• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    We need Oak River to weigh-in here, but zero of the Irish people (as opposed to Americans of Irish descent) I've met would eat corned beef on St. Patrick's day (they all said they would usually have bacon, i.e. ham).

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    We need Oak River to weigh-in here, but zero of the Irish people (as opposed to Americans of Irish descent) I've met would eat corned beef on St. Patrick's day (they all said they would usually have bacon, i.e. ham).
    That is correct. Usually it was potatoes, cabbage, bacon, and often gravy. Bacon was much more common in Ireland than corned beef so it took me a while to get used to that, and getting some strange looks for asking what made corned beef so popular.

Growing up corned beef was that grainy meat that came from a can, and I could not understand how it was so popular. Turns out that it something completely different.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I don't have superstitions, but I have mild OCD. Some of my OCD tendencies might seem like superstitious acts.

This one is more religious, but I do the sign of the cross for all emergency vehicles en route and all ambulances regardless. My baby brother died in transit multiple times, years ago. He eventually made it, but I hope a little prayer helps someone someday.

If I trip or swipe/hit something on one side of my body I have to balance it out. Sometimes i over compensate and have to rebalance it out. Everything has to be symmetrical and balanced, even my energies.

I guess those are my two weirder ones. A bunch of little things that my fiancee could list but I do without thought. Half are her pet peeves, the other half either amuse or benefit her.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    That is correct. Usually it was potatoes, cabbage, bacon, and often gravy. Bacon was much more common in Ireland than corned beef so it took me a while to get used to that, and getting some strange looks for asking what made corned beef so popular.

Growing up corned beef was that grainy meat that came from a can, and I could not understand how it was so popular. Turns out that it something completely different.

I just had this conversation with my fil last week over corned beef and cabbage. Apparently when he joked about a very authentic Irish place not being Irish if they didn't even have corned beef and cabbage..... he go an earful and a quick concise history lesson on the Irish migration follow the potato famine. It was interesting to say the least. I love corned beef haha

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw

And just for clarity, the bacon you’re referring to is not the bacon that most folks buy in the US. It’s more like sliced ham. Really what we usually call Canadian bacon here in the States.

The canned or “tinned” corned beef is ok. But not so great, usually, kind of like canned ham. But I do like it for camping and/or sandwiches. But then I kind of like SPAM as a novelty meat...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I just had this conversation with my fil last week over corned beef and cabbage. Apparently when he joked about a very authentic Irish place not being Irish if they didn't even have corned beef and cabbage..... he go an earful and a quick concise history lesson on the Irish migration follow the potato famine. It was interesting to say the least. I love corned beef haha

Here's some history on the subject, noting the why the differences exist between Irish, and Irish-Americans.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/is-corned-beef-really-irish-2839144/

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    New Year's Day the better 2/3's rolled out two crusts. One Greek pizza (simmered onion-tomato-fennel sauce, feta, mozzarella, heavy on the spinach and oil cured olives) and the other one fresh tomatoes and pepperoni. Was her turn to cook 'cause the day before I made hammered out chicken breasts marinated in butter milk, stuffed with smoked ham and colbyjack with spicy cracker crusts, fresh green beans and mounds of mashed taters. Out heritage is kinda German-Swedish-English-Mexican with a dash of Bowles so most anything is liable to happen.

Last edited:

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    Yeah, there were a lot of changes that came about after The Famine. One of the bigger ones was that when the Irish moved over they went from mainly poor, rural areas to poor inner city areas and didn't have the same land to raise their livestock.

And just for clarity, the bacon you’re referring to is not the bacon that most folks buy in the US. It’s more like sliced ham. Really what we usually call Canadian bacon here in the States.

The canned or “tinned” corned beef is ok. But not so great, usually, kind of like canned ham. But I do like it for camping and/or sandwiches. But then I kind of like SPAM as a novelty meat...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah, the bacon is really different. The closest that you can get here is back bacon. It is usually meatier and thicker cut;
    file.jpg

Canadian bacon is usually less fatty and more shaped.

Proper Irish bacon is integral in The Breakfast of Champions;
    irish-breakfast-at-mj-o-connor-s-back-bay.jpg

IndyGal65

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Speedway, IN
    When boarding a plane, I always use my right hand to gently tap the outside of the plane twice. Then I'm paranoid that the crew is thinking I planted something on the outside of the plane. Weird, I know.

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    I have a lot of the same here ....
    Penny heads up , pick it up - Face down , leave it on the ground
    Never rock an empty rocking chair
    A bird gets in your house , means a death in the family
    Always left sock , right sock , left shoe , right shoe
    Always leave the house with .21 cents in my pocket ( only two dimes and a penny ) for luck
    Won`t walk under a ladder
    Hand someone a closed knife , they need to return it closed and vice versa
    Don`t let a baby under 1 year old look into a mirror ( bad luck )

I could keep going .....but it`s BAD LUCK to share more than 8 superstitions at one time :D

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    When boarding a plane, I always use my right hand to gently tap the outside of the plane twice. Then I'm paranoid that the crew is thinking I planted something on the outside of the plane. Weird, I know.
    Touching the outside of the plane prior to entering is done by many people. Not sure about the tapping twice bit. :rockwoot:

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    I have a lot of the same here ....
    Penny heads up , pick it up - Face down , leave it on the ground
    Never rock an empty rocking chair
    A bird gets in your house , means a death in the family
    Always left sock , right sock , left shoe , right shoe
    Always leave the house with .21 cents in my pocket ( only two dimes and a penny ) for luck
    Won`t walk under a ladder
    Hand someone a closed knife , they need to return it closed and vice versa
    Don`t let a baby under 1 year old look into a mirror ( bad luck )

I could keep going .....but it`s BAD LUCK to share more than 8 superstitions at one time :D

But you did nine. :runaway:

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi

I did this with dirt bikes and motor cycles growing up, then when I started flying in the corps, it became religious. To me it was letting the ole girl know I needed her to do her part, and I would do mine. Just the same, I sweet talked my bird and bike, never cursed it.

Top Bottom