• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I very much appreciate all of the advice and opinions, but especially the help of Clay Pigeon regarding Maryland's laws.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I wasn't really making any comment about the effectiveness of the caliber or the capacity. The .38 Special has put plenty of bad guys in the dirt. But the snub nosed revolver, with it's short barrel, crappy sights (usually), and even crappier DA trigger, along with the harsh recoil of the lighter models, make it a difficult piece to master. It's not something for someone who is not interested in practicing regularly.

Sometimes 33 rounds and 14 hits with a .45 ACP is barely enough. Whatcha' gonna do now? :):

https://www.policeone.com/police-he...one-cop-carries-145-rounds-of-ammo-on-the-job

Fake news! Everyone knows that one hit with 45 ACP will not only kill a bad guy, but steal his soul as well!

DFacres

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2015
    This sphere
    +1 to not moving there. After living in the major anti 2nd State of IL for years where you have to have a FOID card (firearm owner ID), just to touch ammunition & firearms, we are blessed here in Indiana

Last edited:

Jeepfanatic

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2018
    Plainfield
    My wife and I just moved back after living in Maryland for 7 years. The areas outside of Baltimore and the DC Metro area are beautiful and the seafood is amazingly fresh. Those are the two high points of the state.

Taxes, home prices, cost of living, congestion, crime and stifling liberal regulations are what one can expect to encounter the most.

Tell him not to move there as it is only getting worse.

Last edited:

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I'm taking a different route. Why, after all of these years, is he wanting a gun? Does he have medical issues or personal issues that would cause him to want to harm himself? I know people who have, "out of the blue" stated that they wanted a gun. As it turned out, they didn't get one. They actually were thinking about suicide. I'd try to get to the basic reasons he wants a gun.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    I'm taking a different route. Why, after all of these years, is he wanting a gun? Does he have medical issues or personal issues that would cause him to want to harm himself? I know people who have, "out of the blue" stated that they wanted a gun. As it turned out, they didn't get one. They actually were thinking about suicide. I'd try to get to the basic reasons he wants a gun.

Wow... He's a grown man, he doesn't have to answer to anyone why he wants a gun.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    My wife and I just moved back after living in Maryland for 7 years. The areas outside of Baltimore and the DC Metro area are beautiful and the seafood is amazingly fresh. Those are the two high points of the state.

Taxes, home prices, cost of living, congestion, crime and stifling liberal regulations are what one can expect to encounter the most.

Tell him not to move there as it is only getting worse.

You certainly missed the true high points of Maryland, How about the Chesapeke Bay, Eastern Shore, Delmarva shores and the Allegheny Mountains.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

Wow... He's a grown man, he doesn't have to answer to anyone why he wants a gun.

True, but it is a valid point.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy

If this is the case, a Mossberg Shockwave would be about the same cost as a budget revolver, yet much more suited for the purpose. No worries about mag capacity, either.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    First: Do not move to Maryland
    Second: Get an appropriate shotgun
    Third: Pray you will never use the weapon in self defense because if you do; you will likely be prosecuted
    Best of luck!

Jeepfanatic

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2018
    Plainfield
    You certainly missed the true high points of Maryland, How about the Chesapeke Bay, Eastern Shore, Delmarva shores and the Allegheny Mountains.

Read my post again. I most certainly did not. Unfortunately the sprawl from DC, Annapolis and Baltimore is taking over that entire region and infecting all of the former safe zones with drugs and crime. We moved to Crofton where my wife was born and raised. In the last 6 months that we lived there there were 6 armed robberies 3 blocks down the road from our house. Our realtor who lived 2 blocks in the other direction had a teenage kid pull a gun on him after getting caught trying to break into the guy's car that was parked in the attached garage.

The solution to every problem is to blame the law abiding citizens and to raise taxes.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Read my post again. I most certainly did not. Unfortunately the sprawl from DC, Annapolis and Baltimore is taking over that entire region and infecting all of the former safe zones with drugs and crime. We moved to Crofton where my wife was born and raised. In the last 6 months that we lived there there were 6 armed robberies 3 blocks down the road from our house. Our realtor who lived 2 blocks in the other direction had a teenage kid pull a gun on him after getting caught trying to break into the guy's car that was parked in the attached garage.

The solution to every problem is to blame the law abiding citizens and to raise taxes.

Not a knock, but as a kid who grew up between my fathers house in Bethesda and a mother in Annapolis in the 60's- 70's Crofton / Bowie had issues then.
    I lived in Md from being born in Suburban through the next 45 years. I still own property there.
    So you think its sprawl is not happening here with the bedroom community's of Indianapolis.
    Whats the crime rate in Plainfield now?

Top Bottom