• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    First of all a carry permit in Md is not that difficult to acquire.

That's good to know. Everything I read gave me the impression that getting over the "good and substantial reason" hurdle was pretty much impossible for regular people. The examples posted on the State Police web site certainly don't make it sound very promising.

He can legally bring in any size magazines he want to Md, You may not transfer mags of more than 10 rounds inside the State of Md.

So, it's illegal to buy them in-state, but you can buy them out-of-state and bring them in?

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    That's good to know. Everything I read gave me the impression that getting over the "good and substantial reason" hurdle was pretty much impossible for regular people. The examples posted on the State Police web site certainly don't make it sound very promising.

So, it's illegal to buy them in-state, but you can buy them out-of-state and bring them in?

I know this isn't a great source..
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Maryland
    Illegal to purchase, sell or manufacture magazines with a capacity of greater than 10 rounds within Maryland. However, possession of magazines greater than 10 rounds is legal if purchased out of state. These may not, however, be transferred to a subsequent owner unless done so outside the state of Maryland.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    That's good to know. Everything I read gave me the impression that getting over the "good and substantial reason" hurdle was pretty much impossible for regular people.

"good and substantial reason" has really changed in the past two years with folks that are not self employed.
    And yes, he may bring in any size magazines he wishes to bring with him. many folks drive to VA, WV, PA or Delaware to purchase mags that arn't available in the state of MD.
    He can log on to MDSHOOTERS.COM and learn the ins and outs of how to easily get his handgun qualification card and carry permit if he wishes.
    What town is he going to be working in?

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    I know this isn't a great source..
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Maryland
    Illegal to purchase, sell or manufacture magazines with a capacity of greater than 10 rounds within Maryland. However, possession of magazines greater than 10 rounds is legal if purchased out of state. These may not, however, be transferred to a subsequent owner unless done so outside the state of Maryland.
    That is just F'n stupid.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    "good and substantial reason" has really changed in the past two years with folks that are not self employed.
    And yes, he may bring in any size magazines he wishes to bring with him. many folks drive to VA, WV, PA or Delaware to purchase mags that arn't available in the state of MD.
    He can log on to MDSHOOTERS.COM and learn the ins and outs of how to easily get his handgun qualification card and carry permit if he wishes.
    What town is he going to be working in?

Frederick

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    Glock 43...find one cheap enough and you could attach a WML and still be at or below your $500. You can fire it, clean it, put it on his nightstand...baudabeeng baudaboom

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    OP as much as your brother says he wants a 9mm pistol my vote is for a revolver. He has no experience with guns and we all know the revolver goes bang when you pull the trigger with no stovepipes or any of the other things that can happen with a semi-auto pistol. A lot of good things about a 38/357 revolver.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    He might look at living in Harpers Ferry, WV. I own property just outside of Frederick in Walkersville.
    There are quite a few guys on MDshooters that live in and around Frederick that are good guys, If he asks for help or places to shoot they will help him.

Thanks, that is very helpful.

Believe it or not, our mother's maiden name was Harper and we are actually descended from the Harper that ran the ferry the town is named after.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    He responded that he wanted a handgun. I said a revolver. He said he wanted a 9mm.

I believe I've seen 9mm revolvers. The Ruger 357/9mm convertible to name just one, but doubt it can be had for $500.

Here's one right here: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/800790818 Of course it's single action, but that may be good for a new shooter. A Gunbroker search for "Ruger 357/9mm" brings up 136 results. I didn't look at all of them.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Last edited:

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I have moon clips on my S&W 22-4 Thunder Ranch in .45ACP. Even with semi-jacketed hollow points they are like cylinder seeking guided reloads. Fastest way to reload a revolver I've ever used. Loading and unloading the clips themselves may be problematic goes much easier with a tool like found at http://www.demooner.com/product.asp...artPosition=1&strSearchCriteria=any&PT_ID=all

I have about 150 clips for it so while I may need to take a day for de-mooning and reloading on occasion I always have plenty sitting around waiting for use.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    What's the penalty for having being caught with a mag of capacity higher than 10 rounds?

The answer to THAT question would determine my answer to the question in the OP.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    What's the penalty for having being caught with a mag of capacity higher than 10 rounds?

The answer to THAT question would determine my answer to the question in the OP.

Jesus, it's not against the law MD to have and use magazines greater than 10 rounds.
    It's against the law to TRANSFER MAGAZINES GREATER THAN 10 ROUNDS INSIDE THE STATE LINES OF MARYLAND.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    He's not going to practice. He's not going to carry it. He thinks he needs a gun for the same reason that someone thinks they need a fire extinguisher. Tell him to buy a 4" revolver, .38 or .357, and a box of good quality defensive ammo. Throw it in the nightstand, where it will collect dust until either he needs it in a life or death situation, or a family member can worry about what to do with it when he is gone.

Or a kid pulls it out... or it's stolen...

There's plenty of decent locking shotgun mounts designed for closets.

But if he's got money to burn and wants to jump through the hoops... .38 special revolver and a good lock box.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Jesus, it's not against the law MD to have and use magazines greater than 10 rounds.
    It's against the law to TRANSFER MAGAZINES GREATER THAN 10 ROUNDS INSIDE THE STATE LINES OF MARYLAND.

In that case - Soon to be Maryland resident should get a G17 and a ton of standard capacity mags (Plus a few fun sticks just because). And a gun light. And a handheld light.

AND TRAINING. Training, Training, training.

Top Bottom