What model/caliber do you carry and why?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    9mm.

It seems many of the top trainers migrated to the .40 and some the .45 ACP, and today they are coming back to the 9mm.

People like Rob Pincus, who authored an article on why he believes he made a mistake moving away from the 9mm and why he came back to it.

Being Wrong is Important... and, Admitting It is too!

Tactical Response preaches about the qualities of the 9mm.

Suarez International is another advocate for the 9mm.

I use the 9mm because:

1) Smaller, lighter handguns
    2) More rounds in the magazine
    3) Mild recoil, quick to get back on target
    4) Many top designs, like the Glock, were originally designed around the 9mm and thus the 9mm's tend to be the most reliable caliber for the design
    5) Lots of very good defensive ammo available for it

Skyhawk

NRA Life Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 7, 2011
    Richmond Indiana
    My buddy carries a 1911. I have to admit I really like it (Kimber). My brother and my cousin both swear by glock. Both carry glock 27's. Sorry Red, I was just looking for a recent outlook on what people liked nowadays.

I carry a Glock 23 Gen 3 with TruGlo night sights. I like it because it's a .40 and it conceals well in the waist band. I have a Colt Combat Commander, .45 that I also carry in the waist band but worry about corrosion. In comparison to the Glock, it's heavy, has less rounds, but makes a bigger hole. Love 'em Both.

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    9mm.

It seems many of the top trainers migrated to the .40 and some the .45 ACP, and today they are coming back to the 9mm.

People like Rob Pincus, who authored an article on why he believes he made a mistake moving away from the 9mm and why he came back to it.

I use the 9mm because:

4) Many top designs, like the Glock, were originally designed around the 9mm and thus the 9mm's tend to be the most reliable caliber for the design

I'll add:

6) Cost

Nice article. Extra money loss should be dedicated to finding firearms that don't really work for you, not calibers.

daspurlock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    1911 for me, but this is the part I' m sure to catch grief from its a 9mm. But I like it and I can hit you with it.:draw:

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    9mm.

I use the 9mm because:

Great article, thanks for sharing it!

I initially chose 9mm for cost reasons, but came to like it for many of the reasons you stated. I ended up with an XD9sc, the idea of having 13 +1 and 2 x 16rd backups was very appealing to me.

Someone will jump in soon I am sure and say "9mm is for girls, blah blah" or "I carry a .45 for it's 'knock down' power" etc, but I can tell you, if I have to ever fire my EDC, and I pray I never do, I am NOT pulling the trigger only once..

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    I carry either a S&W mdl 360 .357, A Ruger SP101 or a Charter Arms .44spl.
    I like the .357's power and the .44's size.

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    1911 in 45 acp or one of my 40 cal pistols (Glock 22,CZ-75b,Smith & Wesson 4006 or Beretta Brigadier) If Im going somewhere I need to carry more inconspicuous ,I have a PA-63 in 9x18 Makarov IWB

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I'll add:

6) Cost

Nice article. Extra money loss should be dedicated to finding firearms that don't really work for you, not calibers.
    Yes, a gross oversight in my post. I often tell people I use 9mm because it costs roughly 1/2 as much to reload for than .40 or .45 ACP so I can practice more for the same money.

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    EDC is a rotation generally between a Wilson CQB Elite or Baer SRP. I have a Guncrafter Industries .50 cal ordered and am dying to try that beast out!
    When doing yard work or similar work, carry is a Glock 38 or 19.
    If I'm wearing a suit, it's a Wilson Stealth.
    All in a Milt Sparks Versa Max ll and loaded with Rangers.
    Nightstand gun is a Glock 37 with a Streamlite M6.

bab2000

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2011
    SW Fort Wayne
    9 mm, same as local urban law enforcement carries.

My county carries 45, so a second option to follow my logic.

Wife can also handle the 9mm round well, so present inventory supports CCW and Home protection.

z0mb13_m0nk3y

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    Indy
    Current EDC is a glock 36. Love having the .45 but recently picked up a XD40 sc. After a few days I'm already thinking the XD is gonna win over the EDC role. More comfortable in waistband carry, more comfortable in my hand, still makes a big enough hole :D

D2VW14_20

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Scottsburg In
    95% of the time is a S&W Bodyguard 380
    5% of the time is a Glock 22.

I just prefer smaller guns for carry. Im not a fanboy of you must have a .45 for it to be worth anything. I dont think carrying should be a chore and I like to be comfortable while Im carrying and honestly Im not comfortable having a cannon on my side all day.

Top Bottom