• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    I have no idea. Personally, I never use the term.

Ironically enough check out your screename! :D

This is why purple (or a smiley) adds value.

So TFT, did INGO charge you $50 extra for that name? ;)

original.jpg

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    How about a working definition of "tactical" (an adjective) or "tactics" (a noun.)

Here's one.
    Tactics: procedures or set of maneuvers used against an enemy.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    It's one of those terms that can mean exact opposite things and still be right on both counts. For some, it means a tool that values function over form but for others it's totally form over function. In the end, it is just a term to cover any number of items that are designed to give the appearance of capability in place of actual capability.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    It's one of those terms that can mean exact opposite things and still be right on both counts. For some, it means a tool that values function over form but for others it's totally form over function. In the end, it is just a term to cover any number of items that are designed to give the appearance of capability in place of actual capability.

:scratch: Huh?

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN

Sorry... I simply meant that some people consider tactical modifications to be something that adds capability where as others make tactical modifications to give the appearance of capability. For instance, adding a railed hand guard to an AR might make it more useful by letting you add a light, but adding a railed hand guard to a 10/22 looks cool, but it does not make it more useful for most people.

But, the world we live in is driven by marketing and adding the word 'Tactical' to something will sell more of it. It's like the commercials that tell women that a face cream has 'rejuvenating serums'. Tactical triggers an emotion that sells.

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    This is why purple (or a smiley) adds value.

Purple is for the unimaginative and small-minded.

To seriously address Bob's OP, I think the connotation of the word "tactical" has morphed over the years to now mean anything related to self-defense. I used the term in my company name to indicate that we're focused on firearms training related to the defense one's self, one's home and one's family - as opposed to sport shooting or hunting skills, etc.

Like any "secondary meaning" of a word, people will have different impressions and YMMV.

Guy

Last edited:
    Top Bottom