• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    For an AR platform, I’ll take the pistol with brace any day. No pesky paperwork, I can sell it myself if I choose to, and I can take it to other states without asking permission.

However, the SBR route still holds lots of appeal for me in other areas. See below. (If only a company would come out with a bolt action 300blk pistol I could slap a brace on!)

imagejpeg
    DSC_93911.JPG

HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville

From this article:
    "This letter applies solely to pistol arm braces which have been submitted to the ATF FTB branch and have received approval. SB Tactical is the only maker to have received this approval. If you have a non-SB Tactical pistol brace, this ruling does not apply to your brace. Shoulder those at your own risk."

I guess I'm not allowed to shoulder my KAK brace.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    From this article:
    "This letter applies solely to pistol arm braces which have been submitted to the ATF FTB branch and have received approval. SB Tactical is the only maker to have received this approval. If you have a non-SB Tactical pistol brace, this ruling does not apply to your brace. Shoulder those at your own risk."

I guess I'm not allowed to shoulder my KAK brace.

Weird, huh?

cosmos556

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2017
    Greenwood
    The ability to have a full stock is the main thing I love. My AR SBR gets the most range time of any rifle I own.

I bought a PAP M92 that came with a brace, was very excited about it, and ended up selling the brace after the first range trip. I did not like it at all. It was cumbersome and awkward. Once sold, I never looked back. The money from the brace nearly paid for the stamp.

If you’re curious, a rifle made as a pistol is a good way to start and/or troubleshoot while waiting on F1 approval. But sooner or later, I think most people will want to get full utility from a shoulder stock. Can you become proficient otherwise? Sure. See the guys on YouTube who run single shot shotguns as fast as less experienced pump action shooters. But for what is effectively a negligible cost increase over the cost of a brace setup, why not get the real thing?

cosmos556

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2017
    Greenwood
    I have considered that. If I bought a 700 receiver from say, Brownells, how do I designate it as a pistol?

And am I just spending too much time chasing a 6" shorter barrel?

First, poster above is right regarding “other.”

Second, a distinct possibility on time. IME, a 16” bolt action is generally a light and handy rifle. You could always go shorter and still be Title I with a pinned and welded muzzle device.

If time and/or cost isn’t a factor, sure. The chassis linked has received great reviews. You could take a 700 stock and remove the buttstock and add an ACE block for the blade. Are you setting headspace yourself? Another cost.

cosmos556

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2017
    Greenwood
    One more though. The chassis and receiver will run what, $700 and $300, respectively? That’s before any time, headspace, assembly, etc. Even with prerequisite KSA, it still takes time.

You’ll be money ahead with a $650 rifle & a $200 SBR stamp. You could also SBR an AR-15 in .300 Blackout for less than chassis and receiver costs, but there is more action noise with that route.

Dont let me dissuade you; your project has a lot of cool potential, and I’d love to see finished photos, but it will take considerably more resources to complete.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    My first INGO lower was built as a 16" rifle with the plan of chopping the barrel and adding a can...2 stamps. I have yet to start any paperwork on this plan (baby on the way and this plan is expensive). I'm considering leaving the current rifle as is, and building a pistol instead. Still just thinking about it though, as this plan also costs money.

The reason for me was mainly the "cool factor" and "just because I can." But, I have friends who have cool guns and they let me shoot them, so that works for me for now.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I'd say the purpose is not being in a gray area subject to the whim of a judge, especially with felony consequences.
    I have a hard time justifying an SBR or AR/AK pistol, practically speaking. I do think a pistol carbine would be a nice pairing-glock pistol and receiver to accept glock mags.

Top Bottom