What is the most frivolous reason you ever bought a handgun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    I worked at Kay's Merchandise around 1998. I worked the gun counter. We had just got a 10" MKII Ruger in. I really didn't think I needed it but I really wanted it. That long barrel jusy seemed so cool. So for a little over $200, I brought it home.

It started out as a frivolous purchace but time has shown it was the best buy I ever made.

Try buying one of those today! Used ones are 2 1/2 times that much.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    IndyDave, you're reason makes mine look positively frivolous - country of origin.

I don't even like shooting the thing.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have a S&W... suddenly I am wondering why I never bought the pistol to go with that mag... I also have a couple G22 mags....
    :think:

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Bought a Dan Wesson .357 4 barrel cased kit once cause it was so shiny; then a couple months later bought another one that was even shinier. Would that be frivolous and frivolouser?

Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Nov 16, 2013
    Greenfield
    Bought a Wilson Combat CQB here about a month ago. Was at Indiana Gun Club a few days before, and talked myself out of it at $3,400. See the one listed here for $2,100, unfired and in perfect condition, and I had to have it! Still yet to shoot it, nor show it to the better half!

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Not a handgun but a similar story as yours. I too remember shopping with my mom at a local store that also sold guns in the back. They would also come out with a mail catalog that came to the house around Christmas time. I remember drooling over the Marlin Mod 60 with the squirrel stock. I dreamt of exploring the woods, camping, fishing and shooting varmints with that baby.

I finally turned 18 and let my folks know I wanted to by the rifle for myself and find a place to start shooting it. My dad got involved and wanted to make sure I picked the right gun. At the time the Marlin was 89 bucks. My dad talked me into a Ruger 10/22 with all the extras. Think I spent over 350 and went home extremely disappointed and feeling I spent way too much of my hard earned money. I sold the Ruger a year later while my dad wasn't home.

I am now 38 like you and have shot all kinds of guns and a bunch of rim fires have come and gone. Was doing my nightly rounds on INGO and low and behold a clean model 60 with the squirrel in the stock come up for sale. It was the older model that I used to dream about. Darn if it wasn't a two hour drive away from me.

My wife said "go get it"! I went and grabbed it up and spent the next afternoon cleaning it up. Two range trips and she is dialed in and shooting great. Plan on doing some exploring and some tree rat blasting!

I have bought other guns just because they were a good deal. Fun to play with them awhile then make a few bucks as prices are always going up. Sound investments they are.

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    Lots of "good" reasons that seemed perfectly justified at the time, sometimes forgotten later. I will admit to seeing something going for cheap on gunbroker and think "I can't let that go for that price" and next thing I know I'm emailing my LGS saying "got another one headed your way. Call me when it gets there."

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Often buy a second or third of a carry gun, because one isn't enough. Got to have a spare. Is that frivolous? Because I've got this problem bad. Damn CDO.
    I've been on one platform for quite some time, but switched calibers now a few times, and each time, got to have those backups, spares...

Ah, I see I'm not the only one:
    I'm pretty settled on the platform I'm shooting now. The problem is the "one is none" thought process. One more to buy, then I'm done.

Problem is, I am contemplating changing platforms once I shoot my new M&P compact a bit more. Thought I was well settled as I have pretty much shed most everything that wasn't in my preferred platform and now my preferred caliber, and then...

Last edited:

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I bought a S&W Model 19-5 a few years back because I sold my Model 66-1 in 1985.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I've bought a few because they were "extreme", especially in todays world; a VEPR 12 gauge, Desert Eagle 44 mag. I've bought some to have a set; an HR Garand and a Springfield (budget won't support the Winchester or international yet)

JRR85

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    NWI
    I didn't have a 44 magnum so I bought a 629-1. Fired a box and sold it not long after. I am getting the itch again for a .44 magnum...

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    A Miruko copy ca 1967 of a Sharp's derringer...It's a tack driver....:)

lf

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I have bought guns because I saw one I wanted or simply because I was in the shop, looking around and decided to get something. Most of my huns are purchased for frivolous reasons. :cool:

BFR50-110

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Montgomery County
    Most guns I buy because I like them and think they are neat or unique. I like having guns that most people probably don't have (Coonan Classic .357, Glock .50 GI, BFR .500 JRH, RIA .22 TCM, Bond Arms derringers, etc.). I also have a more practical gun or two (Ruger LCP 2).

Top Bottom