfortable it was, with the 2 clips making that difference over a 1-clip, I imagine.
    Below is a pic of a THEIS holster that came with a Kahr CT9 that I bought from a member & after having two prior Kahrs that were unmemorable, but this one I can't part with.
    It has the backing for the slide, as you can see.
    I wore it today & it didn't bother me at at, whereas the holster for my Sig 365 irritates me especially in the car (3 o'clock position).

THEIS holster for a Kahr CT9
    KPx08Pe.jpg

AH holster for a Sig 365: front & back side.
    It digs into me with the back corner.
    Also, the magazine release engages sometimes while being worn, separating the magazine, which makes it unusable.

ZKJog9F.jpg

gOWSS7f.jpg

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    A friend has a tuckable holster: Black Arch Holster Protos-M, which got my interest.
    That type doesn't have any backing for the grip like I want, though.
    It does look like the one Web suggested does: The Professional IWB (Inside The Waistband) Holster.
    • Patented Tuckable Design

Professional_Site_Glock19-350x453.png

• Lifetime Warranty
    It is for my Sig 365

I had originally intended to get the Black Arch Holster Protos-M, simply b/c of someone who liked theirs, and they've tried some decent holsters.
    They mentioned how comfortable it was, with the 2 clips making that difference over a 1-clip, I imagine.
    Below is a pic of a THEIS holster that came with a Kahr CT9 that I bought from a member & after having two prior Kahrs that were unmemorable, but this one I can't part with.
    It has the backing for the slide, as you can see.
    I wore it today & it didn't bother me at at, whereas the holster for my Sig 365 irritates me especially in the car (3 o'clock position).

THEIS holster for a Kahr CT9
    KPx08Pe.jpg

]

Thats a backwards cant, don't think I've ever seen that before. Is that comfortable?

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    • Lifetime Warranty
    It is for my Sig 365

Great! This is why I won't purchase a WLW holster again. They won't let you return it if you don't like it. There are a lot of holster companies out there that will so I will stick with those in the future.

If you don't like the N8, check out Bravo Holsters. I have a few and if I'm buying Kydex, it will most likely be a Bravo. Good product, fits well, 30 day satisfaction guarantee no matter what you do to it, and good customer service. Plus the pricing is good.

But,in the end, as you know, holsters are very personal and it can be tough to figure out what works for you.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Thats a backwards cant, don't think I've ever seen that before. Is that comfortable?

I learned early on with my shoulder & hand arthritis that a 6 o'clock position was out of the question.
    The forward cant was problematic for me, wearing from 1- 3 o'clock position.
    I prefer 3 o'clock with the grip being right a above the belt line.
    My wrist is more comfortable with the reverse cant.

Reverse cant:
    SWdzuLb.jpg

Forward cant:
    tBd7Udg.jpg

Top Bottom