• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Or a kid pulls it out... or it's stolen...

There's plenty of decent locking shotgun mounts designed for closets.

But if he's got money to burn and wants to jump through the hoops... .38 special revolver and a good lock box.

Yeah, I have no idea if the guy has kids in the house or not. Something a little more secure than the nightstand might be in order if little snot factories are about. I don't have kids in the house anymore, so I've got a pistol in my nightstand. And in the end table. And in the bathroom closet. And probably a couple I've forgotten about.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    In that case - Soon to be Maryland resident should get a G17 and a ton of standard capacity mags (Plus a few fun sticks just because). And a gun light. And a handheld light.
    AND TRAINING. Training, Training, training.

I don't think a semiauto pistol is a good idea for anyone who is not really into guns and doesn't seem like he's going to practice. Not everyone is interested in being a junior operator. A basic familiarity with a revolver will do just fine. Lots of non-operators have successfully defended their homes with a revolver.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Ok, so I looked at a LOT of guns at the NRA convention trying to figure out what I could recommend to my brother. I discovered something I didn't know before... I really don't like the triggers on striker-fired pistols. I used to have a M1911, along with a bunch of mil-surp pistols, and now I normally shoot a couple of CZ's and a S&W revolver. Consequently, I had never really bothered to try any striker fired pistols before, besides old German Lugers. I tried a whole bunch of the modern polymer pistols today, and didn't care for any of them. The one I liked the best was the Canik TP9DA of all things, I wasn't really expecting that, but I still wouldn't say I liked it compared to what I'm used to.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    OP as much as your brother says he wants a 9mm pistol my vote is for a revolver. He has no experience with guns and we all know the revolver goes bang when you pull the trigger with no stovepipes or any of the other things that can happen with a semi-auto pistol. A lot of good things about a 38/357 revolver.

9mm revolver?

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    We don't really need to go down the 9mm revolver track again. I might mention the S&W Bodyguard in .38 to him. I looked at those at the convention and I don't know if I would want to shoot it much at the range, but it may be a good choice for what he wants.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    We don't really need to go down the 9mm revolver track again. I might mention the S&W Bodyguard in .38 to him. I looked at those at the convention and I don't know if I would want to shoot it much at the range, but it may be a good choice for what he wants.

A snub nosed .38 is quite possibly one of the worst choices for a novice.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    This.

Plus even 5-6 .38 Special out of a revolver still isn't much. My cousin knows of a woman who had to defend herself. S&W Model 10. 6 rounds. 5 hits on the bad guy. https://abcnews.go.com/US/georgia-mom-hiding-kids-shoots-intruder/story?id=18164812

It barely worked out for her. IMO, 5-6 rounds...of anything... just isn't enough. Too many variables.

I wasn't really making any comment about the effectiveness of the caliber or the capacity. The .38 Special has put plenty of bad guys in the dirt. But the snub nosed revolver, with it's short barrel, crappy sights (usually), and even crappier DA trigger, along with the harsh recoil of the lighter models, make it a difficult piece to master. It's not something for someone who is not interested in practicing regularly.

Sometimes 33 rounds and 14 hits with a .45 ACP is barely enough. Whatcha' gonna do now? :):

https://www.policeone.com/police-he...one-cop-carries-145-rounds-of-ammo-on-the-job

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I will chime in!

7 shot .357 or .38 revolver Ruger, S&W, Taurus make doesn’t really matter used or new is not going to see much use.
    Even a good model 10 or 66 or a clone will work.
    The D/A trigger provides a margin of safety in untrained or slightly trained hands IMO. The 5 pound or so trigger on the striker fired automatics is a risk with a untrained shooter plus the added complexity of operation with the auto takes one off the table.

This will be a “night stand” weapon not a state of the art carry weapon a 4 or even 6 inch k frame sized revolver would be a wise choice.
    The snub nose .38 is not a good choice in this situation as a BUG or lightweight carry in the hands of trained person its OK. I think it’s a better choice than the auto as BUG in a close fight you can fire it inside a pocket or in skin contact you are probably in trouble if employing a BUG.

This interview is with a Chicago PD LT. that survived 14 gunfights.
    He is not a “gun guy” much to be learned from this man.
    The ballistic gel tests, gun tests, reviews of nightmare situations where mind over matter prevails are great.
    IMO far too much information in this field are based on conjecture and theory in place of facts.
    https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/02/17/interview-bob-stasch-chicago-pd-veteran-14-gunfights/

Last edited:

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    i would suggest a S&W M69, and shoot .44 Specials in it. SWC ammo along the lines of the HG #68 type bullet. Since he lives in New Jersey, HP's are banned. A big bullet with a sharp cutting shoulder is the ticket. Or, maybe he could move away (not to New York) and enjoy some freedom.

afcolt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    Madison Co.
    He's not going to practice. He's not going to carry it. He thinks he needs a gun for the same reason that someone thinks they need a fire extinguisher. Tell him to buy a 4" revolver, .38 or .357, and a box of good quality defensive ammo. Throw it in the nightstand, where it will collect dust until either he needs it in a life or death situation, or a family member can worry about what to do with it when he is gone.

Pretty much what I was thinking with this. Go with an inexpensive, but reliable revolver in .38 and go from there. You might want to check out one of the older Taurus 856s, Model 82, or something along those lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SALJER

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    BEL AIR
    If he is not a shooter then a 357 revolver with 38 specials would be a good choice. Anything with more recoil or a semi auto would create problems.

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    And if he is not gonna practice and really learn to fire it. I'd say the probability of him "limp-wristing" it when he attempts to fire it are high. And that is certain FAILURE. He might as well buy a rock.... LOL

Top Bottom