• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I appreciate the gesture of being informed, but it's not required (in Indiana). All I will say, is don't lie if asked.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Indiana doesn't require that you inform, but I have always done so, if for nothing else than to keep the LEO from having a misunderstanding should he spot it.

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    It's nice to know before you open the glove box that there is a firearm inside. Same goes for any other compartments you may be rustling around in. Keeping your hands on the wheel while I am walking to and from your vehicle is a nice gesture as well.

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    No, you do not have to inform. If they ask, which they likely won't unless you're acting nervous, just let em know you have one.

This is good advice. For a simple traffic infraction I don't need someone to inform me, but I don't mind if they want to either. Guns don't jump out of holsters and shoot officers, hands taking them out of the holsters do, so as long as you follow my politely delivered request to keep your hands on the steering wheel when I am near the vehicle, (except when I ask you to retrieve documents, etc.), I don't care if you are legally carrying 5 guns on you. People acting shifty in the car (lots of movement, turning around to see officer, etc) is what is going to get the officer on higher alert.

Last edited:

Bob2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 24, 2010
    Pull over when and where you feel safe.

Put vehicle in park. Unlock doors and roll up windows.

Jump out of the vehicle and sceam I have a gun!

No... you are doing it wrong. Safely sit in your car with hands on steering wheel.... holding your gun so the LEO is informed you have one (LOL)

Tooms

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 12, 2016
    Johnson County
    I just hand them my drivers license and gun permit. That way there are no surprises for either of us.

If an officer has a legitimate need to disarm you, its best you offer to let them remove the gun from you. If you did it yourself a second officer or video camera could take it the wrong way.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    I just hand them my drivers license and gun permit. That way there are no surprises for either of us.

If an officer has a legitimate need to disarm you, its best you offer to let them remove the gun from you. If you did it yourself a second officer or video camera could take it the wrong way.

I do not consent to any searches or seizures of my person or property, but I will comply with all lawful orders.

Top Bottom