• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zero_ek

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 29, 2010
    Alexandria
    I really want to find a group of guys to train with that know what to do in stressful situations. I'd pay to go to classes but you don't see the guys that you take the class with normally. I need to know more people and be part of a regular training schedule.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I really want to find a group of guys to train with that know what to do in stressful situations. I'd pay to go to classes but you don't see the guys that you take the class with normally. I need to know more people and be part of a regular training schedule.

My :twocents:, save up the required money and take at least one multi-day training class on the platform you are most likely to use (for most of us this is handgun). You will learn a ton and you'll meet many like-minded people.

Then later you can seek out other like-minded and like-skilled individuals to train regularly with. You may have even met them in your class.

Often times guys in groups like this will be hesitant to take on a "noob" without prior training, due to the potential safety concerns and the fact that the other guys will often be working on skills that require a more solid base. That's not to say that you might not find a willing sole to take you under their wing and help bring you up to speed, but its more rare.

One of my training buddies has trained a lot with Pat Rogers. Another has several Tactical Response courses under his belt. When the 3 of us get together its great to be able to share what we've learned collectively and find what works best for our individual needs.

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    And in the mud. Often.

IMG_1680-1.jpg
    I think I recognize the guy on the right in this pic.

Great thread, WETSU. You're the poster child for walking the walk on this kind of stuff. +1 to you.

Zero_ek

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 29, 2010
    Alexandria
    My :twocents:, save up the required money and take at least one multi-day training class on the platform you are most likely to use (for most of us this is handgun). You will learn a ton and you'll meet many like-minded people.

Then later you can seek out other like-minded and like-skilled individuals to train regularly with. You may have even met them in your class.

Often times guys in groups like this will be hesitant to take on a "noob" without prior training, due to the potential safety concerns and the fact that the other guys will often be working on skills that require a more solid base. That's not to say that you might not find a willing sole to take you under their wing and help bring you up to speed, but its more rare.

One of my training buddies has trained a lot with Pat Rogers. Another has several Tactical Response courses under his belt. When the 3 of us get together its great to be able to share what we've learned collectively and find what works best for our individual needs.

I've took a basic handgun course and a Carbine 1 class this year. Plan to do them again next year. Will have more money to buy more ammo for the classes. Hopefully eventually someone could take me under their wing. I'm always up to learning new skills. Including Medical skills, Survival skills, any kind of combat skills. I've been reading a lot of books lately so it's got me all ready to learn lol. Someday I'm sure i'll find my place.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I've took a basic handgun course and a Carbine 1 class this year. Plan to do them again next year.

Sounds like you're already ahead of the curve then. I took your previous comment to mean that you hadn't yet taken any formal training and that you didn't want to pay for it. Now I understand.

I'd recommend keeping an eye here in the T&T forum for other folks in your area who might also be interested in the same things.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    The face down wounded guy was found face down. I have been handled rougher than that when dragged by dudes. I really hate it when their muzzles bob me in the head as they are running.

To the poster who said he would not want to be dragged by these dudes. I would. At least they are training to pull a downed comradre out of the kill zone, as fast as they can and get him behind cover to treat him if they can. Thats what it's all about. Not packaging for transport on an EMS. I'd rather be worked over by these meatheads than left behind by a 400 pound bench shooter on a CPAP.

HRCCShootingPackage-CamdenTN-Sep-42.jpg

Oooo, looky. He's face down. tsk tsk.
    I could really care about being kicked in the head or being thumped by someones Barrel while being dragged away if injured.

My caveat is you can cause serious spinal issues moving someone in this position, stuff that you can not fix...
    Much better to take the 2 seconds and flip them face up...

Not exactly how I train for this type of situation either. Why not use the additional Shooters to secure the Scene, then see to the wounded?! Not pounding just curios to the reasons why...

Zero_ek

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 29, 2010
    Alexandria
    Sounds like you're already ahead of the curve then. I took your previous comment to mean that you hadn't yet taken any formal training and that you didn't want to pay for it. Now I understand.

I'd recommend keeping an eye here in the T&T forum for other folks in your area who might also be interested in the same things.

I don't mind paying for training. It's tons of fun to shoot. And never know when the training will come in handy.

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Jeremy,

Good points. One pic doesn't really capture whats going on I suppose. These guys are training, they are going to make mistakes. I've seen students drag the dummy through moving water and have him fall off the litter, into the water. Oops.

As far as securing the scene, they are reacting to an ambush and breaking contact. They are focused on putting out a wall of lead, from a very small group, get away and THEN set up a 360, CC point etc and get to work.

Tinman, there was a heavy bag in there, and spent sims rounds.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Jeremy,

Good points. One pic doesn't really capture whats going on I suppose. These guys are training, they are going to make mistakes. I've seen students drag the dummy through moving water and have him fall off the litter, into the water. Oops.
    If one must Bleed it is better that it is in Training.

As far as securing the scene, they are reacting to an ambush and breaking contact. They are focused on putting out a wall of lead, from a very small group, get away and THEN set up a 360, CC point etc and get to work.
    Everybody has a different way to do it. LOL...

I am used to Securing the Site, then tending to the Wounded. I would only attempt to break Contact if it was an Superior Force. Breaking Contact can turn real nasty real quick...

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    I've took a basic handgun course and a Carbine 1 class this year. Plan to do them again next year. Will have more money to buy more ammo for the classes. Hopefully eventually someone could take me under their wing. I'm always up to learning new skills. Including Medical skills, Survival skills, any kind of combat skills. I've been reading a lot of books lately so it's got me all ready to learn lol. Someday I'm sure i'll find my place.

The fact that you are training is good, but people who do these sorts of exercises with their own teams outside of classes typically train with schools that push them WAY outside their comfort zone. A lot of the training out there will make you feel really good about yourself, but not really push you mentally or physically. Seek out the hardest training.

Zero_ek

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 29, 2010
    Alexandria
    The fact that you are training is good, but people who do these sorts of exercises with their own teams outside of classes typically train with schools that push them WAY outside their comfort zone. A lot of the training out there will make you feel really good about yourself, but not really push you mentally or physically. Seek out the hardest training.

Of course. To me right now it's finding the right training that will push me. I just don't want to go to the range and shoot my gun. Or go to a class and stand in a line and shoot my gun. There has to be more. I could join the military but that's something I don't want to do right now since I have a decent job.

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    This is the main reason I started the a free form training group in South Bend. After training with WETSU and Tinman at a class that pushed me further than I had in the past I realized I needed to get up to speed on multiple aspects of the "warrior curriculum". It's been great so far and I'm learning lots of skills that will help me in the future, and that would have helped in those classes and evolutions. I would encourage everyone to seek out training like that, and if there isn't any in your area...start a group.

Zero_ek

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 29, 2010
    Alexandria
    This is the main reason I started the a free form training group in South Bend. After training with WETSU and Tinman at a class that pushed me further than I had in the past I realized I needed to get up to speed on multiple aspects of the "warrior curriculum". It's been great so far and I'm learning lots of skills that will help me in the future, and that would have helped in those classes and evolutions. I would encourage everyone to seek out training like that, and if there isn't any in your area...start a group.

I'm agreeing with this 100%. In the same boat as you were in.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    One of the things several forget in their training is the reasons why stuff is done XYZ way. They fail to learn the Tactics, Strategies, and Logistics of why some Persons do it this way why others do it another way. I would like to sit down with WETSU one of these days and discuss his reasons for behind his groups choice of methods. It may or may not be someway I would want to do things, but it is always good to know the whys of choices.

A good Library is an essential base to build your methods from.

Top Bottom