• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Never get a hair cut, shave or trim your nails on the same day (or day before) your favorite sports team plays a game.

And no, I'm not kidding.

Generally, I don't believe in such things, but I have the annoying tendency to believe that my actions somehow affect the outcome of sporting events that I am merely watching.

In fact, they do! it is, like the Dark Side of the Force, unnatural...

My only superstitions have to do with how I can affect the outcome of sporting events based on my behavior. I know it’s complete BS, but I still have superstitions when I watch a Colts or Pacers game.

Never wear the opposing team's colors on the day of a game, either. Bad juju. Blue jeans are an exception however, because blue jeans trump team colors due to how common they are.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I really don't have any "superstitious" habits.
    BUT......

As a kid I never ate the last chip/snack/cookie or drink of soda/milk/juice. (I was the youngest) I never really "finished off" anything. This way the last person to touch it was the one who ate it all, not me. The thought at first was kind of a respectful thing but ends up being a bit spiteful when there's a huge bag or box on the shelf with just one bite left. Or barely a sip of whatever drink left. This would **** off my family all the time. Now it's mostly just me in the house, and I still do it. And I hate myself for doing that.... to myself. :xmad:

I'm a bastard!

Sometime we should talk ghost stories.
    I grew up in a old haunted house in CA and have worked in a couple haunted theatres. My family and I have had more than a few interesting experiences. In fact the house I'm living in today has had it's share of "happenings". It was made in the late 1800s and both my parents died here. My dad died in the room I'm in..... right now. :nailbite:

I do find it better to talk about such things in person though.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    During my long career in distance running, (over 600 races) I always ran the last 1/2 mile of the course as part of my warm-up. But I NEVER ran across the finish line while warming up. Everybody knows that is bad luck ;)

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    One of my parents was born on a Friday the 13th, so a lot of the usual superstitions I don't have. One of the few:

Death comes in 3s

Full moons; drivers and people in general get weird....er

Never believed in the knife thing, either opening/closing or the penny. If possible I hand a knife closed more as a courtesy

There is a pilot's corollary to this, that aviation accidents come in threes. Don't know if I really believe it, but after one I always wait for the other two shoes to drop and I can't recall the expectation being unfulfilled

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    A young man just recounted a story from this years deer season about a haint.
    He was hunting on Goosetown ridge in a tree stand and heard a wagon and horse team bouncing down a old trail that runs along the top of the ridge.
    According to him you could hear the horses snorting, the rattle of the bits, the wheels squeaking? He heard this on two occasions just before day light the old trail hasn’t been in use for over 100 years and has deep ruts from wagons still visible.

I have no superstitious beliefs but stories like Indies and this young man sometimes make me think when in the deep woods!

Been hearing about Goosetown Ridge since I moved out here, I live just across the holler from it! More than one haint up there, I will say that much!

Most superstitions I have have already been mentioned.When I first started dating The Boss I learned REAL fast not to ask her (ER nurse at the time AND a redhead) (and yes, I like living dangerously:abused:) if she was having a quiet shift!

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    I'm not overly superstitious, but I do avoid setting the volume on my tv or car radio on 13. It's either 12 or 14, but not 13.
    Maybe I like tempting fate but I think my volume is almost always on 13. Sometimes when The Boss changes it I'll put it right back just to mess with her! I also always asked for 13 as a uniform number back in the day.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Been hearing about Goosetown Ridge since I moved out here, I live just across the holler from it! More than one haint up there, I will say that much!

Most superstitions I have have already been mentioned.When I first started dating The Boss I learned REAL fast not to ask her (ER nurse at the time AND a redhead) (and yes, I like living dangerously:abused:) if she was having a quiet shift!

Where is Goosetown Ridge?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    I shoot a rimfire bowling pin league we can load 10 rounds, and I shoot them all, I don’t take one back, if I knock them all down in 7, I shoot the other 3 down range, if I have a jam, all the bullets get dumped in my range bag to be shot at another time (plinking)

i shoot the same gun at steel challenge and it kills me not to shoot them all down range, so what I do is at the end of the match is all the bullets in that row (100 round boxes) get dumped in the bag to be shot at a later date (plinking).

so my open box of ammo Is always in multiples of 10, having an odd row of 5 bullets is just wrong!

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    That's a dangerous combination. She can put the hurt on you, and patch you up afterwards so that she can do it all over again :D

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Not my superstition beliefs but an old woman in Bedford kept knives laying everywhere and glued screen material over her door locks to keep ghosts out.
    She had a green eye and a blue eye.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Just search engine'd superstition to see how varied the definitions are; it was interesting to consider biases at work in the minds of some who base beliefs upon a lack of knowledge. And then to reflect upon the fact that apparently that is exactly what we all do. Unavoidably. All of us. All we can work with is what we have!

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    New Year's Eve edition, after talking to my mother.
    -Don't wash clothes today, or you may wash someone out of your life
    -Make sure to have money in your pocket to bring in the new year (having money means you'll have enough all year, having none means you'll be broke all year)

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Funny. My wife's family has one that the first person to come through the front door has to be a man. Her mother and grandmother would kick their husbands out right before midnight and have them come back in right after midnight. That doesn't happen with this generation.

Top Bottom