What is the most frivolous reason you ever bought a handgun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SAILORGOLF46

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    Always thought I should have three guns. A .22 rifle, a 20ga pump shot gun and a S&W .38 snub nose revolver. Got them, but the duplicates of each I own are very frivolous but fun to own.

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    Frivolous is debatable. If self defense were the only criteria one large bore pistol (or DA revolver) and one shotgun would do the job with perhaps a second micro size pistol for concealed carry. The 1911 .45 ACP and .380 ACP plus a tactical 12 gauge suffice. Also got a M9 pistol and .357 GP100 revolver. Other than the .380 ACP, they're all calibers and handgun types I carried in the past. The M9 and GP100 could justifiably be alternatives to the 1911. Necessary for my primary use? No. Wouldn't go so far as frivolous though.

The 5.5" .45 Colt Blackhawk is the odd one out. It's simply a fun revolver. Could be used for self defense with the heavy loads I put in it, hotter than the common "cowboy" stuff, but wouldn't want to rely on it for any more than six shots. I'd need a New York reload. Patton realized this when he carried a .45 Colt SAA during the Punitive Expedition in 1916 that pursued Pancho Villa into Mexico. Reloading one in combat sucks. He acquired a second one which he gave away at some point after WWI to a movie actor he admired that had entertained troops during the war. It was replaced with a S&W Registered Magnum about 1935, forerunner of the Model 27. If any of them are "frivolous", it would be this SA .45 Colt Blackhawk. Nevertheless, it's a fun one to use at the range.

John

Last edited:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    There have been a few that could qualify as frivolous. Probably the most frivolous was while buying a Mossberg 930, my son noticed a Witness in 10mm. I was familiar with them and on learning that the price was under $500, hardly looked at it at all before adding it to the day's bill. I had already committed to the 930, but thought that the 10mm Witness was a rare thing so just bought it for no real good reason. Turned out to be a nice gun. I had that longer than I kept the 930.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    There have been a few that could qualify as frivolous. Probably the most frivolous was while buying a Mossberg 930, my son noticed a Witness in 10mm. I was familiar with them and on learning that the price was under $500, hardly looked at it at all before adding it to the day's bill. I had already committed to the 930, but thought that the 10mm Witness was a rare thing so just bought it for no real good reason. Turned out to be a nice gun. I had that longer than I kept the 930.

I have owned several 930's and can not seem to hang onto them....I currently have a really nice one. For how long...???

Not easy to find a 12G auto loader for that money.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Frivolous is debatable. If self defense were the only criteria one large bore pistol (or DA revolver) and one shotgun would do the job with perhaps a second micro size pistol for concealed carry. The 1911 .45 ACP and .380 ACP plus a tactical 12 gauge suffice. Also got a M9 pistol and .357 GP100 revolver. Other than the .380 ACP, they're all calibers and handgun types I carried in the past. The M9 and GP100 could justifiably be alternatives to the 1911. Necessary for my primary use? No. Wouldn't go so far as frivolous though.

The 5.5" .45 Colt Blackhawk is the odd one out. It's simply a fun revolver. Could be used for self defense with the heavy loads I put in it, hotter than the common "cowboy" stuff, but wouldn't want to rely on it for any more than six shots. I'd need a New York reload. Patton realized this when he carried a .45 Colt SAA during the Punitive Expedition in 1916 that pursued Pancho Villa into Mexico. Reloading one in combat sucks. He acquired a second one which he gave away at some point after WWI to a movie actor he admired that had entertained troops during the war. It was replaced with a S&W Registered Magnum about 1935, forerunner of the Model 27. If any of them are "frivolous", it would be this SA .45 Colt Blackhawk. Nevertheless, it's a fun one to use at the range.

John

You do realize that I am letting you be the judge of the frivolity or lack thereof in your own purchases? :):

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    Where do I even start with this?
    I've always been a fan of the 1911, but I really like the 357 caliber. Then one day I discovered this gun called Coonan. They had all kinds of problems firing, feeding, and ejecting and the company folded only to be started up again under new ownership. They worked out all the problems that the originals had and I just had to have one. I had to order it and it took nearly 6 months to get. The gun shoots amazing, it's one of my favorites but rarely leaves the safe.
    Then one day I learned about the Smith and Wesson 610, another out of production gun. I had to have one. I bought a 6 inch 610 and then had to have one of every barrel length that they made in 610, 4 inch, 5 inch, 6 inch, AND the Smith and Wesson 310, which is also 10mm but has scandium frame with 2 inch barrel. There is one 610 out there that I don't have, it was a Lew Horton run of only about 300. The last one I saw sold for nearly $3000, so I probably will never own that one.
    I love shooting all the 610's, however the 310 is not fun to shoot. It really hurts the hand and wrist since it's so light but, it's part of the collection.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm pretty settled on the platform I'm shooting now. The problem is the "one is none" thought process. One more to buy, then I'm done.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Cause it was on sale? That might, or might not, be the reason I now own a brand new (and heavily discounted) Taurus M85.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    Frivolous? As noted above, it is in the eye of the beholder!

One Saturday afternoon I was at my favorite LGS in Greenwood, have a rear sight blade replaced on a S&W 66 (it was my first duty weapon, and someone had dropped it between trade-in and when I bought it back). The gunsmith was in, had the parts, and it would take about fifteen minutes.

I walked out of the store with my repaired S&W and an S&W M&P .22 compact. Never had a .22 semi auto before, and this was right there, and they were willing to deal enough to get me to take it home. Wasn't really looking, didn't have a need for it, and it wasn't something sentimental to me, like the 66. So, probably frivolous, but still fun (and somewhat cheap) to shoot.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I bought my first .40 because there seemed to be less of a shortage of .40 around than most any other caliber. I've come to really like the .40, but that first one was a G27 and the only reason I bought it was that there were more boxes of .40 on the shelf than there were 9mm or .45.

junk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 25, 2016
    state of confusion
    I bought a M9 because my son needed to qualify on the pistol range at west point . he practiced while on leave , he qualified and I sold the gun. I've also bought 3 different .40's cause I have 2 cans full of ammo . Seem to sell them before I shoot them .

Top Bottom