What kind of firepower do you keep in your vehicle if any?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    The reason I'm asking is because I recently went on a vacation with my family and used me car bag as my carry on. In order to do that I had to dump everything out before leaving and then repack it when I got back. When I was repacking it I was putting in my little marlin papoose and I really started to wonder about what other people kept in their vehicles.

I started keeping the papoose because with it being broken down and in a bag it's pretty easy to have in the car, but also if I was ever questioned for whatever reason I could always say that I just keep it in there in case a hunting opportunity comes up. It's pretty easy to defend a little 22lr rifle, but at the same time I really started to wonder if I couldn't just break down an AR in the same space and have some serious firepower. The weight and space for ammo & mags aren't even in the same game as a 3.5# 22lr, but the neither is the firepower. I'm trying to honestly think though what I'm keeping in my car, and the only reason I have a rifle in my car is to help me get home. Obviously trying to avoid any kind of trouble and moving quietly and hopefully unnoticed.

So, what do you keep in your vehicle and why did you chose it?

:popcorn:

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    Basic AR-15 with OD furniture, heavy barrel, and mid-length gas system. I chose it because I wanted something that could get some **** done, haha.

I also have a spare G17 in my GHB, in addition to the G17 I EDC.

IMG_0414.JPG

IMG_0422.JPG

More info on my stuff here: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo..._and_impressions_on_my_bob_ghb_sghbs_etc.html

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Still saving $$$ for my car gun, a Kel-Tec Sub 2000 9mm. Because it folds in half and shoots a round that is effective and plentiful, which makes it perfect to store in in a tiny car.

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Jeep gun is a MAK90 underfolder w/ 30 rd mag. I keep a plate carrier with 2 AK mags, G17 mag, light, CS and blow out kit. Combined with my EDC G19 and spare mag, its enough to get me home, or to my crew. I chose the AK because it is my preferred weapon. Period.

Car Ramrod, nice set up dude. I like how you think

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Nothin'. I work at one of those places that are allowed to ban weapons in the parking lot.

I work retail and I was recently told by my District Manager (in reference to the parking lot bill) that "It doesn't matter what the state says, [Employer] law trumps state law!"

:dunno::rolleyes:

He's a company man.

Good thing he doesn't make the laws.

Last edited:

sbsg2005

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2011
    Nothin'. I work at one of those places that are allowed to ban weapons in the parking lot.

My employer is the same way, but what they can't see can't hurt em. My edc goes with me were ever I go, just not always inside. And I always carry enough gear to arm 2 people quite well. As to what they are here goes, w AR's with 6 mags each, 1 M&P 40 with 4 mags, 1 Mossberg 500 and 30 rounds of buck shot for it. That's just under the back seat of the truck. Tool box has more ammo, LBV's, BOB, and more. Drivers side door has more, console has more and the passenger side door has more. Some comes in at night, some don't. Guns do of course.

I don't care what my employers says, they have no right to search my vehicle.

Goober135

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Valparaiso
    For the most part, I just have my EDC either on me or in my center console. Every once in a while I'll toss my SA 1911 into my glove box, but I feel like that is degrading to her. ;)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My employee hand book states no firearms allowed in the service vehicle. I can't read apparently. Boss saw my EDC, Springer 1911 A-1 with spare mags and said I could be fired for that. I told him OK and started to go home to un-load my tools. He stopped me. Just shook his head and walked inside. Employers are just scared of legal action against them.
    If I used deadly force (and would) against some crack head nutbag during a service call he could be involved as I am a representative of his company. Lawyers are causing these issues. No one likes a lawyer until you need one............;)

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Just curious, but how do you jeep guys keep items like guns & ammo secured while you're away? I'm really interested in buying a soft top wrangler, but I don't know how people keep their gear locked up. I could always mount a lock box in the back, but then there isn't much room to begin with. Any suggestions?

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    What is the max temp the contents are exposed in the summer? 140 to 150 degrees or is it cooler.

Just asking because the heat messes with some of the first aid gear I carry........

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Fair question, but currently I'm driving a car and everything is in a locked trunk. On a hot day I can see that having an effect on what's inside. I rotate the MRE's in my car bag every 6 months, but the tylenol bottle could go bad even though it's not opened.

sbsg2005

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2011
    Just curious, but how do you jeep guys keep items like guns & ammo secured while you're away? I'm really interested in buying a soft top wrangler, but I don't know how people keep their gear locked up. I could always mount a lock box in the back, but then there isn't much room to begin with. Any suggestions?

Jeeps can be difficult, but with a custom built low profile box in the back and some ammo cans bolted down and locked up you can keep some guns and ammo in the Jeep relativly safe from prying eyes and hands. I tuffy even makes a underseat lock box some jeep models specifically for holding a handgun.

Top Bottom