What model/caliber do you carry and why?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ProLibertate

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Everyday carry is my issued Glock 23 (.40 S&W) with a Sig Sauer P238 on the ankle.

If I'm "traveling light", I'll just wear the Sig P238 at 6 o'clock IWB with a spare mag.

I did however hold a Kimber SOLO last night at Indy Trading Post.
    It's official. I'm in love. It has a trigger pull reminiscent of the Para Ordnance LDA, with the size of the Sig P238, and the grace and smooth lines of the Kimber Tactical. I am hooked. Santa?

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    Not always. Let's say you are in the mall with your family. They go one way, you go the other. You hear a commotion from down the mall a way and then hear shooting. People scatter and you see a gunman about 50 yards away firing in the direction your family just went minutes earlier. You would probably take that shot if you could, and a flat trajectory might make the difference between your stopping the gunman or just drawing his attention.

I'll give on part of that. but it's way to open ended. It could very well be that the shots are coming from where your family is and the person you see firing could be an off duty officer returning fire on the offender.

Using the same scenario that you gave, what would keep the next legal gun owner 50 yards away from you from shooting you because he thinks your a bad guy?

All I am saying is at distances that trajectory would come into play you are really taking a chance of not knowing for sure what your shooting at. A bullet drop of a couple inches max might hit the floor if your shooting at his ankle.

I have always thought that the first thing you would want is to draw the shooters attention away from the unarmed people that he is shooting at and to have to concentrate on the armed person returning fire on him.

finnegan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Clark County
    Springfield XDm .40. I work in downtown Louisville. The general modus operandi of the muggers there is multiple attackers, usually 2-4 with at least one armed. One website I saw rates cities from 1-50 for crime, 1 being terrible and 50 being very safe. Louisville got a 1. Chicago got like an 8.

Jetrefz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I prefer 9mm simply for capacity and cost. I feel it can do the job and it is easy on hands when it comes to recoil. I think the 40 is a better all round load but it is quite a bit more money if you shoot a lot

rlidgard

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    NWI
    any 1911 .45 if your carrying. slower bullet so it wont over penetrate with big impact
    if for recreation get a .22 u can get 550 rounds for 18 bucks

1911Shooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Pendleton, IN
    I seem to stick with the 1911 but I do sway from that sometimes. My normal carry gun is a full size Colt 1911. I prefer this because it was carried by our military for years and it worked, so I have confidence in it. My other carry guns are a Smith Airweight, a Colt detective special, a Glock 27, and I always have an LCP in my pocket.

Bonez87

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    Clinton, IN
    I carry a Kimber ultra crimson carry ii .45. It is lightweight, compact and shoots the large .45. Plus I love 1911's do you can't beat this little gun if you are a 1911 fan!

mschlatter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    In the Barn
    S&W bodyguard. Carrys easy, loaded up with +P ammo, came with laser sight out of the box. Never been a revolver type but this gun is changing my mind.

xring62

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    Henry county
    I carry a 9mm Firestar nickle plated,its small,its kinda cheap but a flawless working pistol,drops in jeans pocket.If I have to loose it for some reason i wont cry like loosing my Sig 220 elite.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Depends on what I am wearing and where I am going.

Running or biking, a P3AT in a SmartCarry on my strong side.
    T Shirt day, a P11 in an ankle holster.
    Shirt day a Kimber Pro in an IWB holster.
    Travel, the P3AT in my computer case.

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    I carry the following five because the internet has rated them #1 in each of their catagories.
    S&W M&P .45 #1 round for stopping power.
    Kahr Arms CW9 because it has the #1 trigger of any gun
    Radom P64 9x18mm #1 cheapest gun around. $150
    Phoenix Arms 22LR #1 in customer satisfaction
    Ruger Blackhawk .357 magnum #1 best cowboy gun ever made.
    I am only kidding about the ranking, but yes I have carried all the above within the last year. I have carried the Blackhawk many times openly and never had a problem. I have been openly carrying for years so when my neighbors see me with a gun they don't think anything about it. My favorite to carry is the S&W, it is sooo nice to have a full size gun with me as I wander around the neighborhood.
    guns028.jpg

blitzen25cat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    south east indiana
    :patriot:A colt detective special in either a Don Hume #52 owb or De Santis ankle holster. Very accurate with six shot capacity. To me shot placement is more important than caliber. Be proficient and comfortable with whatever you choose to carry. Best regards

Top Bottom