• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Same for the guy shopping for guns. There is no reason to unholster your carry weapon while in a gun store unless you're about to shoot someone.

If you're shopping for a new holster, then it should already be unloaded and made safe and a different gun should be your carry.

If you just can't help yourself and you have to show off your loaded carry gun to all your idiot friends, then you should be kicked the hell out of the store for being a moron.

I don't disagree with your stance, but the probability is key. Say you're carrying your 1911 and you go into the store to get some ammo prices. Then you see it. On the counter is a new gizmo for your 1911! It's will solve your one and only complaint with your gun. They even have a demo unit out. "I wonder what that would look like on my gun?", you ask yourself in giddy excitement. Then the gun you fully intended to leave holstered comes out......

The probability of that happening at a gun store or gun show is much higher than any other environment. It is my ASSUMPTION that this higher probability is the cause for these types of signs and rules. Regardless of the reason, they should be respected if you choose to enter.

I really wish a representative of somewhere like Bradis would come on here and simply answer the very pointed question of "why this policy"?

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    This just proves how useless, pointless, and illogical having a sign is.
    Just like how drunk driving laws stop drunks from driving and gun control laws keep people from committing crimes with firearms.

There is a lot that is pointless in this world... Pick and choose your battles or you'll grow tired, old, and weak fighting everything.

Yep...The real world is not fair,therefore we must punish the sane,careful and logical to "protect" the general public as well as private enterprise from itself ! We DO need an AWB after all! Common sense is more common among those who choose to be armed to protect themselves and their families.
    I didn't say I condoned the signs or the actions of the gun shop, but simply stated why it was the way it was. Agree or disagree with their policy, patronize or not - up to you.

reesez

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    Chevyville
    Well if you think about it, the shops with the no loaded guns signs have the better deals...... maybe that is proof that the insurance premiums are lower? :dunno:

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    Honestly I had no idea a gun shop in Indiana wouldn't allow concealed carry on site. I've been to the store mentioned here and if there is a sign, I completely missed it. If it's an insurance issue, they should check out who insures Bass Pro, Cabelas, Gander Mountain, Dick's, Midwest Guns, Granger Guns, and just about every other place in Indiana I've bought guns where I haven't had to check the Second Amendment at the door.....:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I know of two LGSs in the Lafayette area that had the "no loaded guns" policy initially. The first was Applied Ballistics and the second, ERG.

Before Applied opened, printmitch came on INGO and told us what his store policies would be. There was an outcry against it. I don't know how many people contacted him directly, but I know there was one, me. We PMd a couple of times, then I went in and saw him one day. I signed up for a membership that day.... after he'd told me the policy would change to "no unholstered or uncased guns". It took a bit of polite, civil discussion. He saw that what I (and maybe others) said made sense and decided to change his rule.

ERG was a little more difficult. (I don't mean they were obstinate, just that the circumstances didn't allow for discussion before they opened.) They were already open; Someone posted about them on here, and I made the statement that, seeing their sign, I would not enter. Some took me to task over it, but I held my position, that I held no animosity, I simply would respect the owner's stated wishes that I (or anyone else armed) not shop there. It was nothing personal in either direction. I've since been told that they have changed their policy and signage. I've not had opportunity to go shopping :spend: recently, so I've not been in there, but I'll be rectifying that ASAP. It works both ways: If my gun is not welcome, neither is my money, and conversely, if my gun is welcome, I'm happy to support the store.

In both cases, it obviously was not an insurance policy driving the store owner's rule.
    I know that printmitch has said clearly that if your pistol leaves its holster, you leave his store. No ifs, ands, or buts. Admittedly, he also has the benefit of having a large area (the range) where someone can safely unload to allow for test-fitting a holster or accessory.

Now, all of that said, I fully support an owner's right to decide his business' policies and rules. I will avail myself of the opportunity to discuss them with him, if he is amenable, in an effort to change them to more fully respect the reason we carry guns in the first place. What I won't do is pretend that someone who wants to welcome shooters to his business can't do so because of the "insurance scapegoat".

Blessings,
    Bill

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    I've carried in bradis and mark has never said anything to me. I've spent a lot of money in there so maybe that helps? Or maybe they just like to laugh at my goofy butt making my ars all tacticool. :)

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I've carried in bradis and mark has never said anything to me. I've spent a lot of money in there so maybe that helps? Or maybe they just like to laugh at my goofy butt making my ars all tacticool. :)

Then why have the sign?

Aaron1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I happen to think you're talking about Bradis, and if you read the signs out from it says no loaded guns... if your brother would've kept his mouth closed he wouldn't have been told to go put it in the car.
    And I guess if you don't like the rules that means more of the good deals for me! :p

Actually most gun shops I go into have the "no loaded guns" sign posted out front, but it's understood that they don't mind you carrying so long as you are licensed and have it holster. They just don't want people slamming loaded guns down on the counter. Plus it gives them a little legal cover in the case of a ND.
    That guy sounds like a total prick and has no business dealing with customers. It would have been hard for me not to flip him off and tell him he just lost out on lots of future business. Though I would have certainly told him the last part.

Last edited:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Actually most gun shops I go into have the "no loaded guns" sign posted out front, but it's understood that they don't mind you carrying so long as you are licensed and have it holster.

Then why have the sign?

Why will no one answer this question?

richardraw316

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    Then why have the sign?

Why will no one answer this question?

The sign says no loaded firearms.
    not no firearms.
    you can carry in bradis. loaded or unloaded is a dont ask dont tell policy, it seems.
    i have carried in there, and nobody asked me if it was loaded unless i took it out of the holster, then they asked. bradis for a long time had a shoot safety box thing, that you could point your weapon at while you unloaded it to bring into the store. they are trying to protect themselves and their customers from the few idiots who would put them in danger with a loaded weapon.

almost every time i go in, i unload my firearm. i forgot one time. i was talking to Richard and he wanted to see the pistol we were talking about, i rembered i had not unloaded it, excused myself, went outside, unloaded it, and went back in. its the same thing the op could have done instead of coming on here and crying a river about it.

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    The OP was not the individual who was asked to go out and disarm...The OP is not a nice man like his brother.The OP would have walked over to the gun building and carried on a conversation with Mr.Bradis's daughter or whoever is controlling the business now and found out whether or not they allowed their employees to be less than professional.(There is a neat little button on your keyboard that says "Shift",and it will allow you to capitalize when required.)

richardraw316

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    The OP was not the individual who was asked to go out and disarm...The OP is not a nice man like his brother.The OP would have walked over to the gun building and carried on a conversation with Mr.Bradis's daughter or whoever is controlling the business now and found out whether or not they allowed their employees to be less than professional.(There is a neat little button on your keyboard that says "Shift",and it will allow you to capitalize when required.)

fine, ops brother should have read the rules, stopped whining about it and shopped somewhere else.
    its funny, the best arguement against me is typing errors. thats sad bro.
    let me know what day you decide to go in to talk to her, cause i want to go in right behind you and let her know just how great all of her employess are. :draw:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    If this were Applebee's, people would be losing their crap and demanding that we practically storm the place with carry events to show them how wrong they are in their stance. I fail to see why gun shops (the one place where this shouldn't be an issue) get a free pass on banning guns. I have always maintained that a better sign is something like "Keep your loaded gun in its holster".

Amen.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Pachyderm has idea.

Why don't we work together as a group to write the text for a sign that cautions against mishandling firearms (loaded or otherwise), encourages people to unload any guns they intend to handle or display in the store before entering, and also affirms that it's okay to be carrying as long as it stays in the holster?

The, when we make some signs. We offer them to gun shops that have signs that are objectionable. If they take them and replace their sign with ours, everyone involved wins. If they refuse them, we still have some spiffy signs.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2010
    Hollow log
    ^^^ Don't bother ever calling the police or filing a law suit. Neither of them allow you to carry inside their facility either.

Because that is the same as a gun shop not not supporting your rights.

You do realize you can call the police from OUTSIDE the building right? Ive also never seen a sign posted outside any attourney.

We are talking about a GUN shop, that sells weapons for carry and probably allows their staff to carry, that wont allow the people that patronize them to carry.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Pachyderm has idea.

Why don't we work together as a group to write the text for a sign that cautions against mishandling firearms (loaded or otherwise), encourages people to unload any guns they intend to handle or display in the store before entering, and also affirms that it's okay to be carrying as long as it stays in the holster?

The, when we make some signs. We offer them to gun shops that have signs that are objectionable. If they take them and replace their sign with ours, everyone involved wins. If they refuse them, we still have some spiffy signs.
    The more words used, the less likely it is to be read and the more likely it is to be completely ignored... And then you have those that simply can't read or choose not to.

Nothing is going to be 100%, but a consistent sign would be ideal. I think to get it *right* you would need a lot of market testing to find out how true idiots would interpret (or not) the sign.

Top Bottom